• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Mage Hand + Dinner Plate vs. Fireball

Say you know that an enemy mage has a wand of fireballs, and he's holed up atop a tower, ready to shoot anyone who comes toward him. You're 1st level, but you know mage hand, you've got a friend with a very high Perception bonus, and you just bought a stack of 50 dinner plates.

Would you think it feasible to use the minor telekinesis from the mage hand to try to fly a dinner plate into the incoming flaming bead of the fireball, to cause it to explode 25 feet away, far enough out that it won't hurt you? How hard should it be?

Starbuck_II

First Post
Say you know that an enemy mage has a wand of fireballs, and he's holed up atop a tower, ready to shoot anyone who comes toward him. You're 1st level, but you know mage hand, you've got a friend with a very high Perception bonus, and you just bought a stack of 50 dinner plates.

Would you think it feasible to use the minor telekinesis from the mage hand to try to fly a dinner plate into the incoming flaming bead of the fireball, to cause it to explode 25 feet away, far enough out that it won't hurt you? How hard should it be?

Touch Attack. I'd do Touch AC for Fireball at 10 + Caster's Int mod + size (bead is what Diminutive? so 4).
I can't use Dex since it'd not your Dex, but caster mod fits somehow.

Touch Attack. I'd do Touch AC for Fireball at 10 + Caster's Int mod + size (bead is what Diminutive? so 4).
I can't use Dex since it'd not your Dex, but caster mod fits somehow.

I was going to suggest a Spellcraft check but that is so much better. Don't forget a ranged modifier.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
The defender would need to ready an action, then I'd have him make a Reflex save to see if he reacts quickly enough. If he succeeds, he can make a ranged touch attack to interpose the plate vs AC = 10 + 8 size (fine) + caster's modifier.

Empirate

First Post
What if the caster on the tower sees you prepare? Then both have "readied actions", so it would come down to initiative, wouldn't it?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Technically you can't ready an action until you're in combat...

And if you both have readied actions, nothing would happen as nothing would trigger either readied actions

almagest

First Post
I'd allow it. AC of 18 (10 + 8 (tiny)), with range increment of 10, and -4 for improvised weapon (unless the PC has throw anything).

Remove ads