• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mage Knight 3D Dungeons - Cool

Melkor

Explorer
Gizzard said:

Well, each 2"x2" tile inherently contains four 1"x1" squares, right? So its not explicitly drawn out, but it should be pretty clear what is going on.

My worry is actually the opposite; that if I set up a 10' wide corridor with the walls in place, that the walls will take up just enough room that I cant fit two minis side-by-side.

Naturally - give me some credit with my math here. :)
My initial thought was to just take a ruler and a permanent marker and make a cross section of each floor tile, turning it into four squares....but then I realized that every door would then be 10' wide.

What about just saying that the 2" square is 5' - how bad does that throw off the scale when you look at the tiles with minis ?

I really like the Dwarven Forge stuff, and I have a good bit of money invested in it right now, but I would always be interested in a cheaper alternative.

blackshirt5

First Post
I'm definitely gonna have to pick some up, along with a few minis for the PCs and major NPCs(maybe I'll check out some Reaper stuff for the minis).

I saw these the other day in the comic shop though, they looked cool.

Wraithdrit

First Post
I don't think the each square being 5 feet would really work out well. Mainly the problem is that if you set a miniature with an inch base in a 2 inch square, its opponent in the next square visually looks like it is at range not base to base.

I think the each square is 10 ft will be fine, and its easy enough to look down and see what part of a square you are in to determine things in five feet increments, no magic marker would be required.

PatEllis15

First Post
Well, they are less expensive than Dwarven forge, but they look a little cheap, don't they?

Also, what would the cost be to have a full dungeon set up on your gaming table?

If your interested in 3d Dungeons, I can't urge you strongly enough to go take a look at www.hirstarts.com

Check out the modular dungeon that has done up... for about $100 bucks, you can make enough 3d dungeon to cover your gaming table twice!

Good luck!

Taro Sarask

Pat E

Wippit Guud

First Post
Wraithdrit said:
I don't think the each square being 5 feet would really work out well. Mainly the problem is that if you set a miniature with an inch base in a 2 inch square, its opponent in the next square visually looks like it is at range not base to base.

What if you just used Mage Knight figs then? Since they come with a 2in base, it shouldn't be an issue.

KnowTheToe

First Post
PatEllis15 said:
Well, they are less expensive than Dwarven forge, but they look a little cheap, don't they?

Also, what would the cost be to have a full dungeon set up on your gaming table?

If your interested in 3d Dungeons, I can't urge you strongly enough to go take a look at www.hirstarts.com

Check out the modular dungeon that has done up... for about $100 bucks, you can make enough 3d dungeon to cover your gaming table twice!

Good luck!

Taro Sarask

Pat E

These are cool, but the amount of time to build and paint them is huge.

Wraithdrit

First Post
Hirst Arts stuff takes WAAY too much time, IMO.
Dwarven Forge is wonderful, but expensive.
The MK 3D stuff comes prepainted, is not very expensive, and is really close to a good scale. So it just seems like a great compromise to me.

- Wraith

blackshirt5

First Post
KnowTheToe said:

These are cool, but the amount of time to build and paint them is huge.

That was the first thought that came to me when I saw those, Toe. I'd rather stick to getting the cheapo Mage Knights Dungeons and some Reaper and GW minis, painting them up, and running like that. Anything else I need(traps, weird new monsters, etc.) I'll just make from ordinary stuff.

-blackshirt5, who's shooting for the title of "Macguvyer"

Wraithdrit

First Post
Well the doors do not take up the entire wall.:D
Just think of them as 6 foot doors centered on the 10 foot wall. Or just don't buy them. Sheesh. No one is makin' ya!:D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads