• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Low level Soul Stealing

Shape D.

First Post
Shin Okada said:
Go to lower plane seems to be too hard for a clr3/wiz3/mt2. But you should have at least wis of 14 and practiced spellcaster feat for both classes (very typical for MT build). If so, you can at least buy some Lessor Planer Ally scrolls. If I were a DM, I allow you to bargain with the called devils for trading. IIRC Lemures are oftem used as currency in the nine hell.
Int 19, Wis 18 (I rolled incredibly well, and this is where I put my two best stats) And yep, I've got Practiced Spellcaster for both.

HeavenShallBurn said:
Thinaun is the best method, now dealing with the expense is a major issue. The problem is as an option what's in CW is actually rather nerfed. Only melee weapons, and adding 10-25k to price, just to hold 1 soul? See if your DM will allow you to work up a variation on this is my advice.

For the cost of the weapon I don't have a huge issue with it, it's expensive, but from my characters perspective it would be well worth it.

We're currently trying to figure out a way to "transfer" the souls out of the weapon though. most likely a Thinaun sheath enchanted with magic Jar or something.....

moritheil said:
As a DM, I would not allow a price reduction. Before anyone cries foul, let me point out that across multiple campaigns, the only circumstances under which I have seen players keenly interested in using souls for item creation were as follows: Artificer characters with craft XP buffer as a class feature, multiple feats that reduce creation cost several times, and constructs/followers that do the actual crafting. They also had access to an evil shrine (obviously, it's an evil party if the artificer is going to burn souls to upgrade everyone's armor/weapons) and the means to supply sacrifices (not hard in the typical setting if you are above level 5.)

The problem with "spending souls" lies in what you are giving up. Sure, the soul is "worth something" in the universe (it's currency on the lower planes), but from a metagame perspective, is any given soul really worth something? That is, do you have to give up anything when you are spending it in item creation? I would argue no. Normally adventurers kill dozens of enemies and simply leave their souls be. Taking the soul out of an enemy therefore already constitutes an extra benefit; offering a weapon that allows this is effectively no different than if you allowed your party to buy "daggers of greed" that increased the gp value of loot from virtually every encounter they faced.

Now, you might whip up some math to argue that a case could still be made for a price reduction. However, stealing the souls of your enemies already has a tremendous game benefit even if you don't use those souls to do anything - it prevents your opponents' allies from raising them or (in some cases) speaking to them to obtain vital information. Spending the soul does not in any way diminish that benefit and in fact increases it.

I agree, one of the benifits I'm going for is resurection/speak with dead blockage. (although in important circumstances I've been hiding my identity w/ disguise self, and turning them undead to make bringing folks back to life harder.

The xp I use from this I actually only plan on using for making myself items that I don't want commissioned out for fear of people knowing what I've got. (aka the really evil stuff)
My character would view making simpler items as beneath him.

that and I think it fits the character farily well roleplaying wise. And no it shouldn't be cheap, To my character other peoples souls may not be worth much, but I'm sure it's worth far more to them.......

Remove ads