Lvl 3 Human V Assassin Rogue in Combat Heavy Campaign.

IITrollface

Villager
Hey boys, just searching for a little advice on my build. I took Alert lvl 1 and have high wisdom for perception and eventually Observant. I was going to go straight assassin all the way through. Only thing is we have been in a lot of combat and in a lot of dark places. The party doesn't have any Dark vision so I'm looking to find NV googles eventually. I am looking for advice on if I should multiclass in to fighter or ranger(gloomstalker) since it seems to be combat heavy. Or if I should just stick to my guns with assassin. Really like the surprise round one shot ability. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Straight Assassin Rogue with the Alert feat works just fine. The surprise auto-crit part of Assassinate probably won't happen for you much in a combat-heavy campaign, but the part of Assassinate gives you advantage on any enemy in the first round as long as you beat their initiative, that is actually highly underrated. That means you land an almost certain Sneak Attack without having to wait on allies to set you up, or having to spend any other actions or bonus actions to get it. That alone is quite significant.

Also, taking Fighter or Ranger levels won't really pay off until you get up to Lv. 5 in one of those. If you're already a Lv. 3 Rogue, that means your'd have to wait until Lv. 8 for your multiclass to pay off, and your Sneak Attack would fall behind in the meanwhile. So I'd stay straight Rogue at this point for that reason alone.

Last edited:

IITrollface

Villager
@Gladius Legis Awesome, thanks for input. I will probably stick to assassin. 2 more questions. Damage wise best thing is hand xbow with xbow expert, sharpshooter, and 20 dex correct? Also how would you suggest dealing with no dark vision when sneaking and scouting? (I can't wait till observant and Night vision goggles lol)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
@Gladius Legis Awesome, thanks for input. I will probably stick to assassin. 2 more questions. Damage wise best thing is hand xbow with xbow expert, sharpshooter, and 20 dex correct? Also how would you suggest dealing with no dark vision when sneaking and scouting? (I can't wait till observant and Night vision goggles lol)
The rogue is good in such a campaign regardless of getting the assassinate off, but if you simply ask your party to let you start fights as often as possible by sneaking up on the most dangerous thing in an enemy group, you will really shine, and fights will be that much easier when you do manage to use that ability.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

Stealth is largely DM dependent. Probably can't help you there without a lot more info. handxbow gives a bit of damage boost. That said - hiding in combat can grant advantage. Also largely dependent on your DM. For now I'd attempt that more often and see how it goes. If it works quite often for you I wouldn't even bother with crossbow expertise from an optimization standpoint. Take the longer range of the regular bow.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If you find yourself in need of darkvision a 2 level dip into warlock can work provided you meet the 13 cha req. Alternatively just ask one of the casters to pick up the darkvision spell. It's a great spell to add some darkvision to the party.

Ideally I would have chosen wood elf to make a rogue assassain. Easier stealthing, darkvision, faster speed, access to longbows and the dex/wisdom stats you want.

IITrollface

Villager
If you find yourself in need of darkvision a 2 level dip into warlock can work provided you meet the 13 cha req. Alternatively just ask one of the casters to pick up the darkvision spell. It's a great spell to add some darkvision to the party.

Ideally I would have chosen wood elf to make a rogue assassain. Easier stealthing, darkvision, faster speed, access to longbows and the dex/wisdom stats you want.
Unfortunately I have high Wis and Intel, I was aiming for a tracker style assassin. I work from range mostly but melee for style assassination sometimes

Esker

Hero
Gloomstalker and Assassin pair really well together: the extra initiative boost helps you get that first round advantage, and then you also get an extra attack during that round when you have it. Plus, being invisible in darkness vs creatures who rely on darkvision means I'd pick up your ASI at 4th first, but then taking your next three levels in ranger for Gloomstalker is not a bad idea at all, IMO (and once you're to ranger 3 you may as well go to ranger 5 for extra attack).

You do miss out on 2d6 sneak attack dice, so for levels 5 and 6 you'll be slightly behind where you'd be as a straight assassin, but at Ranger 2 you do get that fighting style; the extra +2 to hit from archery style is certainly welcome on a rogue, even if it's diminished slightly when you already have advantage. You can also get Hunter's Mark, which helps close the sneak attack gap.

At ranger 5 you can pick up Pass Without Trace, which would really help your party get surprise. Healing Spirit is another great 2nd level ranger spell.

Remove ads