Low level parties and dungeon encounters

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's also another matter you should take into account - at lower levels everybody (PC, NPC, and monster) have hit points on the same order of magnitude as the damage done by a weapon. Anyone - PC or monster - can be killed with just a couple of swordblows. That makes battles fast. If it's all-or-nothing, and resolved quickly, it can seem less challenging than it actually was.

However, as they rise, you'll note that damage done does not go up as fast as hit dice, in general. That will make the combat drag out longer, and thus seem more dramatic and challenging.

Shuma-Gorath

First Post
Don't forget the traps!!!!:D A well placed low CR trap could make all the difference. If the party is clever (or lucky) enough to spot and disarm the trap, then they have earned XP, had fun, and still not depleted their resources ( except time). Traps are a great way to challenge the mind of the players (if their puzzle traps). I also think that low level monsters can still pose a challenge to higher level characters. lets say you have two kobolds armed with crossbows hiding behind an overturned table with a large crack in it. They have 90% cover, surprise(possibly) and they are a combined CR of 1/3. With any luck, they can get off three shots each before they are dealt with. Here is how I would set this up: (DM) As you carefully open the far door, your torchligt reveals to you what must have at one point been an elegant banquet hall, now ravaged by time and marauding humanoids. The smell of rotting food is pervasive among the overturned chairs and tables and broken pottery. (players) How big is this room? (DM) Your torch illuminates out to twenty feat to walls on your left and right, but the room extends beyond the reach of you torch, or your keen elven eyes. (players) O.K., I'm going to... (DM) Whats your flat-footed AC? (Players) Huh?!? It's 14, why? (DM) [Rolls some dice] Two crossbow bolts come streaking out of the darkness and find a new home in your chest; take [rolls dice] 9 damage. (players) Duck!!!!!
And that's a CR 1/3:cool:

dkoz

First Post
Hurt Creatures

One way I deal with making a stronghold, hideout, hidden temple reasonable (enough forces protecting the priest, guarding entrances, ...) and making the party take the encounters seriously is by throwing in hurt creatures. The idea being, not all of the forces inside a stronghold are going to be at full health all of the time (just like the PCs). By having some injured creatures you can have your party face more numbers or stronger creatures without increasing the EL too much.

For example, you could have the party face a group of 4 ogres that have just got back from raiding and pillaging or something, so their HP are lower. You could also have a one or two missing their weapons (broken in a raid) and have fun with the grappling rules. They will be scared S#@%less that they have to face 4 at once not know they are weakened. Just remember to not give them full XP for each injured creature. ;)

Good gaming,
dkoz

victordoom

First Post
Thanks for all the input guys, you've been alot of help. Each one of you have given some good ideas and I'll try to take advantage of as many as I can. I'll let you guys know how it went.
Thanks again!

Remove ads