• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Low Magic 4E D&D

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Ok, so where are the rules for replacing +1 items with a simple level bonus in the DMG?? I could have sworn I saw a method for getting rid of +1, +2 items and just giving a flat bonus to everyone when they reached a certain level. Now, I've looked over my book like 30 times and can't find any reference to it.

Someone please help! :)

Turtlejay

First Post
We are playing low magic games. Rather than give generic bonuses, the DM just makes the encounters fit our low magic status.

Right now, at 9th level, each PC has 1 magic item. It is likely to stay that way.

Jay

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
That's good info, but it'd be easier for me as a DM to just say, "hey all 5th level characters wield weapons with a +1 bonus" than for me to redo all the math of the monsters.

I know there was a table or some info somewhere on taking out magic item bonuses and instead giving a flat bonus based on level - just can't seem to find it.

Obryn

Hero
There are no rules, per se.

You can give everyone +1 to defenses, attacks, and damage at 3rd level and every 5 levels after that and it works pretty well, though.

-O

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
So there is no table somewhere that details a good method of doing this? Must have been my imagination or maybe I'm confusing it with magic item thresholds... Weird.

Ok thanks!

Chimerasame

First Post
I remember seeing something on Gleemax forums but I'm not sure if that had its origins in one of the books or if that was just a homebrew thing.

I'd probably do something like this:

2nd level: +1 damage
3rd level: +1 attack
4th level: +1 AC
5th level: +1 NADs
(skip 6th)
7th: +2 damage
8th: +2 attack
9th: +2 AC
10th: +2 NADs

etc.

Also you might give an extra feat or power once or twice per tier to account for the loss of special magic item powers.

Out of curiosity, are you doing anything to restrict power source/class selection? Or refluffing existing magic classes?

Pbartender

First Post
Consider that a basic magic item -- a magic weapon, implement, armor or amulet -- that grants a flat bonus with no additional effects or powers increases its bonus like so:

+1, Level 1
+2, Level 6
+3, Level 11
+4, Level 16
+5, Level 21
+6, Level 26

So, the easy thing to do is to give the characters bonuses based on that progession.

In other words, it's an additional +1 bonus roughly every five levels to attacks, damage and defenses.

i too am running a low-magic 4e game. i've opted however to use the magic items as is--but as a matter of flavor, am describing them as being masterwork instead of magic. it's a fairly transparent matter and requires no adjustments (other than limiting treasure so that it feels consistent with such things).

d20 SW (pre-saga) offered masterwork items of +1 to +3 effectiveness, neatly providing the conceptual groundwork for this approach.

ed

Jhaelen

First Post
Ok, so where are the rules for replacing +1 items with a simple level bonus in the DMG?? I could have sworn I saw a method for getting rid of +1, +2 items and just giving a flat bonus to everyone when they reached a certain level. Now, I've looked over my book like 30 times and can't find any reference to it.

Someone please help! :)
You may confuse this with the magic threshold for monsters/npcs. DMG2 has been announced to include what you're looking for.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads