• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

M&M and pulp heroes...eek

Albert_Fish

First Post
I want to do a Pulp game. i am uing the Dungeon magazine and Forbidden Kingdoms. To create super hero characters ( like The Shadow) i have thought aobut using the Mutants and masterminds rulesset. Unfortunately M&M does not use a normal damage system. how much damage should some of the pwers do? is there a better way to simulate super powers?

if i use M&M should i use the M&M character creation rules ( startingheroes at 1st level) or what?
HELP!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
If you use this, DEFINITELY use the 1PP=3 skill points variant described in the oficial errata. It'll help quite a bit!

mistergone

First Post
Here's a case where I would actually suggest you stick with what you already have. Just make up some power-like abilities.. aren't there some rules for mental powers in Forbidden Kingdoms?

DanMcS

Explorer
Coincidentally, the group I play in just started a pulp game using mutants and masterminds. I don't know comics or pulps, really, but according to our GM, a comic geek, MnM works great for pulp games. He says ours is a little higher powered and more comic-booky than an authentic pulp, though.

Our characters are PL 7, but powers are limited to +5. Skill points are 1 pp/3 skill points.

Our heroes, headquartered in a huge dirigible, went off to Africa for our first adventure to find that the Nazis were attempting to capture the power of a genie for their nefarious schemes.

My character is a pilot/inventor who made himself a pair of mechanical bird wings. We also have a ghost, a panther-totem guy from central america, and a big dumb boxer. It's great fun.

PL 10 is apparently standard starting level for superhero games. If you want to have a lower powered game, just go with PL 4 or 5. At 5, your heroes would be 75 point characters, so not too powerful, and you could rule in a limit on powers they could have, to maybe 1 or 2 less than their power level.

If you want to use MnM stuff with a more regular d20 system, with hps and such, I think there are variant rules for that in the book.

Voneth

First Post
For Pulp, you will also want to restrict the levels of Super Attributes (especially if you make skills cheaper) and certain powers.

For my space opera game, I cap the super atts at PL 2 and powers like Incorpreal need to be banned or restricted in some fashion to keep things balanced.

teitan

Legend
I think MnM would make an interesting pulp level game, but would restrict it to PL 5 or 6, 8 for Doc Savage and that just for his gadgeteering etc. I was going to use D20 Modern for my next pulp campaign, but maybe I will use a low powered MnM. Use the gritty rules from the sidebar definitely though

Jason

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
I've been playing in a pulp game that's been going for about a year now. We started off using White Wolf's Aeon (which we were all pretty unhappy with), and then switched to Mutants & Masterminds when it came out.

We have been very happy with M&M. We started our characters off at power level 4 and are just about to level them up to 5. We're also using the 3:1 skill point option.

The game is fast and fun. The rules really facilitate play. I can't recommend using M&M enough.

Here's the character that I am running. He's a hero of the working class, strongman, and more recently, globe-trotting adventurer!

Joe "Knuckles" Kowalski
Power Level 4

-=CHARACTERISTICS=-
Str: 20
Dex: 14
Con: 20
Int: 10
Wis: 14
Chr: 14

-=SAVES=-
Dmg: 7
Fort: 5
Refl: 2
Will: 2

Defense: 16
Initiative: +2
Hero Pts: 3

-=ATTACKS=-
BAB: 4
Melee: 9
Ranged: 6

-=WEAKNESSES=-
Quirk: Won't hit a lady

-=FEATS=-
Connected (working-class/underworld)
Heroic Surge
Improved Grapple
Leadership
Moveby Attack
Rapid Strike
Toughness

-=SKILLS=-
Climb: 8
Diplomacy: 8
Gather Info: 7
Intimidate: 8
Sense Motive: 6
Survival: 4
Taunt: 7

-=POWERS=-
Super-Strength: 1

SparrowThirteen

First Post
M&M has a "Hit points" variant in the core book, if you want to do pulp with Hit points, that might want to take a look at that. I believe this is in one of the early chapters.

Remove ads