• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Low Level items

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'd encourage you to read this: Shax's Indispensable Haversack for ideas for useful magical items.

My personal favorites for 4500gp and below:

-Anything that boosts Stats, AC or Saves

-Various Potions

-Various Eternal Wands up to 2nd level spells (MIC p.159)

-Restful Crystal (500gp MIC p.26) Sleep in Armor

-Least Crystal of Return (300gp MIC p.65) allows drawing weapon as Free Action

-Goodberry Bracelet (2000gp MIC p.108) Makes 5 Goodberries

-Pearl of Speech (600gp MIC p.118) situationally useful for language barriers or allowing a Wild Shaped/etc. PC to talk

-Artificer's Monocle (2000gp MIC p.72) for an Artificer, Warlock or Wizard, the poor man's Identify spell

-Gloves of Object Reading (3000gp, MIC p107) Know about an object's previous owner

-Gloves of Manual Prowess (3000gp MIC p.106, good for Rogue/etc.) Boost to Dex skills

-Hellcat Gauntlets (3200gp MIC p.111)add damage for the blasty caster

-Watch Lamp (500gp MIC p.147) Hands free light!

-Phylactery of faithfulness (1000gp DMG 264) for Paladin or Cleric if you play alignment loss seriously

-Hat of Disguise (1800gp DMG p.258) Disguise Self at will!

-Ring(s) of Communication (2000gp each, MIC p.122) Communicate up t 1 mile

-Ring of Feather Falling (2200gp DMG p.232) Falling failsafe

-Ring of Sustenance (2500gp DMG p.233) 2 hours sleep is equal to 8, great for spellcasters

-Cape of the Viper (2000gp, MIC p.84) Poor man's Polymorph, if you happen to want to be a snake at various sizes

-Amber Amulet of Vermin- Giant Bee (500gp MIC p.68, or any of the Amber Amulets) Summon a vermin.

-Hand of the Mage (900gp DMG p.258) Mage Hand at will!

-Shiftweave (500gp MIC p.133) Becomes 5 different outfits

-Healing Belt (750gp MIC p.110) Great Cure Wounds item! Get a few!

-Belt of Growth (3000gp MIC p.73) Enlarge Person 1/day

-Everlasting Rations (300gp MIC 160) Feeds 1 person each day

-Quaal's Feather Token- Tree (400gp DMG p.264) instant oak tree!

-Talisman of the Disk (500gp MIC p.188) Tenser's Floating Disk

-
Bag of Endless Caltrops (800gp MIC p.151) Better version is in the A&E (2300gp Arms & Equipment Guide p.129) make Caltrops

-Everlasting feedbag (800gp MIC p.160) Feed one horse each day

-Dust of Dryness (850gp DMG p.255) Store a small lake for future use

-Spool of Endless Rope (1400gp MIC p.186) Lots of rope

-Pipes of Sounding (1800gp DMG 264) Ghost Sound at will!

-Field Provisions Box (2000gp MIC p.160) feed 15 people each day

-Heward's Handy Haversack (2000gp, DMG 259) already discussed

-Mac-Fuirmidh Cithern (2100gp MIC p.163) 4 ranks in Perform- String gets you a Cure Moderate Wounds, Mage Armor & Sleep spell 1/day. Even a Fighter can do it!

-Aberrant Sphere (2800gp MIC 149) summon Aberrations to fight for you

-Horseshoes of Speed (300gp DMG p.260) +30 to a horse's landspeed

-Orb of Mental Renewal/Rod of Bodily Restoration (3100gp MIC p.167/173) heal stat damage

-Survival Pouch (3300gp MIC p.187) crate a variety of useful items

-Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments (4000gp DMG p.263) Create nearly anything

-Shapesand (100gp per 12lbs Sandstorm p.99&102) Create nearly anything

Special mention just over budget:

-Slippers of Spider Climbing (4800gp DMG p.266) Spider Climb spell

Last edited:

Wyvernhand

First Post
The MIC has a bunch of items all under 2000g. Anklets of Translocation, from the start, are a winner at 1400g. Also, don't underestimate consumables like a Glitterstone or Hammersphere. Weapon crystals are cheap and fun, especially if you at least have a MW weapon. Lots of little things like the gloves that give +2 CL, but only for 1st level spells (extra Magic Missile!) and only 1-2/day are fun.

Omegaxicor

First Post
[MENTION=18701]Oryan77[/MENTION] I am not belittling everything, just paying 1000Gp for a backpack that the players cannot fill...or won't even use (although if they have lots of items maybe they will be useful, just not while they have so little gear)

[MENTION=52240]nijineko[/MENTION] I have no idea what most of them are (the weapon crystals I forgot about)

[MENTION=6674868]RUMBLETiGER[/MENTION] wow, most of them I won't allow but some of them are really useful (the link contains lots of useful things but they are from other sources...

[MENTION=97681]Wyvernhand[/MENTION] Gloves that give +2 CL are unavailable because magic items that boost magic seems to be VERY magical for a low-magic campaign (plus the players don't have a CL so boosting it is meaningless) but I will look at the other items

nijineko

Explorer
heward's handy bedroll for your caster/manifester types.

feather tokens (especially tree, though fan is nice too).

skill shards.

weapon and armor crystals.

[MENTION=52240]nijineko[/MENTION] I have no idea what most of them are (the weapon crystals I forgot about)

the bedroll is useful for shortening the amount of time it takes to get the needed sleep, even for caster/manifester types.

feather tokens have existed in nearly every edition. look in the dmg.

skill shards might fit in even your low-low magic setting, they are psionic in origin, but you could re-flavor them magic if you want. they give a single brief burst of insight into a skill (ie: one skill check) then they are spent and useless.

armor crystals are great too.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My favorite low-level magic item, bar none, is the Quiver of Ehlonna, a.k.a. The Efficient Quiver.

With it, you can:

1) load it up with bolts, daggers, javelins and what have you, turning your high-Dex monk into mobile artillery, even with non-magical projectiles. (I use this often with my Monks, cutting down on the MAD issue by going Dex, then Wis, then _________, as per the PC concept.)

2) let your wizard store all kinds of rods, staves and wands over the course of his adventuring career.

Omegaxicor

First Post
yea the Archer has a the Efficient Quiver (technically he shouldn't have it because it costs 1500 Gp which is more than half his WBL but it saves everyone a headache counting his arrows, so we said it was an heirloom)

didn't know you could store other stuff in it I thought it was just arrows of 20 different varieties, which version are you reading?
[MENTION=52240]nijineko[/MENTION] I am still reading through the items (bedroll won't really help now but later maybe) the Skill shards could be REALLY useful if they work well enough

nijineko

Explorer
Yup- it says "approximate size and shape of ________" in both versions.

and i lay down a strip of fabric long, but not so wide, put a bunch of random items on it arranging them so they are all in a narrow rectangular strip at one end of my fabric long-wise, and then roll it up into a tube...

...which just happens to be about the approximate size and shape of a bow, javelin, or staff.

GASP!!!! now i can store anything i want in it!!!! ;D

(when you've been playing for as long as i have, thinking outside the quiver just comes natural. ^^ please take the sarcasm humorously, as it was intended. thank you. my archer character actually carries around fabric rectangles for this exact purpose.)

Last edited:

Remove ads