Love/Hate - Magic Items!

Li Shenron

Legend
I hate magic items that represents "magic as technology", particularly because they tend to become "must-have", and +1 weapons are the worst.

I love magic items that are situational, that require a trade-offs (e.g. cursed magic items), and that grow in power in time, possibly depending on what happens to the character during the story.

Love:

Frostbrands and flametongues – they just look cool (okay, and they’re powerful items).

Items that might seem useless, but can be anything but in the hands of a creative player. Things like eversmoking bottles, wands of illumination, and so on.

Common magic items – I pretty much love that all these do is look cool. Not all magic has to have an effect in game terms.

Hate:

Bags of Holding – Every time the PCs have ended up with them, they’ve just started hoovering up everything, even plain cutlery. It gets old and annoying really quickly.

Deck of Many Things – You either get overpowered, underpowered, or dead/ruined.

Sacrosanct

Legend
An immovable rod is what let us easily kill a green dragon (came upon it sleeping, snuck up and placed the rod on it' snout, and stayed behind it to kill it.)

Another vote for hating the random stuff (deck of MT, wand of wonder). I don't like disruptive items that can easily make someone over powered or instantly dead.

I've always like magic weapons that do more than +X. Flametongue, glowing, frostbrand. Also like figurines of wonderous power, cloak of the bat, boots of striding and springing

Riley37

First Post
And yet there it was. "Hey guys, here's Paul, the Paladin, who is really annoying and has a Holy Avenger." Putting "Holy Avenger" on your character sheet was basically the same as writing "Kick Me" on your plate mail and then walking around a d4 factory in bare feet.

So on one hand, I love paladins, possibly almost as much as you hate them. My current main PC is Boris the Green, the Oath of Ancients Paladin (Green Knight) and Archfey Warlock who's also a green-scaled dragonborn. I mean, if I'm gonna play a character with aspirations other than "get rich, as safely as possible", I might as well go all the way.

On another hand, I DMed for a while, and a player joined the group playing a Vengeance Paladin, with high stats that he totally rolled (after, I dunno, rolling many times?). He gave me a few vague hints for loose ends, hoping that I might create story arcs. One of them was his missing wife, possibly captured by red mages of Thay. Well, I dropped hints involving refugees from Thay among the cultists of Tiamat, and he never followed those hints.

The other "loose end" was the Holy Avenger, "Ashbringer" which was a family heirloom and had somehow been lost. He didn't give me more than that - like, did his grandmother wield it when she was an Adventurer? is she still around or did she go missing while carrying the sword? I think he just hoped that at some point I would give him a side quest, "Someone Tells You Where You Can Find Ashbringer", and then he'd have a Holy Avenger.

Yeah, he was that guy who matches LowKey13s expectations of people who play paladins.

So if I had a DM who would give my PC a quest for whatever magic item I named as "missing heirloom", so that I was guaranteed to find one....

...then I'd probably choose a Helm of Telepathy. Goodbye, most language barriers. Hello, moving forward cautiously while spamming Detect Minds to scan for language-using minds, and finding bandits within 30' regardless of how well they hide. Hello, going to the back alley of a tavern, and reading the mind of *everyone* at the bar before entering. (Some may make the saving throw, which tells them that *someone somewhere* tried to read their mind.) Learn from surface thoughts, what motivations of the target dovetail most closely with a well-phrased Suggestion! It's Munchkin Time 24/7, on the interaction and exploration pillars rather than the combat pillar!

For for exotic wacky hijinks, though, the Ring of Spell Storing. Wizard attunes it and casts "Find Familiar" into it, five times. The next five people to attune the ring - the other party members, that is - each get to cast Find Familiar from the ring! Follow up with Find Steed. Some spells should really be class features instead. After everyone has a steed, the warlock can then charge the ring with Hex, so that the sword-and-board fighter gets five uses of a Bonus Action combat spell, and the process only takes the warlock two or maybe three Short Rests.

Sacrosanct

Legend
A few years ago I had a player who played a paladin. Naturally he wanted a holy avenger. By the time we finished ToEE, they were about level 8ish. So OK, unlike lowkey13 I am a reasonable DM ;). I was willing to allow him to have a holy avenger. But he was gonna work for it. So I tied in a few adventure modules to tie in that particular quest reward. He prayed to his god and got his instruction. Acquire Blackrazor from White Plume Mountain, have the white dragon from G1-3 breath on it, and while it was frozen, smash it with whelm. Take the shards, and reforge it in a high temple of his god.

Want a holy avenger in my games? Gonna work for it.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Love: cloak of the montebank, crystal ball, rope of climbing.

Can do without: anything with a static bonus and no other abilities.

Hate: items handed out as generic examples of their type. I don't care about your portable hole. Oläf's Void, on the other hand? Sign me up. Your sword +1 can remain stuck in its stone or lying in its lake. Caliburn, ancient blade of the faerie knight? I'll take two.

Last edited:

Dualazi

First Post
Love: Modular items (or items with lots of differing uses/abilities), and also powerful consumables. One of my recent favorites to watch my players experiment with is the purple ioun stone. For those that don't have their books handy, it can store up to 3 spell levels from anyone and the wielder can cast them, using the stats/saves of the person who stored the spell. This gives jaw-dropping flexibility and combo potential and what spells to put in it is a recurring item of discussion. It's currently my favorite item in the DMG, I think.

Hate: items that remove gameplay elements. Decanters of endless water, rings of sustenance, etc. Once you have those the already lax need for resource acquisition goes right out the window. I likewise have a lot of animosity towards items like the deck of many things, since it has the potential to either ruin a character/party or grant them massive power increases. Neither are really that fun to DM for and the risk of campaign derailment outweighs the fun of uncertainty.

Remove ads