• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Low-magic settings and Core mechanics

HarryFlashman

First Post
Drew, unfortunately I no longer have the computer on which I stored the PDFs. But several ENWorld posters do have the rules so just post a request for them. the only Published book to use the rule is Forbidden Kingdoms (pulp roleplaying) by Otherworld Press.

Ken Hood hada skill-n-feats sytem for psionics and martial arts as well and a wonderful firearms system along withthe HP/AC/combat rules. All are seperate PDFs and do not require each other to work properly.

willpax

First Post
I'd second the usefulness of VP/WP. It's not that hard to convert, really--HP become VP, and you can do a quick WP calculation based on size and CON. I use it as the "fuel" for my own homebrew magic system.

One aspect of the core rules that needs attention in low/rare magic settings: the balance between attack and defense in combat. BAB progresses much faster than AC without hefty magic to balance things out.

I've tried several options: class-based defense bonuses and expanding expertise into a universal option have been two of the better ones, but they still seem to lack something. Nevertheless, expect offense to strip defense without some modifications.

HarryFlashman

First Post
Ken hood doles out BDB similar to the BAB progression
Good Average Poor
1: +2 +1 +0
2: 3 2 0
3: 3 2 1
4: 4 2 1
5: 4 3 1
6: 5 3 2
7: 5 4 2
8: 6 4 2
9: 6 4 3
10: 7 5 3

...and so on.
these numbers add together if you multiclass
They are added to your Dexterity bonus +Size modifier + Other (dodge bonus, Monk AC bonus , Shields, etc)
Armour reduces your max Dex bonus as per the normal rules plus a penalty is awardef ro light armour=-1, medium armou=-2, heavy armour =-4

If you car caught flat-footed you lose your BDB and Dex modifier as per the normal rules but you retain your BDB when attakced by invisible opponents.

That is not all. For every attack made against you ,you roll a 1d20 and add your Defense Bonus ( just like a contested Skills roll).

Armour, of course, grants DR. If you are wearing Fullplate then you ignore up to 8 points of Damage.

Last edited:

High level magic is the real problem

High level magic (and not magic in general) seems to be the real problem for people trying to capture a low-magic feel. (let's face it, 'charm person' and 'alter self' aren't the problem, 'greater teleport' and 'raise dead' are...)

The core rulebooks, perhaps inadvertently, already present a nice little fix...the adept...

Designed as a shaman-style spell caster for uncivilized cultures, the adepts spell progression, which caps at 5the level, provides a great low level feel.

in our campaign, we use two classes...a 'magician' (adept class with slightly different skill selection...arcane magic only...with spells limited to divination, illusion, and two other schools of choice)...and a 'deacon' (adept class with slightly different skill selection, acess to one domain...with one additional cleric spell at highest spell level cast, with an additional spell added at each descending level).

To make either adept a PC playable class...up the skill points and skill selection and throw in a couple of bonus feats...and now you're laughing

HarryFlashman

First Post
Nothing To See Here, I recently made a Low Magic alternative PC Class (actually a Low Caster PC Class) for the Adept.

Some might have problems because i do tend to give out Supernatural or spell-like abilities as class abilities and try to pass it off as low magic. The way I see it is that you want to limit the versatility of the wizard and his high damage potential.

I will let you be the judge of that:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78160

Go ahead and check it over. I would post it on this thread but i have no desire to performa hijacking. I currently have a wirte up for Non-casting Charismatic class based loosely on the Bard, as well.

Would you might putting up your "Deacon" Class I have yet to flesh out my low magic divine caster yet.

nice variant

I like that variant Harry...it kind of captures the feel, of the scholarly wizard-advisor to the king...powerful enough to be at the centre of plenty of intrigues, but not so powerful as to be teleporting all over the place dropping fireballs left, right and centre.

I'd be happy to post my Deacon variant...I'm at work right now though, so it'll ahve to wait a couple of hours before I get back to my notes.

...it all comes dow to returning magic as flavour...with some work, it can be done!

Xythlord

First Post
about a year back I was looking for a way to dramatically change my game. My group had just finished up a campaign (our first for 3e) and we were discussing the game as a whole. One of the biggest complaints they had over the course of 2 years of playing characters into the mid to high teens in levels were that towards the end, magic items and spells became more important that skills/feats and class abilities. While we all really enjoyed the flexibility of the d20 system I couldn't help thinking that the gluttony and even dependance of magic actually detracted from the play. So I started looking on the boards, searching the net, and tinkering on my own home brew changes. While looking on the nets I found a copy of Ken Hoods's Grim-n-Gritty system, which had many of the things that I had been thinking of, as well as quite a bit that just never occured to me. I ended up using a blend of that system, and Midnight's spell system to create a nice low magic, dangerous world even for higher leve characters (they are still heroic they just tend to worry about any combat a lot more now.....and they are terrified of even low level casters, our party wizard has almost every counterspell feat out there).

If anybody would actually like a cop of Ken Hood's Grim-N-Gritty d20 system please just e-mail me and I will be happy to send it to them. You can email me at Xythlord@hotmail.com and I will send you a copy.

Xyth

HarryFlashman

First Post
Xyth, you are my hero. Finally someone to aid me in my campaign to spread Ken Hood's Gospel like the plague!

Nothing to See here, glad you liked my variant class but I owe much thanks to the posters who helped me clean it up.

danzig138

Explorer
There are some good ideas here. I just wanted to sayt that, in my view of a low magic setting, flying creatures and giants should be rare, but dangerous. Even in a low magic setting, a giant should have a lot of HP. It's a giant. And everyone should carry missle weapons to deal with flying creatures. I second (third?) the use of VP/WP. If you want to reduce spell damage, like that dealt by fireball, maybe try one die every other level?

Here you go Harry, as requested...the NPC class 'Deacon'...useful as the rank and file of the priesthood...capable of minor magics...but nothing extreme.

Obviously, as a minor NPC class...it's intentionally weak. At the bottom I've added our (as of yet untried) optional additions to the class that would make the deacon a possibly attractive PC choice in a low magic setting.

NAME: DEACON

HD: d4.
Saves: poor Fort, poor Ref, good Will
BAB As Wizard

Class Skills: Concentration, craft, diplomacy, heal, knowledge (all), Profession, spellcraft

Skillpoints at 1st level: (4 + Int Modifier)x4
Skillpoints at each additional level: 4 + Int Modifier

Abilities:

1st LEVEL: Spells.

A deacon casts divine spells, which are drawn from an indvidualized spell list (see below). The deacon prepares his/her spells in advance exactly as a cleric does. Spells per day are exactly identical to the adept class in the DMG. A deacon cannot spontaneously convert his/her spells to cure/cause spells.

Deacons have highly restricted spell lists. They may choose one domain as their primary domain. These domain spells are not bonus spells, but instead added to their class list. A Deacon may also choose one additional spell from the general cleric list for the highest level spell he/she may cast, this spell is also added to the list. For each additional spell level known, the deacon may add an additional spell to the list (i.e. two additional spells for the 2nd highest spell level known, etc).

So, as an example. A 1st level deacon has a spell list consisting of 2 1st level spells (the domain spell and one additional general spell), and 2 0 level spells (no domain spell + 2 additional spells), while a 9th level deacon has a spell list of 5/4/3/2 for levels 1-3.

2nd LEVEL: Turn undead. Deacons turn undead as clerics of one half their class level.

PC PLAYABLE VARIANTS: For a low-magic PC playable divine caster...try the following changes to the class above.

1) up the HD to d6.
2) add a second primary domain
3) one of the primary domains becomes a 'specialized' domain...the deacon can cast spells from that domain as if they were one level lower than normal
4) double the number of spells on the deacon spell listfor every level.
5) use full class levels for turning undead.

just another low magic variant among the masses...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads