• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

M&M 2nd Recommendations?

Thanee

First Post
Hi there!

I have the 2nd Ed. Rules for Mutants & Masterminds, and now the Mastermind's Manual.
While that's certainly enough to play, more books are always better. ;)
But I would like to get books, that I will get some use of.

I will probably get the 2nd Ed. Freedom City sooner or later. That seems like a no-brainer.
Is the 1st Ed. Freedom City of any use still, or is it obsolete with the new one?

Anything else, that one should consider to buy?
How about that Annual? Is it useful, worthwhile?

Are there any cool adventure campaigns for M&M available?
I always find it a bit difficult to think up nifty adventures for superheroes. :)

Bye
Thanee

Shalimar

First Post
If it was a choice between the Mastermind's Manual and Ultimate Power I would recommend Ultimate Power. Since you have the Mastermind's Manual and are still looking for more I can say without any hesitation that Ultimate Power should top your list. Freedom City 2E makes the first edition fairly redundant, a few things were left out, but more was added, a lot more.

Karl Green

First Post
I really like Freedom City and Ultimate Power... the rest not so well... and the next "6" previewed ones coming down the pipe, not really my cup of tea.

I don't use Freedom City as my default setting BUT I do use parts of it for my own supers game. I do wish the power set up as presented in Ultimate Power were used in the Main rulesbook as I like that set up MUCH better. I good chuch of what made me unhappy about 2nd ed was addressed in Ultimate Powers ;)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Thanee said:
Hi there!

I have the 2nd Ed. Rules for Mutants & Masterminds, and now the Mastermind's Manual.
While that's certainly enough to play, more books are always better. ;)
But I would like to get books, that I will get some use of.

I will probably get the 2nd Ed. Freedom City sooner or later. That seems like a no-brainer.
Is the 1st Ed. Freedom City of any use still, or is it obsolete with the new one?

Anything else, that one should consider to buy?
How about that Annual? Is it useful, worthwhile?

M&M Annual and Freedom City 1E are pretty much useless now (well, FC1E is still great froma fluff perspective)

If you have the 2E Core Book and the Masterminds Manual I thik you should efinitely pick up Ultimate Power next.

Masterminds Manual and Ultimate Power are just fantastic.

If the upcoming books focusing on Magic and Devices match the quality of the of Ultimate Power this line will be so far out in front for my "Favorite Game Ever" that I doubt it will ever be unsseated.

Ben Robbins

First Post
Thanee said:
Are there any cool adventure campaigns for M&M available?
I always find it a bit difficult to think up nifty adventures for superheroes. :)
How about a free adventure?

Dr Null: Battle on the Bay Bridge

It's got bridges (well okay, just one), rampaging tripod walkers (well again, just the one), and bugbots (lots and lots of those).

Like I said, the first one's free, but once you're addicted to that Dr Null goodness, oh we'll talk my friend, we'll talk...

I'd say Ultimate Power should be your next purchase. If you want power options and a much more in-depth look at how powers work or are constructed, then this is the book to get. Some of what's discussed can also be put to use for magic and device-based characters in lieu of more specific books for those character types.

Freedom City is a good fluff book, with the 2e probably being the most use in terms of character stats. And if you need bad guys in a pinch, the FC rogues gallery has plenty of choices.

As for official adventures, the only thing on the horizon is Time of Vengeance, as well as talk of updating Time of Crisis to 2e. For adventures, your best bet is third-party pdfs.

Also on the third party pdf front, look up Ronin Arts' Archetype Archives, as well as the Villanous Archetypes for more ready-to-roll bad guys of varying power levels.

D.Shaffer

First Post
I echo the calls for Ultimate Power. It's almost a must have. Beyond that, the only thing that's a 'must have' for me are the various archetype collections.

If you really like the Golden Age of comics, I wouldnt hesitate to recommend that, but it might not be your cup of tea.

Swack-Iron

First Post
While I agree that UP is a great crunch book, do keep in mind that FC is often considered one of the best setting books ever written -- there are plenty of reviews of FC out there to back up that assertion. So I think it all comes down to what you want:

* If you want more crunch, buy Ultimate Power.

* If you want more fluff, buy Freedom City.

* If your budget will support it, buy both -- we all promise you won't be disappointed. :D

Erstwhile

First Post
Swack-Iron said:
* If you want more crunch, buy Ultimate Power.

* If you want more fluff, buy Freedom City.

* If your budget will support it, buy both -- we all promise you won't be disappointed. :D

Yeah, I'll add my voice to the chorus. Freedom City was a really good sourcebook for me when I started with M&M - expanded the range of villains, for a start. I don't actually use Freedom City as my main setting (for the most part I use the setting from Silver Age Sentinels) but Freedom City's provided some good inspiration. I'd recommend it.

And Ultimate Power is a really good sourcebook as well. Also definitely recommended.

I recently bought Golden Age, and it's also very good, but obviously pretty narrowly focussed. Unless you want to run a Golden Age-style campaign, it won't be of much use (though it is fun to read!).

Krolik

First Post
If I were was going to suggest your next two books from Green Ronin for M&M they would be Freedom City 2E and Ultimate Power, in that order. While UP gives you plenty of new optional power-sets FC shows you how to use the rules within the game. FC is also very enjoyable to read as it is full of character homages and hidden tidbits that make comic geeks like me geek-out over. :)

If you are looking for two for good Superlink products I would suggest The Algernon Files 2E from BlackWyrm Games and Autumn Arbor Campaign Setting from Arbor Productions. Both of those books are full of useful and entertaining to read characters. I would also highly recommend the various PDF adventures from Ben's company - the free one he listed above.

Remove ads