• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LOST: The Final Season (Spoilers)

Fiery_Dragon

First Post
I liked it a lot. I've waited since last season to see if Jack's plan (Daniel's plan, really) would work and reset them back to flight 815 or would fail to work and leave them on the island, and I wasn't sure if I had a preference.

I'm so excited that the writers decided to go with both ideas.

The "Revised" 815 crew were thinking about firing the bomb and destroying the Swan and therefore saving their plane from the crash. I love the fact that the bomb went off and didn't just reset their lives, but sent ripples out, changing things from the late '70s forward. Desmond ended up on the flight; Boone couldn't retrieve his sister; Hurley is the luckiest guy; Oceanic has a terrible track record with cargo. And, for some reason, the island has sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

In terms of characters, it's cool to see that, despite the fact they're not stranded on the island together, they are still drawn together. Which means that we haven't been following random, arbitrary characters for the past 5 seasons, but people that are destined to intertwine in each other's lives.

Meanwhile, the Island crew leave the '70s and catch up with the rest of the show. We get confirmation that Lock is the Smoke Monster (suspected after last season), we see inside the temple and find the missing tailies that were taken by the Others so long ago; we see the Others' "Lazarus Pit," and I think that may be a hint to how Richard stays so young. Also, hints that Richard came as part of the Black Rock slave cargo.

Looking forward to Jin and Sun being reunited on the island; also, sad that the Revised versions may not find their love again. It's a great way for the writers to give us opposing stories at the same time.

I'm most excited at the possibility that there's aren't alternate dimensions, but co-exist. Reset Jack on the plane in 2004 could, eventually, hook up with Island Jack in 2007. Or, what if they can start sharing thoughts and working together?

Anyway, great new possibilities and interesting story structure. Fun times ahead, and the secret I've found to loving this show is enjoying the journey and not worrying about the destination.

LightPhoenix

First Post
My theory is that the non-crash scenes are basically the denouement; what happens after they do stop the crash. However, having an episode that is basically following up on their normal lives is boring. So the writers are giving us the end and the follow-up at the same time, through the idea that the bomb both worked and didn't work.

I guess it's Schrodinger's Bomb.

Richards

Legend
Yeah, my son coined a new term for these alternate reality scenes. In the first 4 seasons, we had the regular story and the flashbacks. Then, last season, we had "flashforwards." Now, this season, apparently we're getting "flashsideways."

Johnathan

Demmero

Explorer
we see inside the temple and find the missing tailies that were taken by the Others so long ago;

I've been wondering myself if we'd see them again. It looked to me like Cindy (the stewardess) had perhaps risen a few rungs on the Others' power ladder; she certainly didn't look like she'd just popped back out of the late 70s. It seems that the island's "record skipping" time jumps didn't affect her, though she crashed on the island at the same time as Sawyer, Hurley, and the rest. Not touched by Jacob, perhaps?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads