• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lots of short games or one long game?

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I prefer longer games but it's been a mixed experience over the last few years.

Right now I'm playing with a group every other Thursday. We're currently doing the OD&D module Castle Amber using the 2e rules. That's been running for a few months and should finish early next year. The plan with that group is to go on and do the Pathfinder Council of Thieves AP all the way through - really looking forward to it!

I'm also in a bi-weekly Legend of the 5 Rings game that has no fixed length, other than "long". That's turning into a really exciting and in-depth game.

Other than that it's been a few short-term games, three or four sessions. I understand that they're much easier to run for GM's, and I don't run games very often myself so I'll take any game I can if I know the people involved, but I'm happier when I get a chance to really develop a character and get to know a world. Plus, I want some more high-level play, dammit!

Aeolius

Adventurer
For the past five years I have been running my 3.5e undersea chat-based game on SUnday nights. Before that, I ran two play-by-post campaigns for several years each. In-between the PbP games I ran a chat-based game via AIM for over a year.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Over the long term, the pattern I have experienced is: Someone starts up a game. It runs for a couple of months. It then either fails (generally due to scheduling difficulties or lack of interest) or continues on to run for a couple years or more. This is a couple years or more of running once or twice a month. None of my groups are attempting to run weekly. I have not been involved with a group that intends its campaigns to run for short times.

timASW

Banned
Banned
I prefer playing weekly for about 6 months. That lets me tell a good story and end on a high note.

I've tried playing longer but it always seems like theres some other idea or system calling to me after a little while and start to lose interest in whatever the older thing is. I might come back to it later if its a system (probably will) but I at least want to try out whatever has caught my interest for a little while.

Stormonu

Legend
Depends on how long before I accidentally kill the characters.

Current: 7th sea game in it's 3rd session - the group wants to be pirates
Prior: World of Darkness Hunter in the 30's. Party was killed by the Daughter of Yog-Soggoth in a Cuban hospital. It lasted about 6 months.
Prior: Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords. Party was killed at the climax of the second book (The Skinsaw Murders). Lasted about a year.
Prior: World of Darkness Changeling. Party was "themselves" and were cast back to 1909 on a very convoluted plot. Lasted about 3 months. Died due to disinterest.
Prior: World of Darkness Vampire. Set in Las Vegas. The party escaped just prior to the city being nuked due to super-virus unleashed by the Sameadi. Lasted about 6 months
Prior: World of Darkness Vampire. Set in New Orleans. The "old guard" was swept away by a series of events, rising the party to the status of elders. Lasted about a year.
Prior: Mix of games that turned out to be one-shots as we tried to find a replacement for 3E.
Prior: D&D 3.5E Homebrew. Party world-hopped several campaign worlds ending up in Greyhawk and becoming pirates in search of Bloody Jack's Gold. Lasted about 3 years.

Ahnehnois

First Post
In an ideal world, lots of long games.

However, since I can only play in an ideal world but don't live in one, a few short games.

chriton227

Explorer
I generally prefer shorter campaigns because I don't have a tremendous amount of time for gaming, but I like to play a large variety of different genres and rules sets. The rest of my group seems to prefer longer campaigns though. Our face-to-face 4e game has been running since 4e launched over 4 years ago and is in high epic and should wind to a close over the next couple months. Our other game is a 4e Scales of War campaign using MapTools online (same players though) that has been running for over 2 1/2 years and is up to mid-epic levels. I'm a player in both and I've been ready for both campaigns to end for a long time, but I'm not willing to torpedo the campaigns just because I'm ready to move on.

the Jester

Legend
My campaign is a campaign in the sense the term was used in the classic 1e and earlier days- a milieu, a setting, in which many groups wander and adventure over time.

We typically play a group of characters until we have a tpk, but occasionally start up additional groups for a change of pace. For example, in 3e, I kept running my converted-from-2e game, then added a halfling group, etc.

When we do something very different (e.g. a super-low-magic campaign) I usually set it in a far corner or different time period of the campaign world from the rest of "game present".

Oryan77

Adventurer
My pet peeve is playing in a game that is short term or dies out quickly. It bugs me more when it is the DM that ends a game after only a few months because he wants something new. I like to develop a character beyond just what he gets as he levels up. I would be content playing the same character in a game that lasted for years.

feytharn

First Post
Both me and my players prefer longer campaigns, though that doesn't necessarily mean a continuing story of adventures but a continuous story of characters. Since I almost exlusively GM, I sometimes need to 'break pattern', to remain a fresh and healthy perspective on the game, so often break a campaign into 'seasons' and may take a break from one campaign at the end of a season to play a season of a differnt campaign (often a differnt system, almost every time a completely different genre).

Remove ads