• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost

Steverooo

First Post
It's An Old Story

The Grumpy Celt said:
A few years ago, there was a TV pilot for a show that was never made. I mean the pilot was made but it never turned into a TV. Not that the network aired a pilot that had never been made.

In any event, it featured a bunch of people who did not get along very well, and all of whom had secrets, marooned on an island. I forget if it was a plane crash or a shipwreck.

So on the island some of them are killed by mysterious things in the jungle – naturally the island was large and mostly covered in dense jungle.

The survivors discover an abandoned and ruined laboratory complex on the island that apparently was into genetic experimentation and the nasties they made revolted killed (and ate) the scientists and then fled into the jungle.

And the marooned people were stuck on this island with the monsters but without a convent coffee shop.

But it never got made into a show. The pilot/movie airs every now and then on ScFi.

I don’t think the creators of “Lost” stole this idea. The idea of being marooned someplace far from home with monsters is fairly classic. But it interesting that in the decade or so since that other pilot was made, society has shifted just enough to give a show like this a reasonable chance.

The Killer Shrews, circa 1950-60, starring James Best and Inga Gouda (Miss Universe 1957) had much the same plot. Skipper and mate delivering supplies to an island just before a hurricane meet doctor and assisstants who have increased the size of shrews. They've escaped and eaten everything else on the island, and the scientists hope they'll quickly starve and die out. Instead, they start eating the scientists. Once the hurricane blows over, the "good guys" escape by crawling inside inverted oil drums attached together...

Y'see, the bite of a killer shrew is deadly poisonous. I kinda doubt that this one will be quite as bad. At least it's in color!

Krieg

First Post
Maxwell's Demon said:
A retooled "Gilligan's Island" as seen by the Brothers Grimm.
Well crap, that actually makes it sound far more interesting than the commercials I've seen thus far...

I'm going to have to yoink that to use as an idea in my Grimm/Cthulhu Dreamlands game...hmm.

Last edited:

dreaded_beast

First Post
I only caught the first 15 minutes, since I was heading out the door to my DND game, hehe. Every Wednesday night.

Anyways, I dug it and told my GF to record it so I can watch it later. We thought it was amusing however since it is shot in Hawaii and that is where we happen to live. We were trying to guess what parts of the island the different scenes were at. The beach looked familiar, but then again almost every beach in Hawaii looks like that. (I could be biased though since I'm not really into beaches :p)

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I suspect we will all be pleasently suprised. J.J. Abrams is the director (Alias) and he clearled used some of the same actors (Kendall from Alias was the guy with the orange in his mouth and the pilot was Weiss).

My guess is that if Abrams is at the helm there will be some psuedo-science so that the idea of weird experiements may not be far off the mark of possibility. I was talking it over with someone and I thought that the execs may have been concerned about letting possible viewers think it has a sci-fi/fantasy twist to to, afterall there are many who do not like that kind of thing. Instead, focus on the disaster part, suck in the audience, and then throw out your sci fi stuff.

Dreeble

First Post
Heya:

Bill Laimbeer was a basketball player (for the Detroit Pistons, right?) who was known as a dirty player. Michael Jordan once said he wouldn't play golf with Laimbeer because he'd be afraid he'd get fouled going to the hole. Laimbeer played one of the Sleestaks. I just learned this a couple of months ago. Woo.

Random musings: My guess: Robodino. Those sounds seem mechanical. Another guess: The dog will be an "angel". I agree with somebody above that the guy from X-Files/Millenium is there _because_ he was on X-Files and Millenium. The "thinning of the herd" won't be fast or complete. The red shirts need to be made to last, I think.

Take care,
Dreeble

John Crichton

First Post
Crothian said:
Is he directing or writing? As a director he won't have a lot of say in the plots and the sets ups
He did both for the pilot. And as creator/producer he has the most say about the direction of the plots/writing.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads