• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lots Of Art (and some Warlock stuff)

Essenti

Explorer
I like everything but the Warlock picture, which to me is very bad at inspiring someone to want to be a warlock.

In the warlock piece, the character appears somewhat less than heroic, like they just failed a saving throw versus look vapid. I think this piece was meant to illustrate the concept of "seeing that which cannot be unseen." I still like it. :D

What I find interesting is that in real life I'm considered to be a picky curmudgeon, yet I don't hold a candle to the average D&D forum fan.

This view of "D&D forum fans" is mostly skewed by the prolific posting of the insensibly righteous few. There are a great many productive posters who are more thoughtful and tolerant. Unfortunately, that tolerance allows the few to alter the perception of the community as a whole. Oh well... :D /insensible_righteousness

gyor

Legend
Did anyone else notice that Charlatan is a background? Its not hard to guess what it will have, secret identity trait, and disguise kit prof, an extra language, and Bluff and Performance or Persausan skills.

Also noticed spells like Witchbolt and that Eldrich Blast is not an evocation anymore, which means if Magic Iniate works as we expect, the feat could grant it.

Eldrich Blast is a cantrip now.

Last edited:

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Warlock. I don't know what's going on with warlock magic, but it certainly looks like it'll be more...complicated...than we've seen with the wizard or cleric. Good thing I like warlocks.

My first thought was literally, "Whoa, @Klaus drew that? I've gotta give this guy's stuff another look. That may be a bit of a backhanded compliment, but it's the truth. At any rate, I was seriously impressed.

It is a nice piece. I think, and I mean this in the best possible way, that [MENTION=607]Klaus[/MENTION] has gotten better over the years that I've seen his stuff posted here. And I imagine that the kind of money that comes with a commission from wizards for a core product allows an artist to sit down and really work on a piece for a while. That lets us see what he is capable of and it is clearly a lot.

I'm liking both of these considerably more than the last artwork preview (soldier background). Just clicked the link to BoingBoing... very interesting that Wayne Reynolds is onboard for the new edition as an artist. I associate him so strongly with Pathfinder I did a double take when I saw the Mordenkainen's Sword artwork. Loving the look of the high elf wizard and the bugbears.
Is WAR art that surprising? He drew a fair amount of art for 4E and 3E too. Sure, his pieces are pretty iconic in Pathfinder now, but before there even was a PF, he was just as iconic for 3.5E Eberron.

The Human Target

Adventurer
In the warlock piece, the character appears somewhat less than heroic, like they just failed a saving throw versus look vapid. I think this piece was meant to illustrate the concept of "seeing that which cannot be unseen." I still like it. :D

This view of "D&D forum fans" is mostly skewed by the prolific posting of the insensibly righteous few. There are a great many productive posters who are more thoughtful and tolerant. Unfortunately, that tolerance allows the few to alter the perception of the community as a whole. Oh well... :D /insensible_righteousness

She seems to be stupified.

I try not to be too riled up by things.

But their is some real pickiness when it comes to even the art.

Lalato

Adventurer
The first time I saw the Warlock pic, I didn't like it much. I've found that it has grown on me.

The elf pic... Ugh... Lump that one in with the Tiefling pic. Do Not Want.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads