• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost

Fast Learner

First Post
It's funny, right after I posted that and went off and got in my car, I thought "I should have written MPD, d'oh!" I posted the same comment on another board and used schizophrenia there, too. Fortunately there I managed to edit it before anyone commented.

I do know the difference and shouldn't have used the vernacular.

So... I think he's got MPD! Just you wait, you can tell people you heard it from me first. :)

Tinner

First Post
What Dreams May Come

Is what this last episode reminded me of.
Other posters have already made this comment, but I have to agree - I think they're all dead.
The comment of the black woman that her husband wasn't dead, and "Maybe that's what they think about us." really seemed too much of a clue.
And if this guy in the suit really does turn out to be who the preview trailer implied, then I'm thinking it's even more likely that they are all in the afterlife.
You what else this reminds me of? That TBS movie a few years ago with the cowboys trapped in the afterlife ... dangit, what was that called, Perdition? Purgatory? Google is giving me no help here.
It had a similar plot of people in a certain town trapped in the afterlife and not really realizing it. I'm currently leaning towards that thought for Lost too.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I don't think they are going to be giving out any real answers any time soon. I think they are just going to give us enough information to hang ideas on. Which is what I like. :)

John Crichton

First Post
Silver Moon said:
Too cheap? This show has some of the best visuals I've ever seen. I don't think they've been cheap about anything - I'd bet the per episode costs are very very high.
Agreed. They have done a wonderful job with the visual aspects of the show. Sure, the animals were fake. No big deal. Should we be expecting that they use real boar?

The ending really got me good. I knew something was up but quickly forgot about it as the show continued (the initial toe wiggle got my attention). I can't wait to learn more about the rest of the characters.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Are they dead?

Personally, I find the theory that they are dead somewhat unsatisfying. First, it's interesting, but it doesn't really help explain the polar bear or the wierdness of the transmission or the crash itself (any of which of course could simply be red herrings). Second, it's too much like "and they wake up, and it was all a dream!", with the lack of dramatic tension that entails.

IMO, they are not dead in the "What Dreams May Come" sense. On the other hand, they might have died yet be physically incarnated, such as "Inferno" or Riverworld/"To Your Scattered Bodies Go". Not necessarily alot of difference between that and being stranded in an alternate dimension.

I do like the idea that everyone who is on the island is there because at least subconsciously they wanted to be there, at least at the time of the crash. As the series progresses, we'll get the flashbacks to understand why. Similarly, if the wish-fulfillment mechanism (if it exists) is based on subconscious desires, the flashbacks can set up how certain "bizarre" effects are related to the castaway's history. In that sense, the show is really just one big psychological study.

-RedShirt

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Locke

John Locke, that is. I'm sure I read Locke in undergrad, but it's pretty fuzzy now. This seems reliable:

http://www.philosophypages.com/ph/lock.htm said:
The fundamental principles of Locke's philosophy are presented in An Essay Concerning Human Understanding (1690), the culmination of twenty years of reflection on the origins of human knowledge. According to Locke, what we know is always properly understood as the relation between ideas, and he devoted much of the Essay to an extended argument that all of our ideas—simple or complex—are ultimately derived from experience. The consequence of this empiricist approach is that the knowledge of which we are capable is severely limited in its scope and certainty. Our knowledge of material substances, for example, depends heavily on the secondary qualities by reference to which we name them, while their real inner natures derive from the primary qualities of their insensible parts.

Nevertheless, Locke held that we have no grounds for complaint about the limitations of our knowledge, since a proper application of our cognitive capacities is enough to guide our action in the practical conduct of life. The Essay brought great fame, and Locke spent much of the rest of his life responding to admirers and critics by making revisions in later editions of the book, including detailed accounts of human volition and moral freedom, the personal identity on which our responsibility as moral agents depends, and the dangers of religious enthusiasm. One additional section that was never included in the Essay itself is Of the Conduct of the Understanding, a practical guide to the achievement of useful beliefs about the world.
-RedShirt

Bill Scott

First Post
Tinner said:
That TBS movie a few years ago with the cowboys trapped in the afterlife ... dangit, what was that called, Perdition? Purgatory? Google is giving me no help here.

It had a similar plot of people in a certain town trapped in the afterlife and not really realizing it. I'm currently leaning towards that thought for Lost too.

I liked that movie and I think it was called Purgatory. I'll look it up on IMDB to see if we're right. I know it had Eric Roberts as a black hat and Randy Quade as Doc Holiday

Back on topic, I am starting to buy into the idea that the spirit of the island is causing the thoughts of the survivors to manifest. Here is why I think this

It is pouring down rain so dad can't go look for the dog. Walt, I think that's what the kid's name is, 'wishes' it would stop raining and it does immediately

The Sawyer dude would have to be be an excellent shot to take down a charging bear like he did. Now he missed fatally shooting a guy that can't move at point blank range? I don't think so. I think Sawyer did kill him and Jack 'wished' him back to life

Then Jack tells Sawyer that the marshal will suffer for a long while, I think he said several hours, before he dies and is almost immediately proven wrong. I think the grief stricken Sawyer 'wished' the marshal dead

Then we have what I feel is the clincher which is, or was, Locke's former paralysis. Being close to the fire after the plane crashed, he 'wished' his legs would work and they do.

As long as I'm on the subject of Locke, I am thinking that he will be a minor villain of the series due to his abused background. I think he knows the secret of the island and wants to keep it to himself for a sense of power

Bill Scott said:
The Sawyer dude would have to be be an excellent shot to take down a charging bear like he did. Now he missed fatally shooting a guy that can't move at point blank range? I don't think so. I think Sawyer did kill him and Jack 'wished' him back to life
I think you have to look deeper into the subtext of the events. Sawyer was trying awfully hard to come across as the big macho guy on the island. I tacked up his killing of the bear as a combination of A) his probable ability to use a gun - might be a hunter or other enthusiast, and/or B) external events we aren't privy to yet. Whatever could bring a polar bear to the tropics and keep it alive could certainly kill it, too, and maybe the shooting was coincidental or meant to throw everyone off.

But as for killing the marshal, what that confirmed to me was that killing an animal and killing a man are psychologically not the same thing. Sawyer is no more of an executioner than Jack (up to that point at least), despite his macho posturing. Basically, he flinched.

Bill Scott said:
Then Jack tells Sawyer that the marshal will suffer for a long while, I think he said several hours, before he dies and is almost immediately proven wrong. I think the grief stricken Sawyer 'wished' the marshal dead
At least on that point, I pretty sure it was implicit in that scene that Jack "finished off" the marshal. A recurring theme in that episode was that the survivors are not who they were on the mainland anymore; they were "in the wild", as Sawyer put it. One of the ideas that Jack had to come to grips with was that he would not be able to save everyone on the island, and certainly not the horribly wounded marshal. His Hippocratic oath was rendered moot. By mercy-killing the marshal (he goes in the tent, the marshal suddenly expires...you do the math :]) Jack's undergoes an important transformation from idealist to realist.

I guess if you want to you can assign supernatural causes to everything that's happened so far, but I'm just taking a whack at it with Ockam's razor ;).

Last edited:

Negative Zero

First Post
yeah, i'm not so quick to buy the "too cheap" POV yet. the pilot did cost 10 mil afterall, the most expensive pilot ever made IIRC.

~NegZ

Last edited:

stevelabny

Explorer
was speculating the sawyer isnt the tough guy he pretends to be, and is quite probably not as full of testosterone back in the real world.
then speculated that his letter is a dear john letter.
to which i said out loud with everyone in the room with me who knows how i think...
FROM JOHN.

Remove ads