• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LotR RPG? Anyone getting this?

GrimJesta

First Post
http://decipher.com/lordoftherings/rpg/lotrrpgreleaseschedule.html

At that link above I saw that the LotR RPG is finally coming out. Granted, I personally will be buying it simply because I am a huge Tolkien fan (I will not abandon d20. Its too awesome and Ive pumped TOO much cash into it). But I am curious as to how many people are planning on getting this game?

I am also wondering how many people have played the Star Trek RPG. The systems are supposed to have similiar core mechanics and I want to know if they suck or not.

-=grim=-

I fully intend to get at least the core book. Everything after that is negotiable and depends on how much I like the first one.

Of course, I doubt I'll ever play it. As much as I love Tolkien's world, I don't think I'd want to play in it, simply because I don't feel I--or any other DM I've ever met--could truly capture the feel. But I love the setting, and while I'm not anxious to get into a new system, I'm always looking for details, both mechanical and setting, that I can steal for my own D&D games.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
There is a fairly possitive new review of the new Star Trek RPG in rpg.net . You can go there and read about the rules :)

Ranger REG

Explorer
GrimJesta said:
I am also wondering how many people have played the Star Trek RPG. The systems are supposed to have similiar core mechanics and I want to know if they suck or not.
I suggest you check out the message board at:

http://forum.trek-rpg.net

I too am considering buying both Star Trek RPG and Lord of the Rings RPG soon, not just because I'm a fan of the two, but also a fan of the game designers, especially Steve Long. He had a handprint on Wizards' Wheel of Time RPG as well as some of his free LUGTrek material for LUGTrek (like the Dominion War Sourcebook, can be downloaded at www.trek-rpg.net).

(He managed to convince Wizards to release the material to him and make it available for the LUGTrek gamers.)

Plus, he is the leading writer for Decipher's LOTR RPG. He managed to finish the draft of the core rules material before he departed Decipher to take his dream job of running HERO Games.

Oh, in case you're wondering, while he's an avid Tolkien literary fan, he didn't give high mark on the Fellowship of the Ring movie. Perhaps it's a good thing Decipher's RPG License is based on the four books by Tolkien himself (LOTR trilogy and Hobbit), not the film adaptations by Peter Jackson.

Last edited:

enrious

I will say that based on the Star Trek RPG Players Guide, I will be picking up the LotR RPG.

I like the Coda system. I think it would work very well for a fantasy game and I like the authors involved.

As others have mentioned - head over to the Trek RPG site for more info.

Wolfspider

Explorer
A bit of advice for anyone who cares to listen: If you want information or discussion about the new Decipher Trek game or LotR game, DO NOT go to the official message boards at Decipher.com. You'll find only madness there.... :eek:

The TrekRPG site is a much, much better source of DecipherTrek information. I don't know where you can find good information about the new Lord of the Rings game....

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Wolfspider said:
A bit of advice for anyone who cares to listen: If you want information or discussion about the new Decipher Trek game or LotR game, DO NOT go to the official message boards at Decipher.com. You'll find only madness there.... :eek:

That was a wise advise, Wolfspider. Decipher boards aren't only difficult to read or navigate, there are populated by some of the worst rabid d20 haters and ranters I've found... YMMV, of course.

June...well that's good news!

This is a game I've been waiting a looong time for--and I was beginning to lose hope.

Definitely be picking the core rules up; and, if the quality is as good as I think it will be, most of the supplements as well :)

Wolfspider

Explorer
Oh, by the way, I will be buying the new Lord of the Rings game as well. I'm curious about a number of things--like how they're going to portray magic and the various Elven races. I am still a bit disappointed about the (relatively) limited scope of the game: strictly Third Age, only covering the events portrayed in The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. So no First or Second Age goodness for me...sniff sniff. (Unless, of course, the fine folks at Decipher are going to pull something out of their sleeve regarding this time period.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads