• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Low Magic setting-several options

Eltharon

Explorer
Hi,

I'm preparing for my groups campaign, set in the semi-created world of Erinoth. It's a more "grim" world then standard D20, though not horribly so. (Think Song of Ice and Fire)
Now, the world and basic plot are pretty much defined, but magic is proving annoying.
I don't want to completly abolish magic, nor do I want to make it secondhand. I see myslef as having several options.

1) Lowish Old Magic. The World was magical--once. With the "disappearance" of the magical races (no foreshadowing here...), magic is nothing but a memory of its former self. A handful of people can use spells which tend to require lots of time and sacrifice. A itty-bitty amountof people can use magic in the DnD sense, but are so rare that even meeting one is an occurance that may happen once in a very long while for the people of a large area.
2) Sort of lowish magic. Sort of as above, but magic is less rare, less dangerous, but still rare enough to "not exist" to the public eye ("A wizard! Hah! I'm a man grown, not some whelp to be told old wives tales!")
3) Low Magic. Magic exits, people know it. Magic is still rare, people don't trust magesand wisely run for their lives when the spells start flying, and there aren't magic item shoppes in all large cities. If anyone plays Warhammer RPG, the magic level in the Empire is this level (minus the really big magic building in the capitol)

Note that the players will all be human. Maybe one of them will have some form of magical bloodline. (minor one)

Any thoughts? Rants? Comments? Suggestions?

igavskoga

First Post
Mind you I'm very biased, because this is what I do, but I say go for number 3 and pick up True Sorcery or the Black Company Campaign Setting, same magic system, True Sorcery is more ogl and has "vanilla" effects added back in that didn't fit the flavor of BCCS. :D

DonTadow

First Post
Ha, I'm biased as well. I say run with the story that the magic exists it is just extremely rare (though i like that it exists but it is extremely dangerious).

I though like hte EOM for low magic campaigns. Preferably the mythic, because it comes equiped with mishapped charts.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Not exactly understanding what you're asking here. Whether or not magic is generally beleived or accepted to exist isn't that relevant to the PC's: how does it work and how powerful do you want it to be? If I choose 'Wizard' as my class, what restrictions am I under?

Probably the simplest way of creating a lower-magic atmosphere is to require all pure spellcasters to take a non-spell-casting class every other level. That cuts magic way down once you get past about sixth level and really can enforce a grim and gritty atmosphere, because fights will last a lot longer and be a lot bloodier, with a lot less healing going on during and afterwards. If you toy with the magic item creation rules (say, it now takes a week per 1000 go instead of a day), it really puts the brakes on magic in the campaign.

Nyeshet

First Post
Sometimes the simple things can make the difference.

What if the casters started with only 0 level spells and did not gain 1st level spells until 3rd level, etc until 9th level spells are gained at level 19? They would perhaps need something else to make up for it (a Lore like ability and perhaps a couple more skill points each - to fit their more scholarly role; I'd use a cloistered cleric (from UA) in this setup). Bards, Rangers, Paladins, etc would perhaps gain their highest level spells, but also greatly delayed. Their casting (in the case of the Ranger, etc) would even start a couple levels (at least) later.

To this make it more difficult to make permanent magic items. Perhaps double the XP and GP costs. Non-permanent items could be made, but due to the higher level most will be much more expensive, and due to the limitations on Potions several useful spells will no longer be applicable for use as a potion. To this move the ability modifying spells, the raise dead spells, and the Protection from / Magic Circle Against / Holy Word / etc spells all up a couple levels. Combined with delayed casting (by two levels) many of these will not see oft play - if used at all. Protection from Evil, for instance, would not be accessible until nineth level after all these changes (moved up two levels, delayed spell level gain by two levels).

Let the results of these cascade through the rule set and suddenly magic is far less common and far less useful. Recall the prices for hiring a mage to do some work / cast some spells. With the spells all moved up a couple levels and permanent effects doubled in cost, suddenly it is too expensive to even consider hiring a mage for most things. If you populate a town by the specifications in the DMG, I suggest making magic users far less common - at least half as common, perhaps only a quarter as common.

After all this one should take the probable cultural effect this will have. If the world was once magical and now is not due to a magical cataclysm, then it is likely that the mythos will suggest that the magic users were responsible. Perhaps it was hubris on their part that resulted in the cataclysm, and the limitation is applied to divine casters as well in part as punishment to the mortal races for their former hubris. The divine casters are thus limited in what they can draw upon. Or perhaps the cataclysm changed - weakened - magic, and again it was the fault of the magic users. Magic users are thus likely viewed with far more suspition / dread / anger than typical in a core game. Most will likely try to hide behind Prestidigitation, using Slight of Hand to pretend their magic is mere stage craft - if for no other reason than to hide what they are and thus escape persecution. Slight of Hand and Perform should both be class skills for all arcane casters. Druids likely simply spend most of thier time away from civilization and so lack the need for such skills.

Clerics may perhaps use a variant of Perform, but the populace likely know - and accept - that their power is from the gods and so can be trusted (to some extent, or at least moreso than arcane magic). Still, they may make a holy sign (cross themselves, whatever) when seeing magic, as if to ward it off somehow. Perhaps this has even become a divine tradition. Perhaps to balance the less martial cloistered cleric in this less magical setting Turning attempts can also be used to create a temporary Sanctuary that also blocks magic as by SR equal to the Cleric's class level and can shield himself and one other per class level - or he can place himself in the path of coming magic but cannot shield others within his bubble. This ability to perhaps shield against magic may perhaps make up for its multiple decreases in power. Arcane casters gain their two more skills and one or two more skill points - and likely need to make use of them to keep from finding prices doubled at inns - if a room is even available - and shops.

Note that with reduced number of casters (especially of higher levels, considering population patterns) and increased price for permanent magic items such items should be quite rare. A +1 sword is likely in use by a notable lord, and a +2 sword is likely in use by the king or his heir. A +3 sword is likely in use by the king or kept in his vault - or is held in the regional major temple to a combat deity for use by their champions or those on quests for their deity. A +1 flaming mace or bow is likely a rare and powerful item known to legends and myths but not seen in most cities - even metropolises - unless held by a notable local and powerful lord - and then it may only be seen during combat or during special ceremonies.

It may be best to consider the PCs wealth cut in half. Not because it is cut in half, but because magic items simply cost more. Perhaps other benefits might be gained to slightly make up for this - titles, lands, a ship, followers (paid by another or free gaining of the Leadership feat).

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Or...as I said before, buy the PDF of A Game of Thrones d20 by Guardians of the Order and you'll find yourself having the fun you want. Especially if your goal is to emulate the world and events of ASOIF.

reason

First Post

All stories are stories of the Fall. There's something rather good about having a glorious past of which mere hints remain; it works well on so many levels.

As has been discussed elsewhere on these boards (and I can't find a link to of course), you can have a setting full to the brim of magic and yet still low magic in effect because little of that magic can be utilized. If magic is like the rain, you can put out buckets to collect it, but the majesty of a thunderstorm is still the majesty of a thunderstorm.

Needless to say, I try to practice what I preach, but YMMV as always.

Reason
Principia Infecta

reason

First Post

S'what's it there for. That and to better illustrate points with examples that would take forever and a day to rewrite here. Concise brevity up front backed up with lots of writing elsewhere, that's the way go.

Reason
Principia Infecta

Remove ads