• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Into the Wilds Part 1

Sezarious

Explorer
image.jpeg

"Hmmmhmmmhmmmhmmmm mmmmagicccc deeetectiooon mamamamamagiiic deeetehection Yeahyeahyeah".

Regar mostly found that concentrating on a good spell would help him to relax... But there was something about those old divination spells that sometimes triggered a stray memory... This was one of those times...

[sblock=Flashback]
"That boy is CRAZY!" Flashed the words in Regars mind. "Absolutely crazy! He is totally UNFIT for WIZARDRY!", Flashed the memory of the human male in Regars mind.

He remembered he (Regar) was 42 years of age. Only a child for an elf. He was standing quietly in the office of the previous headmaster, eyes red with tears, an angry look in his eyes. A nasty middle-aged human male in brightly coloured red robes, guilded with gold had a face that was red to match. He was gritting his teeth, the words of unkindness he spat from them were as venom in Regars ears.

The headmaster, an elderly gnomish man was the complete opposite. Calm and composed, this mirrored by the dark green colour of his robes and his oversized green hat, he sat staring blankly at the man, his arms resting on his desk, the tips of his fingers touching tentatively below his white bearded chin.

"You CANNOT continue to harbour this dangerous boy in the academy! He has NO common sense-"

"HE has an intelligence that is vastly superior to you and I and many other students here-" The gnome interrupted.

The human male cut in "He can't even talk with the others! Nor interact normally with them, nor hold a conversation with them, he is rude and arrogant and he often speaks back!"

The gnome replies with a polite smile, "Yes, I am aware of the many formal complaints you have made against him... Seven of them so far, none of which were found to have been disrespectful, rather, they have suggested you have gaps in your own knowledge-"

"That is UNACCEPTABLE!" The man interjected.

"I agree", whispered the gnome. The man, taken aback by this comment, remained silent and confused. Young Regar looked up at the gnome for a moment with sad eyes, before flinching down again as the man gave a spiteful look in his direction.

The old gnome lowered his voice, this time it was still quiet, but the gentleness was gone. He whispered to the man with a deadly look in his eye. "It is a strange coincidence that since you have started here six months ago Avron that the number of Elven and half students have dropped by more than half. Do answer my question, do you harbour a dislike for elves?" The old gnome reached a hand under his desk and the tiles below his desk started a faint glow.

Regars eyes widened slightly through his tears. He recognised the symbols immediately. This was a circle of truth spell!

Avron was too angry to look down and notice it! "More than dislike them. I hate, no, loathe all elves. They're all a bunch of filthy , up them-self snobs and THEY NEED to be wiped out from this world". The man was heaving in anger, then shock, then horror at what he had just said.

The old gnome smiled. "I'll accept your resignation now to save you the embarrassment of having to do so later." Avron said nothing. He glared once more at the old gnome, once more at Regar, then stormed out of the room.

The old gnome leaned forward and looked at young Regar who could do naught but look downward at his feet and sniff. "It's alright Regar, you'll be fine, you'll have a new teacher from now on. "Who?" Regar asked with sad eyes. The old gnome smiles back at him, taking the hat from his head, he placed it atop Regars, "We will sort things out soon, just, remember what you have learnt today!"

Young Regar paused for a moment to think before speaking up at the gnome, "Well you used magic to find out the truth and solve the problem sir, so i guess the lesson learnt is that MAGIC IS AWESOME!" The old gnome, looked at Regar a moment dumbfounded, before responding. "Erm, well, that's one lesson I guess.... Ehhh, you'll improve in time".[/sblock]

Post flashback, Regar snapped back into focus. "Whooo! MAGIC IS AWESOME!" He comments a little too loudly to the others as he looks to determine whether any magic is present in any part of the room.

[sblock=Regar Ministats]
Regar Lilothian - Level 1 Elven Wizard (Conjurer)
Alignment: NG
Languages: Common (Venzan), Elven, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan, Draconic (Class), Terran (Linguistics), Deltan (Free (Campaign related))
HP: 7 = [1d6 + CON (0) + FC (1)] (Wizard 1)
AC: 14 = [10 + DEX (4) + Armor (0) + Shield (0) + Natural (0) + Size (0) + Misc (0)]
Touch: 14
Flatfooted: 10
INIT: +8 = [DEX (4) + Misc (+4 Familiar)]
CMB: -1 = [BAB (0) + STR (-1) + Misc (0)]
CMD: 13 = [10 + BAB (0) + STR (-1) + DEX (4) + Misc (0)]
Fortitude: +0 = [Wizard 1 (0) + CON (0) + Misc (0)]
Reflex: +4 = [Wizard 1 (0) + DEX (4) + Misc (0)]
Will: +0 = [Wizard 1 (2) + WIS (-2) + Misc (0)]
Speed: 30'

• Acid Splash +4 (1d3+1 (Acid Flask as focus))
Attack: +4 = [BAB (0) + Ability (4), 25ft Crit: 20/x2, Special: Acid damage
• Acid Dart +4 (1d6)
Attack: +4 = [BAB (0) + Ability (4), 30ft Crit: 20/x2, Special: Acid damage
• Quarterstaff -1 (1d6-1)
Attack: -1 = [BAB (0) + Ability (-1), Crit 20/x2, Bludgeoning

Weapon Proficiencies: Longbow, longsword, rapier, short bow, club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff

[sblock=Familiar: Greensting scorpion (Spike)]

Greensting Scorpion CR 1/4
XP 100
N Tiny vermin
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +4
Defense
AC 18, touch 15, flat-footed 15 (+3 Dex, +3 natural, +2 size)
hp 4 (1d8)
Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +0
Immune mind-affecting effects
Offense
Speed 30 ft.
Melee sting +5 (1d2–4 plus poison)
Space 2-1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks poison
Statistics
Str 3, Dex 16, Con 10, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 7 (19 vs. trip)
Feats Weapon FinesseB
Skills Climb +7, Perception +4, Stealth +15; Racial Modifiers +4 Climb, +4 Perception, +4 Stealth
Ecology
Environment warm or temperate deserts, forests, plains, or underground
Organization solitary or colony (3–6)
Treasure none
Special Abilities
Poison (Ex) Sting—injury; save Fort DC 10; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect sickened for 1 round; cure 1 save.
Greensting scorpions normally live in forests, but can be found almost anywhere. Their pincers are too small to be dangerous to anything but other insects, but they have a poisonous sting that sickens even larger creatures.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Class and Racial Features, Feats and Traits]
Low-Light Vision: Can see twice as far in dim-light conditions
Elven Immunities
Elven Magic

Arcane school: Conjuration - Summoner's charm - Whenever you cast a conjuration (Summoning) spell, increase the duration by a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your wizard level (Minimum 1)
Acid dart: Standard action - any foe within 30ft ranged touch attack - 1d6 8/day

Spell focus: Conjuration (Class feature): +1 to Conjuration spell DC
Spell Specialization:Summon monster I (1st Level): Treat the spell as if cast 2 levels higher (Effectively gives 2 extra rounds to the duration of the spell)
Alertness (Familiar): +2 to sense motive and perception with your familiar on you

Capable (Skill): Become proficient in 1 skill and get +1 (Escape Artist)
Two world magic (Magic):Learn one extra cantrip from any list
[/sblock]

[sblock=Skills]
Escape Artist 9
Knowledge (Arcana) 9
Knowledge (Nature) 9
Knowledge (Planes) 9
Knowledge (Religion) 9
Linguistics 9
Spellcraft 9
[/sblock]

[sblock=Spells]
Spells Known:
0 Level: All wizard cantrips plus purify food/drink, minus restricted schools
1st Level: Colour spray, Feather fall, Grease, Mage armor, Mount, Obscuring mist, Protection from evil, Summon monster I
Learnt from scrolls: -Summon Minor Monster, break, burning hands

Spells Prepared (Ready):
0 Level: Read Magic, Detect magic, Acid splash
1st Level: Summon Monster I (Favored school), Mage Armor, Summon Monster I

Spells Expended:
1st level: Feather Fall.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Snorri's threats do not seem to have any effect on anything in the room.

Detect Magic
[sblock]
The gemstones do strongly radiate transmutation magic.
[/sblock]

Sezarious

Explorer
image.jpeg

"Awwww Geee Willies!", Regar states aloud.... "I'm detecting strong levels of Transmutation magic coming from EACH of the gems. Hmph... Figures. I'm not sure what, buuut it can't be good and is probably beyond our ability to collect them....Unless...." Regar looks puzzled as he weighs up the risks in his head.... "Well, if i can identify these things correctly, they MAY have a de-activation word or phrase... Gimmie a moment..."

With that, Regar takes a deep breath and begins feeling out the patterns in the magical auras...

[sblock=Mechanics]

Use detect magic combined with a spellcraft roll in an attempt to identify the spell used on the gems (or one for each? I was under the impression the two gems are effectively the one source of magic?).

[roll0]

13 isn't enough. 15 minimum, +1 per spell level. So if it were a 9th lv spell i would have needed 24... Oh well. Worth a shot.
[/Sblock]

Concentrating as much as he could, Regar just couldn't focus. Maybe it was the intensity of the magic he was focused on, but he should be better than this. On an average day, he could identify the majority of spells he came by with relative ease. He shook his head. "I'm sorry everyone. Unless we have time to stick around and I could try again, but otherwise, we may be flogging a dead cat here..."

Dissappointed at his failings, Regar slumps his shoulders with a slight pout. He kicks a small stone towards the wall as he does so. "I'd like a goblin to throw some acid at now i think..." With that he sighs as he turns to face the exit, taking a look out for any goblins sneaking up for target practice.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Regar finds his head is aching from the strain, not abating even when he releases his focus off of the gemstones.

OOC: If no one has anything else they would like to try by tomorrow, I will move the party out of this room and back towards the next.

ealt

Explorer
Maenor Thandgur

[section]

Maenor's finally manages to tear his eyes away from the gems. He places a reassuring hand on Regar's shoulder, "We can't all know everything. Where would be the fun in that?" With that he claps the young elf on the back and takes a careful look at the gems, this time with an eye for ongoing transmutation spells.
[/section]

[sblock=Actions]
Spellcraft:[roll0]
Not too much better, but maybe enough for your plan.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Maenor Thandgur Mini-Stats]
Maenor Thandgur
AC: 15 (11 flat-footed, 14 touch)
HP: 10/10
CMB: +0
CMD: 14

Fort: +3
Reflex: +3
Will: +3

Knowledge (Arcana): +7
Knowledge (History): +8
Perception: +2
Spellcraft: +7
Use Magic Device: +4

Arcane Pool: 3/4

Concentration: +6

Prepared Spells:
Cantrips (DC 13)
• Acid Splash
• Light
Level 1 (DC 14)
• Chill Touch

Current Weapon in Hand: Wakizashi, +5, 1d6+4, 18-20 x2
Current Conditions in Effect: Enhance Weapon (3 Rounds)
Temporary items in possession: None
Items not currently in possession: None
Items depleted: None
[/sblock]

sunshadow21

Explorer
Brog Strongheart

Brog frowns heavily at the mention of dark dwarves, but as he has little he can do about them them directly, that is all he does. He stands near the door watching for trouble, letting those more skilled in the arts of magic to explore the room at their leisure. The concerns of the young mage don't seem to phase him at all; failure was a large enough part of his own training that he is certain that the young man will learn and adapt.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kepli Stormborn

Kepli hadn't even realized that she was moving towards the statue as she studied the tiles. She looked at Snorri with relief and thanks as he restrained her from getting too close. She stepped back and fidgeted. Brog and Snorri's nervousness was infectious and she could wait to leave this chamber.

"What have you discovered?" Her question was directed at Regar and Maenor.

[sblock=OOC]Kepli perception: 1D20+11 = [6]+11 = 17[/sblock][sblock=MiniStats]
[size=+1]Kepli[/size]
Aasimar Shaman 2
Initiative: +1 Perception: +11 (+13 w/ Alertness); Darkvision 60 ft.
AC: 13 (11 touch; 12 flat-footed)
HP: 20 Current: 20
CMB: +2 CMD: 13
Fort:
+1 Ref: +1 Will: +6

In Hand: shortspear
Conditions: None yet
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Cure Light Wounds, Sleep
  • Orisons: Daze, Detect Magic, Guidance, Virtue

Special:

Concentration +7
Spirit Magic: Charm Animal 0/1
Stormburst: 6/6 (target treats foes as if they have concealment, 20% miss, for 1 round)
Fury Hex: 1/target (+2 morale to attack, +2 resistance to save vs fear; 3 rounds)
--Used:
Alchemist's Fire 2/2
sling (9/10 bullets)

[size=+1]Scuttle[/size] Seagull Spirit Animal
Initiative: +2 Perception: +10
AC: 15 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 10 Current: 10
CMB: +1 CMD: 7
Fort: +1 Ref: +4 Will: +5

In Beak: Nothing
Conditions: None yet
Special:
Speed: 10 ft; fly 40 ft
Melee: Bite +5 (1d3-4); 0 ft reach
Improved Evasion

[/sblock]

Sezarious

Explorer
Regar shrugs in Keplis direction before taking out his book again. "Gotta be some sort of trap for sure. The gems are what holds the magic. It's transmutation based, which is, in my opinion, one of the trickiest schools to guess as to the effects because it holds such variety."

He turns to Kepli after taking his map out ready to write in it again. "Anything from SOME raw damage spells to uh, a flesh to stone spell to... Damaging our equipment. Given the bodies around, i suspect it is NOT a disintegrate spell... And i think we can rule out the possibility the gems provide benevolent transmutation effects.... Hmmm."

Regar scratches his chin, looking down at the freshest body on the ground (the goblin one), he tries to work out whether there's any sign of the type of damage that killed it.

[sblock=Mechanics]

Knowledge Arcane - Looking for signs of magical damage
1d20+9
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The more recent bodies seem to have small little gnaw marks about them, but this isn't too surprising as it would make sense that local rodents might take time to chew on the remains.

Remove ads