• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Macguffin quest without a macguffin, how would you respond?

Would you be okay with a Macguffin quest with no Macguffin?

• Yes, I would be okay with it no matter what.

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Yes, I would be okay with it if it didn't make everything I'd done useless.

Votes: 79 79.8%
  • No, I wouldn't be okay with it no matter what.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I would have quit when I thought it was a Macguffin quest.

Votes: 3 3.0%

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Here's another way it could not suck:

Period of activity of YOAE is quite brief. However, YOAE's activity includes mass dominate or other mind-control techniques. So, each nation's army marches on each other nation, assuming that anyone opposing them must be controlled by YOAE.

The mistrust that has been sowed will grow into world-wide war. The PCs return from their fruitless MacGuffin quest in time to fight in, or perhaps stop, this war, which is the true blight.

Cheers, -- N

DrNilesCrane

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
While the Macguffin is generally thought to be the solution to defeating YOAE, that is not the only possible goal in the campaign. There are refugees to be protected (from YOAE and the elements), a realm to hold together (or overthrown depending on how the PCs feel about the current regent), threats from a rival culture which as yet has not suffered from YOAE and may be willing to come "help" them through their troubles, etc.

Just my two cents, but is it generally moer fun to build something, accomplish goals, and make forward progress than run a "holding action" to keep what they have or try just to survive? Would an oppressive, bleak environment would tread too much on the escapism "let's be heroes!" part of the game, especially if the MacGuffin were a red herring or couldn't defeat the enemy but simply allowed the characters to survive at best.

Also, if the PCs are trying to save the world right from the beginning, does that serve to help them role-play (assuming that is fun to you and them) or develop interpersonal relationships, goals outside adventuring, etc., or does that all get dropped since nothing trumps "save the world?" (If "save the world" doesn't become the goal to late in the campaign, it's much less an issue).

Remove ads