M&M - Chosen (Recruiting Closed)

Jemal

Adventurer
Shayuri - I'm gonna say no for now. We'll see how the campaign & character play out as to wether or not it will be appropriate.

Shalimar - Does this 'gold problem' start the instant she's in contact with it or does it take that 20 minutes before the effects are shown?

Bialaska - OK, so from what I'm reading, it's not really that she's got all this metal in her, it's just that the 'meteor' changed her so that she can alter her genetic structure to change INTO this metalic stuff. correct?
Also, Two things.
First: Same mass with more density means compacting the existing mass into a smaller area. To keep the same size and increase density you'd have to increase Mass (Which is why the Density power increasses your weight). The material can't just be making your body denser and maintaining the same mass. Either she'd get smaller, or she'd get heavier.

Second: not sure about real-world science, but in comics/sci-fi, the radiation signature given off by metals is normally different if it's exra-terrestrial (From somewhere other than earth), so if you want it to appear to be an earth-metal to sensors/scans, that'll require it to have been specially designed as such (This may not mean anything to you as a character, since you don't know where it came from, but it helps me with filling in the 'big picture' of why/how/who).

Bialaska

First Post
Bialaska - OK, so from what I'm reading, it's not really that she's got all this metal in her, it's just that the 'meteor' changed her so that she can alter her genetic structure to change INTO this metalic stuff. correct?

I guess you could say that. The meteor she found wasn't larger than her fist, so she's not all metal, she just changes into metal. My thought is that it works a bit like the Colossus (of the X-Men).

Also, Two things.
First: Same mass with more density means compacting the existing mass into a smaller area. To keep the same size and increase density you'd have to increase Mass (Which is why the Density power increasses your weight). The material can't just be making your body denser and maintaining the same mass. Either she'd get smaller, or she'd get heavier.

Uhm... There's a reason I didn't get good grades in chemistry and physics. :blush: But once again I'm pointing to the way Colossus works. I mean he transforms his flesh into metal too. But isn't mass equal to size, while density is equal to weigth? Or is that me messing things up?

Second: not sure about real-world science, but in comics/sci-fi, the radiation signature given off by metals is normally different if it's exra-terrestrial (From somewhere other than earth), so if you want it to appear to be an earth-metal to sensors/scans, that'll require it to have been specially designed as such (This may not mean anything to you as a character, since you don't know where it came from, but it helps me with filling in the 'big picture' of why/how/who).

Well, it doesn't appear to be an earthly metal (though as I said, some might believe it to be a new alloy of a sort). Someone with the knowledge about extra-terrestial metals will probably know it's unearthly.

Walking Dad

First Post
WD - You can make it whatever you want so long as it's something 'major' (And by major I don't mean worth a specific number of points, I mean something that AFFECTS your character, not just somethign that 'could, conceivably, somewhere along the lines, have an effect').

This isn't supposed to be about minimizing your weaknes, it's about having an achiles heel that has a major effect on your character when it comes into play. As H4H allready reposted from what i said to Mal earlier when he asked a similar question:

I don't think a +1 dc vs heat would fall into that category. With impervious 8, a minor vulnerability would still leave you immune to flamethrowers(Base 6 + 1 = 7).. does that make sense for an ice-man who's supposed to be weak against fire?

I'd suggest the following: Common, Moderate Vulnerability, Plus a limit on your protection: Not Impervious vs fire. Or perhaps just a major vulnerability without the protection limit, and we could reduce it to Uncommon instead of common.
Thoughts/Alternatives?

I already got this limitation to 'Impervious'. What do you mean by changing it to 'uncommon'? The frequenzy of heat attacks or change it to another vulnerability?

Shalimar

First Post
The power loss starts right away, the cumulative -1 to each attribute takes 20 minutes of exposure. Before the 20 minutes she'll be itching, sore, etc. Thats the way the Weakness drawback works. If she is exposed to it for just under 4 hours she dies, and be fully paralyzed for the 40 odd minutes before she dies.

Shayuri

First Post
Jemal - Alrighty then, that works. One last question, not related to mechanics.

Do you have a 'group' origin in mind, or should I devise a story for the how and why of Facade's change? At first I thought you had something specific in mind for us, but the origins in the other characters make me think I may have been mistaken. I already have an idea, so it won't delay me if you are letting us do our own origins.

Also, re alien metals. Jemal's right on the money about density and mass. Density is nothing more than a measure of mass per unit volume. Substances like water have less mass per unit volume than something like, say, steel. Thus, a cubic centimeter of steel is denser than a cubic centimeter of water (which is why steel sinks in water). So yes. If you change density but not mass, your volume has to change. Happily, as I read it, her mass does change quite a bit, so there's no real problem (other than that of violation of physical law, which comic book guys do all the time) :).

Of the metals you listed, lead and gold are actually -not- magnetic. ;)

About the identification of alien metals, unless the metal is radioactive or has unusual characteristics that are identifiable by x-ray or strange magnetic properties, I don't see how an ordinary metal detector or x-ray machine used for security purposes would be able to tell it's alien. They might certainly detect its presence...and the x-ray in particular could make a pretty weird image if this metal is in her body when it's not covering her. A more detailed scientific scan could probably determine that this stuff is not of Earthly origin...if it wasn't obvious due to its weird behavior.

Thanks again, Jemal. I'll fix up my sheet, write up my background, and have her up shortly!

Updated sheet mechanics.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
just in case anybody's wondering - NO, I haven't given up on this (Or any of my other DMing pursuits), I'm just having some RL things ATM (Not the least of which is finding a new job). Feel free to continue with any questions/discussions you have, and I'll do my best to respond, and will start the game when things're better.

Specifically, to give y'all somethin to think bout while I'm busy, here's a question:

How quickly would your character go about trying to actively reveal their powers? Would they be adamant about hiding it, not really care, or be looking for a way to reveal themselves?

As the campaign/story begins, none of you are 'out' yet, though if you wish to have plans (Or have told a few people allready), thats fine. I just don't want your super-powers to be public knowledge... yet.

Shalimar

First Post
Carly would take things slow. She is a pretty thoughtful person and wouldn't jump into anything. She wouldn't hold back if it meant someone getting hurt, but her powers aren't flashy at all so discovery should not be an issue for her.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Edgar has already revealed his powers to his friend, Eva Nolan. Considering the nature of his powers, I don't think he would be quick to their exact nature to the public at large.

However, I do think he would try to find ways to subtlety and covertly use his powers for entertainment/artistic purposes. For instance, I could see him using his powers to create art instillation that mimic the visual appearance of "water/smoke/fog/mist screen" optical illusions or pepper's ghost illusions.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I expect Facade wouldn't willingly reveal her powers so much as she'd get ''outed" by a mistake or someone putting two and two together. :)

Alternatively, if something she really wanted to do or be part of required super powers, she'd reveal them.

But I see her as having fun with them first.

hero4hire

Explorer
Odie would definitely be thrashing around on his deck, pulling off sick moves that no one else could possibly do. I mean what kid wouldn't cut loose right? But being chalk-white when he uses his powers protects his identity a la comicbook style (ppl are to dumb to realize they look alike?) and probably the only ppl to witness him has been skater punks and who the hell listens to them?

Remove ads