• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lots more adventures from Wizards?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Keeper of Secrets said:
I'd love to see more adventures produced but I have my limits. TSR had so many great classics that were so much fun but then they just dumped all kinds of lame ones on us.

What would be really great is if the adventures they produced were somewhat multipurprosed in the sense that the stuff could be customized well enough or open ended enough to be able to run it multiple times or to make sure that the maps that came with it were good enough to get multiple uses. After all, the one failing with an adventure is that only one person in the group needs it (the DM).

I'm probably alone here, but I'll call BS on that claim that they had great classics compared to the stuff now. Back then they were original and new for their time, but a lot of them suffer horribly in comparission to the stuff out now. I love White Plume Mountain, but it's not a good adventure by any stretch of the imagination. Some great magic items, some neat puzzles, the giant crab. Good adventure? Why are the PC's there? Who are they giving the items back to? How do they find out more about the ruler of the mountain? What was that undead dragon bit?

Lots of originality for it's time, but not today.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Pesonally, I've never liked published adventures, so I never plan to buy one again. However, if people want it, then more power to WotC in releasing them!

Fouxfyre

First Post
I, for one, liked the old school module format. They were easy for pick-up games, most could be dropped into any campaign, and, if you liked the adventure, there was usually subsiquent modules.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I think that for confirmation of the "adventures don't sell" line, all you have to do is drop by your local RPG book seller.

Chances are that if they've got a bargain bin, it's not full of rules and rules supplements (except the truly awful ones...) - it's full of adventures.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
I think that for confirmation of the "adventures don't sell" line, all you have to do is drop by your local RPG book seller.

That must be why Dungeon Magazine has been doing so poorly. ;)

Saeviomagy said:
Chances are that if they've got a bargain bin, it's not full of rules and rules supplements (except the truly awful ones...) - it's full of adventures.

My local bookseller bargan bin is full of "3.0 Slayer's Guides", no adventures.

Sholari

First Post
Saeviomagy said:

I would argue that many campaign settings, systems, etc. have waxed and waned according to providing some minimal level of quality module support. Name one setting that has remained popular without any modules designed for it?

MarkAHart

Explorer
I recently picked up one of these new adventures, "Sons of Gruumsh," and have been reading through it. Looks like it would be fun to run or play in. Good stuff indeed...

Haven't had a chance to read through the first Fantastic Locations yet to see what it is like...

Hussar

Legend
Something I would personally like to see more of, and it sounds like these Fantastic Locations books fit the bill, are books like Mystic Eye Games Foul Locales series. I realize these are adventure books, per se, but, I found them an absolute godsend in my game. Twenty (ish) really cool locations that you can plug into pretty much any setting with a minimum of fuss. And, as an added bonus, most of the locations are reusable in the same campaign. Enter Location X the first time and it's a fairly friendly bar complete with barfight. Next time it's a slavers den kidnapping drugged patrons. Depending on the level of your PC's, you can run the site as whichever you like.

If you can't tell, I REALLY loved the Foul Locales series. I haven't looked at the Fantastic Locations books. Are they similar?

Sigurd

First Post
Victems of own success

My local book store has 4 shelves in their game section. The might say 'Role Playing Games' but the titles are _all_ WOTC. I'm sure that looking at what seems like a hundred game books but no modules begins to be scary for some shoppers. I think they have to publish at least 5 adventures a year in any setting they really support. That just to keeps the shelves looking good for first time buyers.

Its terrible that so many great publications are pushed out of the channel by D20 success. I mention Runequest, Gurps, Palladium, Pendragon, Call of Cthulu, Stormbringer to young players and there is no recognition.

Sigurd

JoeGKushner

First Post
Sigurd said:
My local book store has 4 shelves in their game section. The might say 'Role Playing Games' but the titles are _all_ WOTC. I'm sure that looking at what seems like a hundred game books but no modules begins to be scary for some shoppers. I think they have to publish at least 5 adventures a year in any setting they really support. That just to keeps the shelves looking good for first time buyers.

Its terrible that so many great publications are pushed out of the channel by D20 success. I mention Runequest, Gurps, Palladium, Pendragon, Call of Cthulu, Stormbringer to young players and there is no recognition.

Sigurd

But at the same time, I don't think those games would be at the local book store anyway. Heck, even Barnes & Nobles and Borders usually only have the "Big Books" so to speak. I've sene GURPS and one of the Call of Cthulhu books there, but it's up to the game companies to get into those channels. It's unfair to say it's d20 success as opposed to White Wolf's success or WoTC's success. For example, I don't see a lot of Mongoose products at the standard book store or Bastion Press, both of which are d20 publishers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads