• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Uncertain Whereabouts

Songdragon

Explorer
The halfling woman comes out from behind Arianna and bows to the halfling man as he is cut loose. She whispers, "Phedilo Crea? We are here to help you. A friend, a strange gnome, a seer in time perhaps, sent us. Are you injured?"

Qik

First Post
[sblock=Thuvian]You don't sense anything amiss regarding the halfling, although your confidence in your assessment is not 100%.[/sblock]

Phedilo's eyes widen even further in the shock of hearing his name. At the mention of the gnome, he begins nodding vigorously. "Yes, yes...I mean, no, no....I mean..." he takes a breath to steady himself, adjusts his glasses (which does little to improve his appearance, given his current state), and continues. "You must forgive me: although I have not been able to keep proper track of time in this cave, I imagine it has been at least a week since I've come here. It has been quite a...trying time," he says, swallowing hard. When he continues, he seems to have calmed somewhat. "What I intended to say was, yes, my name is Phedilo Crea, and yes, I know the gnome that you speak of: while not a friend per se - his only friends are the whispers of viewing and the voices of time - I have worked with him often enough. I should have guessed he would send someone. And no, madam," he adds with a shake of his head, "I am mostly uninjured, although it has been a trying ordeal, to be sure."

Last edited:

Songdragon

Explorer
The halfling bows slightly once again, "If it is not too much trouble, might you tell us of your captors?"

[sblock=Saranna Surefoot's Actions & Stats]Move Action:
Standard Action:
Swift Action:
Free Action:
Miscellaneous Actions:

Saranna Surefoot (Songdragon)
Hallfing Rogue 1
Initiative: +3 Perception: +8
Conditions: n/a
AC: 17 (14 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 6 of 8
CMB: -1 CMD: 12 Fort: +1 Ref: +6 Will: +3
In Hand: rapier (+5, 1d4, 18/x2) & shield[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
Arianna guards the doorway, looking out into the cavern, while the little ones talk.
[sblock=mini-stats]Arianna Mermaid ~ Perception +2, Sense Motive +2, Stealth +1, Low Light Vision
Base HP 10/0, AC 14, 12 T, 12 FF, Init +2
Current HP: 10
, Current AC: 18
CMB +0, CMD 12, Fort +1, Reflex +2, Will +4 . . Move 5'
Long Spear +0, d8 with 10' reach
Spear Gun +2, d8
Dagger +0, d4 or thrown +2, d4
Active Enhancements: mage armor
In hand: none

Consumables: 1 potion of Cure Light Wounds, 39 spear gun bolts, 4 days rations
Summon Monster I: 7/day, 0 used
.Cantrips: unlimited Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Drench, Jolt
1st Level: 2/day, 2 used Mage Armor, Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon

Beast ~ Perception +10, Sense Motive +2, 60' Darkvision and Low Light Vision
Base HP 10/11, AC 15, 11 T, 14 FF, Init +1
Current HP: 10/2, Current AC: 19
CMB +4, CMD 15, Fort +1, Reflex +1, Will +4 . . Move 30'
Claw/Claw +4, d4+3
Longspear +4, d8+4 with 10' reach
Spear Gun +2, d8
Dagger +4, d4+1 or thrown +2, d4+3
Active Enhancements: Mage Armor 50 min, tick, tick, tick
In hand: longspear[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
The halfling once again adjusts his glasses in what seems to be a nervious tic; frowning thoughtfully, he says, "No, I don't mind, my dear, but I'm not sure how much use I'll be. But I'll be glad to tell you what I know." As Phedilo speaks, the others notice him shifting from a demeanor appropriate to a prisoner to that of a scholar, which he seems to wear well.

"From what I can tell, those responsible for my imprisonment are known as the Ears of the Whisperer. As you may know - having found me here, after all - the Ears claim to be followers of Issolatha, a halfling deity holding sway over the divinatory arts, among other things. I say 'claim' because the Ears and their actions are far from representative of Issolatha's followers on the whole - I should know, being one myself. But in any event, their association with the Divine Whisperer, unreciprocated though it may be, is indicative of their interests: the Eye that Peers Through the Veil, the Hidden Path, and the Other World and its inhabitants. Beyond these general interests, their intentions and pursuits are little known, but some have taken notice of the fact - not the least of which being myself, given my current circumstances - that they have become increasingly active in pursuing whatever aims they have. Their theft of the gnome's seeing-deck - which likely rivals that of any comparable artifact in this part of the world - is indicative of this increase.

As for why they saw fit to take me prisoner: I am, among other things, extremely knowledgeable in the area of magical items, both in terms of their origins and their utilization. The gnome's deck, much like the gnome himself, doesn't give up its secrets easily - the order brought me here in the hopes of using my knowledge to glean some of these secrets. I am happy to say that they were, on the whole, unsuccessful to this end. A short time ago - perhaps a day or two - those members of the order who were questioning me left hurriedly. Given your presence here now, my guess is that they became aware of your pursuit of them. Not even the gnome could keep them completely in the dark of your coming, especially in the absence of the necessary tools."

It seems clear that Phedilo could continue to talk if desired, and only stopped here in the absence of a more suitable place to do so.

[sblock=OOC]Also wanted to mention - at this point we're approaching the end of my original adventure (my guess is a weekish, give or take). As I'd mentioned earlier, I did prepare a bit of an add-on - mostly combat-based, something of a different vibe than what we've had so far, also designed to expand a bit on both Phedilo and the Ears of the Whisperer. As it stands, it would bring everyone to level 2. I wanted to check and make sure that everyone was interested in continuing on, though - if anyone wanted to bow out, for whatever reason, I'd totally understand. So just let me know what you think: if we need to, I'm sure we can pick up some replacements.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Songdragon

Explorer
"A few days ago you say. That is most unusual, as we knew nothing of the Whispering or this place until last evening. We made straight for this hideout of theirs in the morning. I wonder how they became aware that we were on our way, before we knew we would be on our way." The hallfing woman comments.

"The gnome's magics cards, you saw them? Did your captors mention where they might have taken them?" she asks.

(( Was there any more to the caves we entered, or was it a dead end to the door. Sarana is available to continue. :) ))

Qik

First Post
"A few days ago you say. That is most unusual, as we knew nothing of the Whispering or this place until last evening. We made straight for this hideout of theirs in the morning. I wonder how they became aware that we were on our way, before we knew we would be on our way."

The halfling gives a knowing shake of the head. "To those skilled in the divinatory arts, there is no discrepancy in possessing such knowledge," he says simply.

"The gnome's magics cards, you saw them? Did your captors mention where they might have taken them?"
"Unfortunately they did not see fit to share their plans with their prisoner," says Phedilo, puffing himself up grumpily at the notion. "I was, however, able to glean the name of one of the individuals involved in my...err, "interrogation", shall we say: Emerous Sloh. I was unable to discern much beyond that, however: the man stayed concealed in what I took to be magical shadows the entire time he was questioning me. I was unable to identify so much as his race with any certainty (though I can say that he is not blessed to be small folk, for which I am thankful). In any event, that is all I can tell you about my captors. Who knows, perhaps in their haste to leave, they left the gnome's deck in the chest they've been keeping here?"

With a wave of his hand, the halfling gestures the the impressive chest that you spotted when you first walked in the room.

Qik

First Post
Saranna moves to inspect the chest and is glad to find that it is untrapped. It is when she moves to have a work on the lock that she notices it's unusual construction.

The chest is gilded in gold and ornately decorated with vaguely plant-like images. More importantly, however, is it's locking system: the chest is actually held closed by six locks, one on each corner and one each in the middle of the longer sides. Setting to work on the first one, she first fails - *click* - then succeeds at undoing it. Stepping back to survey her work, she can see that, although she's opened the one lock, her failure seems to have activated some sort of auto-lockdown mechanism. She's not sure how many more chances she'll have, but it seems as though the chest's locks will clamp down and be unable to be opened if she fails enough times. As she considers her next point of attack, she spies some odd writing on the top of the chest...

[sblock=OOC]This is chest is actually a skill challenge of sorts. The lock can be opened by a certain amount of successful DD checks - can I get, say, 7 more, Songdragon? It's also worth mentioning that successful Knowledge (Engineering) or Linguistics checks will provide Saranna with a bonus on her DD checks. The language is in Sylvan, but if I remember correctly, none in the group speak it.[/sblock]

Remove ads