• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mac Users Identify Yourselves!

Dimwhit

Explorer
Yeah, not everything is Aqua, but they've got some of it done. It's much more user-friendly than the standard OpenOffice.

My only concern with NeoOffice/OpenOffice is future compatibility. As Microsoft makes changes down the line, how quickly will OpenOffice be able to respond with compatibility?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Dimwhit said:
As Microsoft makes changes down the line, how quickly will OpenOffice be able to respond with compatibility?

Do you hold Microsoft to the same standard? In other words, do you find that Microsoft Office (current) is totally compatible with Microsoft Office (any old version)?

In my experience, Microsoft does a very poor job of maintaining forward or backward compatibility between its own products. So far, and in my (limited) experience, OpenOffice already does a better job.

-- N

drnuncheon

Explorer
...aaand for those of you who want a new Mac to run Dundjinni on, Steve Jobs has just announced a $500 "Mac Mini" at the MacWorld keynote - 1.25 GHz G4. Details at your favorite computer site.

J

Dimwhit

Explorer
I really like what I see with the Mac Mini. Unfortunately, it's just not quite enough computer for my needs. Particularly in the RAM department. But it's a sweet entry-level computer and should help with switchers. Since most switchers will already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, the mini has all they need.

I really liked the iPod Shuffle, too. I might get that for my wife for her birthday. The 512MB version would fit plenty of songs (more than 200), so it would be great for her workouts.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Yeah, these are cool products. I've got a monitor, keyboard and mouse for an aging G3 and for $500 that's pretty tempting.

iWork I think is the REAL big news. So we're abandoning Office for the Mac -- cause you can bet Microsoft has just stopped development on THAT product. Apple must be pretty confident they can meet or exceed user needs on Word with their product.

Which I'm not surprised they think they can do, but it's a telling sign, that's for sure. Apple's obviously willing to go head-to-head with Microsoft over this. The gloves are off now. Interesting...

buzz

Adventurer
barsoomcore said:
iWork I think is the REAL big news.
Glad I'm not the only who thought this. Pages looks pretty droolworthy. And the whole package is only $79! I look forward to "Cells" or whatever they're going to call the spreadsheet app that must eventually come out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads