• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lucky Archetype

Chryssis

Explorer
This is an idea I had based on a character who was the 7th son of a 7th son (Luck child), I borrowed generously from Jester's luck domain to create the abilities. Please provide your thoughts. Initially I thought it would fit well with the rogue, however the synergies with sneak attack were too much I felt, so I thought the Fighter might be a better fit for a martial based on luck (since you can already simulate this somewhat with a bard/sorcerer/diviner)

When you choose this archetype at 3rd level you learn how to make your own luck and eschew shields, heavy and medium armor, trusting in your luck to keep you safe. If you do not trust in your luck and use a shield, heavy, or medium armor your luck abandons you and you cannot use any abilities gained through this archetype.

3rd level Karma: Trade bad luck now for good luck later you may give yourself disadvantage each time you do you gain 1 karma point. If for any reason you do not use the lowest of the dice rolled you do not gain a karma point. You may store up to half your level of karma points. Before seeing the roll or you may spend 1 karma point to give yourself advantage on any single attack, save, or ability check or an enemy disadvantage on any single attack, save or ability check.

3rd level Lucky day: Each sunrise you may grant 1 luck die to either yourself or an ally, these luck die last until dusk at which point any unspent dice are lost. Increases to 3 dice at 10th level

7th level Lucky break: As a reaction when you or an ally is hit by an attack or fails a save, roll double the damage dice and choose the lowest. Or when you hit with an attack roll double the damage dice and choose the highest. 1/short or long rest

15th level Extraordinary luck: Whenever you have advantage you may roll 1 additional die

18th level Impossible luck: you have advantage on all saving throws.

Chryssis

Explorer
For some reason I feel that this Archetype makes more sense as a Bard or Rogue than a Fighter.

Stylistically i tend to agree however i thought it would be too much of a synergy with sneak attack, and wanted to avoid a spellcaster since the wild sorc already has some similar effects.

this is part of the reason that i put in the light armour restriction to make it seem a bit more like a martial bard/non-sneak attack rogue.

Quartz

Hero
I'm not sure I'm reading the 7th level ability correctly. Do you mean ' As a reaction... roll the damage dice twice and choose the lower result. Or when you hit with an attack roll the damage dice twice and choose the higher result'?

I assume a luck die is a d20.

The 3rd level Karma ability is far too good if you can choose after seeing the result. Just use it every time and wait until you get a set where both rolls succeed and only then choose the lower number.

Chryssis

Explorer
I'm not sure I'm reading the 7th level ability correctly. Do you mean ' As a reaction... roll the damage dice twice and choose the lower result. Or when you hit with an attack roll the damage dice twice and choose the higher result'?

I assume a luck die is a d20.

The 3rd level Karma ability is far too good if you can choose after seeing the result. Just use it every time and wait until you get a set where both rolls succeed and only then choose the lower number.

Thanks for the comments Quartz,

1. 7th level ability - Both. it uses your reaction, so either on your turn you make an attack and hit then use your reaction to for lack of a better terminology gain advantage on your damage dice (eg you normally roll 1d12 so you roll instead 2d12 and choose the better result) or if you didnt use it on your turn (and therefore still have your reaction) you can use it when you or someone else is hit/fails a save to reduce the damage (give disadvantage on the damage). Since it is once per rest you will never be able to do both actions you have to choose one or the other.

2. yes a luck die is a d20 (as per the lucky feat)

3. I specify in the text later but maybe it wasn't clear enough or I should say it before the first part of the ability, "Before seeing the roll or you may spend 1 karma point" the intention was that you would declare that you use it before you roll. So I attack the Zombie (ac 8 so i'm confident I will hit) I will use karma and take disadvantage, I roll a 1 and a 19, oh nuts my DM is mean and has harsh critical failure rules I dont want to break my axe, I will use a luck die to roll a 3rd die and let me choose the die I want, you do not gain the karma point since you did not take the 1 of the original roll. Works if you already have advantage/disadvantage to an extent as well.

Advantage:

I attack the prone zombie I will use karma, Since I have advantage I roll 2 dice, since I use Karma I have disadvantage (cancels out advantage) roll 1 fewer die. Roll 1 die, take the result. (or use a lucky die/halfling lucky trait and dont get the karma point)

I attack the prone zombie, I can't use a karma point to gain advantage, I already have it.

Dis-advantage:
Help i'm blind! I swing wildly at the tarrasque, I have disadvantage therefore cannot get disadvantage again - can't gain a karma point since I didn't gain disadvantage I already had it.

help i'm blnid! I swing wildly at the tarrasque, I have disadvantage therefore I will spend a karma point to gain advantage. Hurray I attack normally, roll 1 die.

Remove ads