• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mac Users Identify Yourselves!

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
RCHagy: what's your problem? I can't decipher that post. What are you trying to do, what do you expect to have happen and what actually happens?

RC Hagy

Explorer
barsoomcore said:
RCHagy: what's your problem? I can't decipher that post. What are you trying to do, what do you expect to have happen and what actually happens?
Two issues.

A .dmg is on the Desktop. It is invisible though. It only becomes visible when Disk Copy is trying to mount the image.
The menu drops down, command-D, there she is on the Desktop.
I check the actual Desktop and its folder as well... nothing.

Both my optical drives refuse to burn. I get a message saying the disk does not have the space (though the disk is blank).
Three cds. Three brands (one being a cd which came with the G4).
Had no problem last year burning a disk in iTunes (which reminds me that I did not see if iTunes would still burn).
Disk Utility says both drives are read-only... which conflicts with the System Profiler.

Apples knowledge base could not help with either, either.

Heh, not much better than the first post unfortunately.

Hagy

releasethedogs

First Post
Arravis said:
I have a PC at home (would have a mac, but can't afford to have both), but at work... it's all Mac :). I work for NASA (at Marshall Space Flight Center) in the Graphics department and we have around 35 G4's with the big 23" Cinema Displays... :) :) :).
Drooool!

Dimwhit

Explorer
RC Hagy said:
A .dmg is on the Desktop. It is invisible though. It only becomes visible when Disk Copy is trying to mount the image.

Clarify this a bit. How do you know the .dmg is on the desktop? How are you mounting the image? Obviously not by double-clicking on its icon on the desktop. Going straight though Disk Copy (you mean Disk Utility, right?)? You sure the .dmg file isn't elsewhere on your hard drive?

That's the part not making sense to me.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Use the Find (command-F) command in the Finder. Under the "Search for items whose:" box, go to the "Add criteria" pop-up menu. Select "visiblity." To search for invisible files, select "off" or "invisible." When your search results come up, just drag the file from the window to the trash.

RC Hagy

Explorer
Mr. Jung got it for me (THANKEE!!!).

Anywho... I have Disk Copy and Disk Utility. DC for images and burning. Created the image. Saved to the Desktop. Nothin' there! Used the Finder to check the Desktop folder nothing. Just to make sure I hit the 'Mount' icon in DC. The menu pops down, I check the Desktop... there she was. Moved the menu to check the Desktop, nothing. Open a Finder window for the Desktop folder... nothing. Look at the DC mount menu... still there.

Very wierd.

Well the bugger is so much landfill now!

Thanks again, SJ for the tip. The rest for your replies.

Now to threaten my super and combo drives...

RC Hagy

Explorer
System Prefrences - cds/dvds

When you insert a blank cd/dvd... was set to 'ignore'.

Must have got click happy when disabling the auto start for music, photo and dvd discs.

All is good. Thanks again all.

Hagy
Vermont

Dimwhit

Explorer
So a little tip for all of you on OSX. Do a command-F and search for files over 1 GB in size. I just did it a couple days ago on my G5 and found a 29.4 GB log file! It's the 'KdbWatcher.crash.log' file. And it's already back up to 1 GB in size again! Anyone know much about that log file and why it gets so large so quickly?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads