• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Louisville, KY Game Stores

Ashanderai

Explorer
The Louisville Game Shop is open till 8pm and is closed on Wednesdays. I can't be sure, but I believe they have different hours on the weekends. I think they close at 5 or 6 pm on Sundays.

lrsach01

Explorer
Here is the scoop on that place near the Village 8:

The place is called Spectacular Collectables. It is located in the same building (at the North end from village 8), in the same hallway as the Ice Cream Factory if you have ever been there.

It even has a gaming room which can be "signed out." They are primarily a gaming store but they also have comics and such.

So Philip....enough info for you? :)

Near the Ice Cream Factory you say? Hmmm, sounds like I might be having one of their salads in the near future.....

Which is not a mistake. Their chef's salad is like 2lbs of ham, turkey, etc on top of a bed of greens with a great gob of shredded cheese. Wwwwwonderful for us carnivores that may not eat vegetable often. Oh yeah, and the ice cream is good too. But the best part? They use shaved ice in their cokes. My {diety} is that a wonderful thing.

Back to topic....Phil give us a reminder if you do decide to make any kind of professional appearance.

Longshadow

First Post
Hey, Phil.

I'll draw you a map Sunday night at dinner.

Great Escape -- My favorite. Decent backstock, great employees, good atmosphere.

Comic Book World -- Great backstock, but seems a little...sterile...next to GE.

Spectacular Collectibles and The Louisville Game Shop are both relatively new, both are a little sparse in their selection (mostly just the big stuff like WOTC, White Wolf, and such), no backstock, but the counter guys are nice (if a little youngish and uninformed).

I've never had any complaints about getting what I want...and I'm a pretty picky guy. Oh, and no offense, Wingsandsword, but I have NEVER known anyone who had to go to Lexington to get gaming stuff. When I lived in Lexington, actually, the only gaming store I actually found palatable in Lexington was The Rusty Scabbard...and that was essentially a closet off of Ramsey.

Like I said, Phil, I'll give you the lay of the land Sunday night. :cool:

Longshadow said:
I've never had any complaints about getting what I want...and I'm a pretty picky guy. Oh, and no offense, Wingsandsword, but I have NEVER known anyone who had to go to Lexington to get gaming stuff. When I lived in Lexington, actually, the only gaming store I actually found palatable in Lexington was The Rusty Scabbard...and that was essentially a closet off of Ramsey.
Wow, Rusty Scabbard hasn't been next to Ramses for like a decade (there is a used book shop there now). They moved to a much larger location behind Turfland Mall in the mid 90's. Several newer FLGS have opened in Lexington in the last few years (and some stores have moved or consolidated), if the last time you looked at gaming stores in Lexington was that long ago, it's all changed since then.

I just know that I've run into people there who say they are from Louisville and drive down to the Scabbard to shop for games because they say there are no good game stores in Louisville. Maybe they don't like the local stores, maybe they don't know about them, maybe they moved to Louisville from Lexington and just come back to the store they know. I was just passing along what I had gathered.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Honestly Comic Book World has a HUGE selection of gaming books, mini's, etc. It's probably the best selection in town.

I have to say, I wasn't too impressed with Spectacular Collectibles, but they were pretty new when I checked them out, and they didn't have much stock. They are a very "gamer" friendly shop though.

And you know, if there's something coming out, or something that's recent, and a particular shop doesn't have it....ASK! They'll order it for you, and/or hold it when it comes in! (Doug at CBW is really good at that)

I've never had trouble finding the stuff I wanted (and plenty of stuff I DON'T want) in Louisville!

Kesh

First Post
wingsandsword said:
Wow, Rusty Scabbard hasn't been next to Ramses for like a decade (there is a used book shop there now). They moved to a much larger location behind Turfland Mall in the mid 90's. Several newer FLGS have opened in Lexington in the last few years (and some stores have moved or consolidated), if the last time you looked at gaming stores in Lexington was that long ago, it's all changed since then.

I just know that I've run into people there who say they are from Louisville and drive down to the Scabbard to shop for games because they say there are no good game stores in Louisville. Maybe they don't like the local stores, maybe they don't know about them, maybe they moved to Louisville from Lexington and just come back to the store they know. I was just passing along what I had gathered.
Rusty Scabbard absolutely rocks. Wonderful RPG shop. They've got a great selection, clean store, and the staff has always been friendly.

Comrade

First Post
Louisville Game Shop

kigmatzomat said:
Louisville Game Shop is new and hasn't acquired a following yet among the older gamers who don't live in the area. I stopped by during their business hours a few weeks back but it wasn't open. From what I could see through the window it looks more Reaper/Mini focused. Elmore lives in the vicinity so it's possible he knows the owners. I've never met the man but I've got friends who've modeled for him a couple of times with their SCA armor.

The Louisville Game Shop ( http://www.thelouisvillegameshop.com/ ) is on Baxter a couple doors down from Molly Malones. It is by far the best gaming shop in Louisville in that it caters to Gamers rather than comic book fans, card players, and manga. The front room contains a wide selection of wargaming miniatures while the second room is stocked with RPGs. With a third room dedicated to board games (especially a lot of the new Fantasy Flight stuff), LGS's selection is solid. Furthermore, the shop has a large back area with tables for wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs, or whatever you're into and they frequently host miniature painting workshops, RPG demos, and terrain-building workshops.

I think kigmatzomat's comment is far from accurate in terms of LGS's following. Contrary to what was stated, many of us are regular customers who are extremely happy with the store, Colin's laid-back yet efficient service (he's quick about the special orders), and the fact that we can support a gaming store rather than a glorified comic book shop.

Given, CBW's selection of RPGs is substantial, but most of what the store carries are not high quality gaming books. The shelves are indeed full - but in many cases what you find at CBW are low-rate and poorly written D20 sourcebooks. Rarely have I found what I was looking for at CBW and it is unlikely that my special order will appear anytime in the near future.

LGS, on the other hand, carries quality products and doesn't just fill the shelves with crap. And, if I don't find what I'm looking for, I'll have it in a couple of days. I've been gaming in Louisville since I was an undergrad at UofL (over a decade ago) and nearly every gamer that I know has become a part of this alleged small following, most taking their business from CBW (a comic book store), Something to Do (a hobby store), or The Great Escape (a toy store/comic book/used media shop...where do you keep the games again?).

Colin is a gamer, unlike other shopowners, and he understands the industry. For a capitalist, he's done a hell of a job with LGS and I would encourage any new gamers (or even old gamers) in town to check it out.

---Comrade

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads