• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lower Decks season 2

I had filed it away in my mind as a "coming in a couple months" thing and then happened to think of it a few days ago right after it was released.

I felt it was a weaker episode, but not without its charms. Basically trying to do a high action episode that also reminded us of where everything was last season led to a lot of characters awkwardly yelling their thoughts and motivations in a way that took me out of the comedy sometimes. Also one of the lead characters was absent until the very end, and that naturally throws off the established comedic rhythms of the show a bit. But it left me excited for the next episode, so not a complete miss.

Vael

Legend
I'm quite surprised at how much I've turned around on the show. Mid S1, I hated Mariner and Boimler, didn't find the show funny ... both have changed now. S2 was really enjoyable, I like all the characters, and the finale was packed for a half hour show.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'd say that someone obviously saw "The Orville" and realized the bet that they were missing.

The basic idea of covering such characters has been knocking around since the original "Lower Decks," episode of ST: TNG in 1994.

The pitch for the show came from Mike McMahan - whom folks might know as a former producer and head writer for Rick and Morty - he got an Emmy for "Pickle Rick" for those who are familiar. This was not a guy who needed The Orville to give him ideas for comedy Star Trek.

Remove ads