M&M game interest?

Voda Vosa

First Post
Concept: The Persian

Once the mightiest warrior of the Persian army, Zarsauthra walked like a god among men. Generals bowed before him, and listened to his advice in the batlefield. He turned the tides of battle, with wits and his implacable steel. He fought for what he thought right, for what he thought it was justice, for what the gods told him, was his holy mission.
Oh evasive destiny, how you trap those that have faith on you!
During the battle of Thermopylae, Zarsauthra fought well, but the spartans fought better. Their courage and their bravery stroke Zarsauthra like an arrow in the head. Why was he fighting these men? This was their home, a small piece of land, insignificant, with no natural resources. Why did the Persina empereor wanted these lands so badly? Was it right? Was it the will of the gods? Would the gods be so cruel? Or was it just the greed of a man, that knew nothing of the world outside the royal courts?
In this moment of doubt, the spartans surrounded Zarsauthra, and their accurate blows sent the Persian immortal to the ground. He died that day, and descended to the underworld. But his moment of enlightenment was worth it. Zarsauthra paid his debt with the world with more than two thousand years of punishment. He stand firm and determined, for when his torment was over, he unleashed from the chains of fire, and found his way out of the labyrinthine underworld.
It was now time to be a true hero, a true Immortal. No matter that these times were different (two thousand years were a lot of time) some things never change, like the struggle between evil and good.
The Persian will change the tides!

fireinthedust

Explorer
VV: okay, interesting. I like the 300 reference, though you might want to have him survive the battle so he's better than run-of-the-mill Spartans: he's the hero. Maybe he died of his wounds, or was betrayed or something.

1) How is he a super hero?
2) How is he alive and in the real world?
3) What is his tie-in to the JLA/his mentor?
4) What are his powers?

Shayuri: Good list. My first question:

1) what do you think would be fun to play? Like, actually play, not just make up/stat.
2) What would be the least amount of work for the GM?
3) What would be the most fun for the GM?

Shayuri

First Post
Great questions!

1) what do you think would be fun to play? Like, actually play, not just make up/stat.

- All would be fun. I didn't throw them out here just for statting purposes. :) But I think the photokinetic and gadgeteer are developing the best, characterwise, in my head so far. The mentalist is reminding me a lot of Raven though.

2) What would be the least amount of work for the GM?

- Probably the electrical controller. With the exception of his hacking ability, he has the fewest "GM's call" abilities. The others have things like illusions and so on, which require adjudication on the fly...and of course, gadgets always require player/GM collaboration.

3) What would be the most fun for the GM?

- Depends on what you consider fun! But I think the gadgeteer has arguably the best 'hook' so far. She's a rogue creation of Brainiac!

Voda Vosa

First Post
VV: okay, interesting. I like the 300 reference, though you might want to have him survive the battle so he's better than run-of-the-mill Spartans: he's the hero. Maybe he died of his wounds, or was betrayed or something.

1) How is he a super hero?
2) How is he alive and in the real world?
3) What is his tie-in to the JLA/his mentor?
4) What are his powers?

Yes he is the hero, but Superman would also die if he is pierced by 8 gladiuses. Plus, the fact that he "died" serves as the explanation as to why is he in the present world, and gets the feel of more a "supersoldier" than a "flying dude that punches people".

1) Well he is a Persian Immortal. He has mastered the art of the weapons and the body through hard training, meditation and rituals for the Persian Gods.

2) As a Persian Immortal he can't really die, he is sent to the underworld for failing the Gods. Once his debt is paid, he is free again. Zarsauthra walked the underworld, making his way slaying monstrosities and spirits, until he found the exit to the surface.

3) Really don't know, would appreciate suggestions.

4) Glad you asked. Here's his array in 2e.

The Persian Array: 10 ranks, 3 cost per rank (27 points for the array + 3 for each AP: 30 pp)
Weapon Master Array-----------------
> Sword (Strike) 8
>>EX: Penetrating, Autofire
>>PF: Split attack (3)

>Spear (Strike) 8
>>EX: Penetrating, secondary effect
>>PF: Thrown, Reach (2)

>Bow (Blast) 8
>>EX: Autofire
>>PF: Precise, Improved Range (2)

> Dance of the thousand knives 8
>>EX: Aura

------------------------------------

>Protection [Impervious] 6

>Shield 10

>Enhanced Strenght 12

>Superstrenght 1
>>Groundstrike 1
>>Shockwave 1

Walking Dad

First Post
It seems impossible for me to do a durlan like shapeshifter without a variable power :(

What I see as possibility is a themed shapeshifter (like beast boy/changeling) or an elastic hero that also contorts his form (more like Mr Fantastic than Plastic Man power-wise).

But both seem so much done, without a new twist... I fear to end up with just a less capable version of an established hero :(

Maybe a Durlan version of beast boy who primarily assumes the shapes of alien beasts that have some resemblance to earthly ones...

Sorry for thinking loud here :eek:

---

To add something useful:

Shayuri, if you choose the electrical controller, I would suggest Black Lightning as your mentor.

fireinthedust

Explorer
VV: Giving positive feedback, he's action-oriented. That should be fun.

Relevant Question: how is he Young Justice material? He's thousands of years old and already proven as a warrior many times over. The others in the group are 13-16, one of them is technically only a few months if that. How would you fit him into that group?

I ask because he's a fair dose of awesome that could just be in the League, not the sidekick squad. The theme is coming into their own, and stepping out of the shadow of their mentors.

EDIT: for example, is he a kid who channels the skills of the Persian? Is he the last descendant of the Persian's line, who inherited his ancestor's skills with a blade, as well as a magical blade and (say) a flying carpet? Was the original Persian a young lad, who was slain after refusing to attack the Spartans out of a sense of duty and honor; and after the Underworld, he never truly aged but was frozen in time?

The Underworld is a Greek concept, though, although I can see Sumerian influences (re: Gilgamesh). The Persian would necessarily be pre-Islam, then, so Muslim "isms" wouldn't be used for the character... especially considering he spent time in the actual pagan underworld run by Hades, and met the Greek gods firsthand.

Also: would you tie him in with as a mentor... who? Wonder Woman and the Amazons? They might have attacked the Spartans, though I can't see them allying with Xerxes during the 300. Maybe some debt they owed, thus allowing themselves to act as mercenaries. Thinking out loud, perhaps The Persian moved to save an Amazon, took those 8 swords to the gut/face/back, and died. Maybe he was reanimated by them due to some battle with Hades during this continuity's Wonder Woman Origin story a few years back?
Or maybe it was the League of Shadows who reanimated him to fight Batman, he failed, but befriended the Dark Knight.
Or his soul was sold by Hades in a trade and he was bounced around until Etrigan or Dr Fate saved him, deciding to use him to help the world.

Age is the issue, and his relative apprentice status.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Great suggestions. I have a few possible situations to converse with you then.
Things of note: The Persian lived during the 480 BC. He knows little of dealing “Non lethal” damage, if you catch my drift. His mind is that of a fanatic soldier. First he fought and killed for Xerxes, and now he intends to do that in the name of good and justice. Maybe this is the reason as to why he is with the Young Justice league. He has to learn how to be a hero and not a killer with good intentions. Perhaps he is “awesome” enough to be in the league, but not powerful enough. He’s a guy with archaic weapons, no flying, no superpowers. Although he might be wiser and more centered than most of the instable teenagers he has around, it would be a good thing for them I believe: Having a parental figure that will slice you in half if you don’t behave is as strong motivation as any.
Regarding the Underworld, it’s a concept that most ethnicities developed. Norse people, Egyptians, Sumerians, Greeks, you name it, they have their own version of the underworld.
What about this:
Instead of leading the attack on Thermopyla, Zarsusthra was charged with the mission of securing another stronghold of the greek, Paradise Island. Although the amazons wanted nothing to do with the world of men, the emperor Xerxes knew nothing about that, or just didn’t care: It was greek land, thus, it should now belong to him. Zarsusthra fought the amazons blablabla (Same story as with the Spartans) and was defeated in the end. In his fall he took the lives of many amazons and thus he was portrayed as the second most powerful enemy the amazons had defeated, after Heracles. When Wonder Woman found out about his resurrection, she tried to confront him and send him back to the underworld. But when she learned his heart had changed, she befriended the confused Persian, and sought to teach him the modern ways of Heroisms.

Shayuri

First Post
Here's what I have worked up so far...a full sheet for my weird nano-cyber-android-type-thing who is very much a work in progress in-character. I have all kinds of stuff I wanted to get that at PL8/120pts I am having to wait to develop. :)

Including a basic backstory that I'll flesh out shortly.

I'm still kind of torn between this and the photokinetic...but this one has the most room for future growth, so I'm starting with it.

[sblock=Echo]CODENAME: Echo
Concept/Archetype: Cyborg
Power Level: 8
Power Points: 120
Experience Points: 0
Hero Points: 1

ABILITIES 26
STR +0 (0 PP)
AGI +0 (0 PP)
DEX +2 (4 PP)
STA +2 (4 PP)
FGT +0 (0 PP)
INT +7 (14 PP)
AWE +2 (4 PP)
PRE +0 (0 PP)

SAVES (17pp)
TOUG 18 (2 Sta + 6 Power)
FORT 15 (3 Base + 2 Sta) (3 PP)
DODG 15 (5 Base + 0 Agi) (5 PP)
PARR 14 (4 Base + 0 Fgt) (4 PP)
WILL 17 (5 Base + 2 Awe) (5 PP)

Init: +0

ATTACK
Melee: Attack +3 (DC 14 Fort + DC 19 Toughness, Nano-Dissassembly)
Ranged: Attack +6 (DC 21, 100', +4 penetrating)

SKILLS 20 SP (10 PP)
Close Combat (Nano-Disassembly) +3
Expertise: Science +10 (3 ranks + 7 Int)
Investigation +10 (3 ranks + 7 Int)
Perception +8 (6 ranks + 2 Awe)
Technology +14 (5 ranks + 7 Int + 2 power)

MOVEMENT
Ground: 30' (or per Vehicle)

FEATS (4 PP)
Ranged Attacks 2
Inventor 1
Eidetic Memory 1

POWERS
Nanocyte Array 20pp
Nano-Disassembly - Weaken Toughness +4 (2pp/rnk, Affects Objects +1/rnk, Link, PF Accurate) 13pp
- Linked: Damage +4 (1pp/rnk, PF Accurate), 5pp
AP Assembly - Transform +6 (Raw Materials into Finished Objects, Continuous; 3pp/rnk) 1pp
AP Healing +6 (2pp/rank, Affects Objects +1/rnk) 1pp

Phased Offensive Array 19pp
Focused Laser - Damage +6 (Ranged, Penetrating (+4), PF Accurate) 17pp
AP HERF Gun - Nullify +5 (Broad (Technology), Simultaneous, Alt Defense (Dodge); 3pp/rnk) 1pp
AP Dazzle Laser - Affliction +5 (Visual, Ranged, Cumulative, PF Accurate; 3pp/rnk) 1pp

Not Arrayed 26pp
Protection +6 (1pp/rnk) 6pp
Immunity +4 (Age, Disease, Poison, Sleep) 4pp
Quickness +4 (Mental Only; .5pp/rnk) 2pp
Comprehend +2 (Machines), 4pp
Nanotools - Enhanced Skills (+2 to Technology) 1pp
Improvised Tools 1pp
Communication +1 (Radio, PF Rapid; 4pp/rnk) 5pp
Super Sense: Microscopic Vision +2, 2pp
Super Sense: +1 rnks Radio (Acute Ranged Radius) 1pp

DRAWBACKS
Vulnerable to Electrical Attacks (Minor, Uncommon) -1
Weakness to EMP (Minor, Uncommon, Instant) -1

COST
Abilities [26]
Saves [17]
Skills [10]
Feats [4]
Powers [65]
Drawbacks [-2]
Total [120]
Unspent [0][/sblock]

[sblock=Background Summary]At some point or another, Superman & Friends were alerted to the location of one of Brainiac's 'factory worlds.' An automated, fortified manufacturing and research complex hidden on a dead world far from anything interesting. Here robot factories churned out probes to search the cosmos for alien technology that their master had not already appropriated...and also, something else. In the research wing were a series of pods, in the process of self-destructing their contents in reaction to the invasion. They were able to stop the last one from successfully destroying its occupant. Inside was what appeared to be a teenage girl.

Though compassionate, the Justice League was not stupid. The girl was kept unconscious in isolation until a full analysis could be done. The results were startling. She was a fusion of organic and machine on a level never before seen. Every cell of her body was equipped with tiny, symbiotic machinery. She was technically a cyborg, but there were no implants, no surgeries. In her, flesh and machine were literally one.

By accessing the information they'd retrieved from the factories' computers, the League discovered several things. The girl was based on a clone of a rare individual who had the mental ability to interface with machinery...a 'technopath,' discovered, abducted and used as a source of genetic material by Brainiac. The technopathic power was necessary for such an intimate symbiosis of artificial parts...it kept the body from trying to reject the foreign bits, and subconsciously regulated the machinery to work in harmony with the body. The difficulty of this task prevented the 'Echo' series of clones from exercising their technopathy for anything else however. He had been experimenting with downloading information into their minds, with the eventual goal of transfering his consciousness into one. Thus far, the project had been unsuccessful though. Data; facts and figures, even skils, could be uploaded to the clones. But he had yet to find a way to 'override' the mind of one of them with his own mind without destroying the technopathic ability crucial to maintaining the inner balance.

In the meantime, the League found that the Echo they had rescued had recieved only a very limited set of data and skills in its download; no part of Brainiac was within her. With that in mind, they carefully allowed her to regain conciousness. After a short...she learned very quickly...adjustment period, she was deemed to be self-sufficient; but with nowhere else to go, she elected to join the new team forming under Batman's tutelage and become like the only people she had yet encountered; a superhero.[/sblock]

fireinthedust

Explorer
VV: I've given it a lot of thought, and I just can't see an adult with homicidal tendencies being partnered up with a group of teenagers; likewise, he can't be a mentor to them, as he needs a mentor himself.
It's a great character idea, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't fit this campaign. He needs to be a teenager, and I'm increasingly sure that he needs to be fairly 4-color good guy. I'm looking to do a straight superhero game without it veering off course; which it would if you played the concept properly (which I assume you would do a good job of playing him that way).

I'm looking for someone young, someone good, someone trying to prove themselves and find their place in the world. Also someone who's a real superhero; emphasis spandex and hero name. Try a different concept, maybe something more... campy? Fun? Or even just straightforward? Think capes, tights, masks. The fundamentals.

Shayuri: brief skim here. Mentor Superman, due to the Brainiac link?

Remove ads