• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Louisville, KY Game Stores

I'm not dissing LGS; I've never been inside. Of course, that was because the door was locked during the posted hours of business. I'm sure I'll eventually be able to make an informed evaluation of them.

My three gaming groups (roughly 2 dozen people ages 28ish-40something) hadn't heard of LGS until I mentioned it to them and I only knew about it b/c someone on one of these boards mentioned it. Since all those people are located in the east end, they have virtually no reason to venture towards Baxter Ave to find it on accident. I've not seen nor heard any advertisements for LGS but I've seen several for TGE & BME recently and I can recall having seen CBW ads.

So I stand by my comment that LGS doesn't have a following amount older gamers who don't live in the area.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Comrade said:
Given, CBW's selection of RPGs is substantial, but most of what the store carries are not high quality gaming books. The shelves are indeed full - but in many cases what you find at CBW are low-rate and poorly written D20 sourcebooks. Rarely have I found what I was looking for at CBW and it is unlikely that my special order will appear anytime in the near future.

Wow dude, that's a little harsh. You know, any shop can only stock what the market provides, and yeah, there's a lot of "crap" on the shelves, but I find that same "crap" everywhere else too. Your experiences have certainly been different from mine, I've never had any problem ordering something there myself.

Longshadow

First Post
The Louisville Game Shop ( http://www.thelouisvillegameshop.com/ ) is on Baxter a couple doors down from Molly Malones. It is by far the best gaming shop in Louisville in that it caters to Gamers rather than comic book fans, card players, and manga. The front room contains a wide selection of wargaming miniatures while the second room is stocked with RPGs. With a third room dedicated to board games (especially a lot of the new Fantasy Flight stuff), LGS's selection is solid. Furthermore, the shop has a large back area with tables for wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs, or whatever you're into and they frequently host miniature painting workshops, RPG demos, and terrain-building workshops.

I think kigmatzomat's comment is far from accurate in terms of LGS's following. Contrary to what was stated, many of us are regular customers who are extremely happy with the store, Colin's laid-back yet efficient service (he's quick about the special orders), and the fact that we can support a gaming store rather than a glorified comic book shop.

Given, CBW's selection of RPGs is substantial, but most of what the store carries are not high quality gaming books. The shelves are indeed full - but in many cases what you find at CBW are low-rate and poorly written D20 sourcebooks. Rarely have I found what I was looking for at CBW and it is unlikely that my special order will appear anytime in the near future.

LGS, on the other hand, carries quality products and doesn't just fill the shelves with crap. And, if I don't find what I'm looking for, I'll have it in a couple of days. I've been gaming in Louisville since I was an undergrad at UofL (over a decade ago) and nearly every gamer that I know has become a part of this alleged small following, most taking their business from CBW (a comic book store), Something to Do (a hobby store), or The Great Escape (a toy store/comic book/used media shop...where do you keep the games again?).

Colin is a gamer, unlike other shopowners, and he understands the industry. For a capitalist, he's done a hell of a job with LGS and I would encourage any new gamers (or even old gamers) in town to check it out.

So you've had some positive experiences there -- good for you. Doesn't mean the same holds true for everyone. I've been twice and both times the place failed to make any sort of impression. The guy behind the counter was nice, but no more knowledgeable than the game buyers at Great Escape -- even if the Gods of Gaming haven't descended from on high to anoint them and present their presence to we unwashed masses as a gift from Heaven. Colin, as you say that's his name, couldn't answer my questions about M&M street dates, or SR4 street dates, or several other questions. But he was still nice about it -- so I cut him the slack I try to cut most store employees in retail. And he was able to expound to another customer at length on the virtues of of WOTC products and some minis game that didn't interest me enough to even have me remember it's name. So, maybe he's just brand specific in his gamerness...there are worst sins.

Also, the harsh, WWF-style, my fav is tops, rah-rah me style doesn't wash with those of us over 14 years old. You'll persuade a lot more people to give the LGS a go if you don't act like a Grand Poobah sharing your wisdom with the peons. I know you've definitely given me second thoughts about ever giving them another try, as I apparently don't have the good taste to have already converted to LGSism. I'm also afraid I'm going to have to bother blowing holes in your assertions with the cold light of fact - - as in the 3 racks of d20 material, mostly WotC and Sword&Sorcery, which, out of the 12 or so racks + the numerous bins some how constituting CBW mostly stocking nothing but bad d20 products? Or that the game section you apparently missed in Great Escape having easily twice the gaming selection I saw at LGS? I will concede that LGS had more board games in stock than I 've ever seen elsewhere in town outside of the St. Matthew's Something to Do (but I avoid that particular store for other reasons, and I'm not big on board games, so it's all moot anyway).

My apologies for the snark, all. But Mondays leave my Gall with an itchy-trigger finger. ;) Anyway, Phil, I'll still give you directions over dinner to ALL of the gamestores in town -- even those I may not be worthy to patronize. :cool:

Remove ads