• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mac based mapping applications?

kobold

First Post
I'm looking for a "good" mapping program that will run on a Mac. Is Dunjini my only option? The samples I've seen of this application look great but I've some worries about it based on the Dunjini forums such as ownership change, lack of tangible updates, and inability to adjust scale and size of maps etc.
Your thoughts/ reviews of Dunjin or other mapping apps for Macs would be helpful.
Thanks,
Andy

RFisher

Explorer
The only thing I've yet found that serves for me is OpenOffice's drawing component. Far from ideal, but it gets the job done.

hexgrid

Explorer
On my older 12" Powerbook, Dundjini was so slow that it wasn't worth using, but on my newer MacBook it runs just fine.

There was a gap between trying it on the two separate computers, so I'm not sure if the OS X java implementation improved, if the Mac version of Dundjini improved, or if it was just the result of having a faster computer.

It's still a pretty clunky piece of software, but it does the job. Also, the default tileset leaves much to be desired, IMO. I get the best results by importing textures from my Worldworks and SKG pdfs (which, of course, I cannot legally share with anyone.)

FullTinCan

First Post
This sort of depends on what your needs are. Are you looking at running an online game? Or are you looking into having cool print outs for the table top? Or are you wanting something for professional purposes?

If you are planning on running a campaign online, you can use rptools.net and their free mapping tool. You can bring in existing images (either as a map, background image of a drawn shape, or an object). The tool itself is best suited for handling a battlemap. It uses Java and certainly has quite a bit of overhead, but I've used Dundjinni and must say I regret that purchase. Not that the software isn't good, its just not $40 better than rptools.net's free virtual-table-top mapper.

Now, if you are gaming exclusively face to face, then I would say Dundjinni is probably what you'll need.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
What kind of RPG mapping are you wanting to do. I'd love to get a good encounter-level mapper, but I get a lot of milage out of Illustrator and Photoshop for mapping nations/continents/cities. Most of that has come after developing my own techniques... not for the start-up mapper I admit.

kensanata

Explorer
Personally, I've started using paper & pen and a scanner to produce maps. Using the Gimp I then filter out shades of gray, stretch levels, and I'm done. Check out my recent examples (I've used the first two in recent weeks.)

Modoc

First Post
I use dundjinni on a PowerPC G5 and it works very well. It is not as cool as CC@ or the new CC3 but it is a great resource. have you tried the free demo?

Modoc

kobold

First Post
I'm looking for tabletop gaming mapping. I've used CC2 in the past and enjoyed it, and am looking for something similar to that. Dunjini seems the closest.

Remove ads