• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

M60 style repeating large heavy crossbow help

Bub_the_zombie

First Post
Need help designing a m60 type automatic large heavy crossbow for a medium character. This is an m60 M60 machine gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it is the Vietnam era heavy machine gun carried by patrols.

I intend to use this on a warforged character of medium size, I know there is a penalty for the size increase, I am fine with that as the m60 was an awkward gun in the first place; but it destroyed anything it hit. However is there anyway around it? I find it appropriate to do a 2d6 damage for what it is.

Next how can I go about getting the large heavy crossbow to be automatic. I know there is the rapid reload feat that makes it a move action to load, and there is the quickloading magic ability that holds 100 bolts and does the same. Do these stack for heavy crossbows?

Or is there a magic weapon enchantment to up the damage dice? I figure as long as it is legit on paper and rules mechanics that how it physically looks is all flavor anyway.

Is there any other feats or abilities (core only no dragon magazine) I should also consider? Rapid reload, crossbow sniper, the one that adds 1/2 your Dex bonus to damage.

Lastly I was planning on fighter 8, wizard 1 (need wizard 1 for the character concept of warforged combat medic via repair light damage) any other suggestions like ranger fighting styles for crossbows or something of the like.

emoplato

First Post
Need help designing a m60 type automatic large heavy crossbow for a medium character. This is an m60 M60 machine gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it is the Vietnam era heavy machine gun carried by patrols.

I intend to use this on a warforged character of medium size, I know there is a penalty for the size increase, I am fine with that as the m60 was an awkward gun in the first place; but it destroyed anything it hit. However is there anyway around it? I find it appropriate to do a 2d6 damage for what it is.

Next how can I go about getting the large heavy crossbow to be automatic. I know there is the rapid reload feat that makes it a move action to load, and there is the quickloading magic ability that holds 100 bolts and does the same. Do these stack for heavy crossbows?

Or is there a magic weapon enchantment to up the damage dice? I figure as long as it is legit on paper and rules mechanics that how it physically looks is all flavor anyway.

Is there any other feats or abilities (core only no dragon magazine) I should also consider? Rapid reload, crossbow sniper, the one that adds 1/2 your Dex bonus to damage.

Lastly I was planning on fighter 8, wizard 1 (need wizard 1 for the character concept of warforged combat medic via repair light damage) any other suggestions like ranger fighting styles for crossbows or something of the like.
Collision(+2) from the Expanded Psionics is a solid damage increasing enchantment, +5 untyped bonus. Drow of the Underdark has the Hit and Run Alternative feature for Fighters. It trades your heavy armor and tower shield proficiencies for +2 untyped bonus to initiative and dex. bonus to damage against flat-footed opponents. I assume of course you wouldn't be using Targeteer from Dragon Magazine.
The Champions of Ruin is an excellent book for those looking to be ranged and sneaky. The spells worth of note is arrow split, dark flame, and shadow arrows. All these spells are cast as swift actions that bestow on to your arrows or bolts. Arrow split divides the arrow into 1d4+1 shots, with a splitting enchantment that is 4-10 arrows for one attack. Dark Flame arrow casts 2d6 untyped fire damage(no resistance or immunity) on top of the arrow that lasts for 3 rounds, non-extinguishable. Shadow arrow makes immaterial touch attack arrows that deal 1d6 strength damage a piece, no save.
You could look into a Ruby Knight Vindicator build advancing an Archivist instead giving you those spells as they are on a Ranger's list.

Remove ads