low level solo monsters?

Hey Mustrum! :)

Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Gibbering Mouther definitely makes sense as a Solo monster. It's reality warping effects fit very well.
In my Iron Heroes campaign, I used a Gibbering Mouther as a base creature for my "3.x Solo monster" equivalent template. (It was fine in theory, but the #attacks of the resulting creature where still a bit too many, I - and my players - think. It's turn took too long, and the 3.x Gibbering ability is also a "fun" reducer...)

I only wonder if it's still a Heroic Tier monste, or if it moves up in the Paragon tier?

As far as I can tell, a good indicator of 3E CR to 4E level (for standard and elite monsters) is a multiplier of about x1.5. So anything of about CR 6 or less in 3/3.5E will be Heroic Tier.

3/3.5E = 4E

CR 1-6 = Level 1-10
CR 7-13 = Level 11-20
CR 14-20 = Level 21-30

Solo Monsters will probably be more akin to CR = Level.

But of course this doesn't necessarily take reconcepting into account so take all that with a pinch of salt. :p

arscott

First Post
A lot of monsters from classic mythology were unique creatures that became races of monsters when they made the journey to D&D. I think that most of those deserve to be solo monsters: The Chimera. The Minotaur. Medusa. (yes, I know Medusa had two sisters. I wanna see a solo Medusa).

Lions, Tigers, and Bears. Big scary animals should be low-level solo monsters rather than minor threats for more experienced characters.

Need at least one undead. Maybe the Mummy?

Basilisk. Barghest (but make more feylike).

Plus, of course, the young dragons.

Is that a big enough list?

KingAmo

First Post
A wraith works pretty well if the party is in a cave. I tried it, it worked very well as a boss. But they ran away before they finished.

Remove ads