• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mage Knight Conversions (Golems)

Sarelth

Explorer
The following are not 3.5 currently, perhaps in the future they will be upgraded.

I started with the 3 Golems that I use in my Mage Knight army. I want to get more for my army of course, and when I do I will convert them as well, though I may do so before I get them anyways. I was hopipng to at one point make a Mage Knight Netbook, but I do not think I could have any chance of doing that on my own.

Here are the first 3 Golems I Converted, they include the Brass Golem and Blade Golem, both used by the Atlantian faction and the Steam Golem used by the Black Powder Rebels.

=========================

The Brass Golem
Medium-size Construct

HD: 7d10 (38 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft
AC: 17 (+7 Natural Armor)
Attacks: 2 Slam +7 (melee)
Damage: Slam 2d6+3
Face/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: none
Special Qualities: Construct, Battle Armor.
Saves: Fort +2, Refl +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 10, Con -, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: None
Feats: None
Climate/Terrain: Any Land
Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4)
CR: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral (Always)
Advancement Range: 8-14 HD (Medium-size), 15-21 HD (Large)

Brass Golem's are the fore front of the Atlantis Guild's Armies. The are especially fast, but the can take a few good hits. Standing 7 feet tall when fully erect, the Brass Golem can be an imposing sight, especially when a group of 4 come running at you. The light reflecting off the polished brass of the construct. Brass Golems are not smart by any means, but they can follow basic orders given by their commander, who is typically a Technomancer, or some other Magic user from the Atlantic Guild.

Brass Golem's use Mage Stones as power sources like most of the Atlantis Guilds Construct armies as well as their other devices.

Brass Golem's speak no language, but understand Atlantean and Common. Being Constructs they do not need food, though they go through Mage Stones every so often, the Typical Mage Stone will last 2-4 years before needing to be replaced.

Combat: Brass Golem's attack with the massive fists, slamming the opponent into the ground. Brass Golem's get no penalties for attacking with each hand in combat. Tactics is not truelly a word to describe the Brass Golem in combat, they simply go in hit the target with all they can and move on the the next target when they finish off the first.

Special Qualities:
-Construct -
Constructs are immune to mind-influencing effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)and to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromantic effects. Constructs are not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain.They are immune to anything that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects).Constructs are not at risk of death from massive damage (see Injury and Death in Chapter 8:Combat in the Player's Handbook ), but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, they are immediately destroyed. Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected . Constructs have darkvision with a range of 60 feet.
-Battle Armor - The Atlantian Brass Golem gets +4 to it's AC vs ranged attacks.

Blade Golem
Large Construct

HD: 9d10 (45 hp)
Initiative: 0
Speed: 40 ft
AC: 16 (+7 Natural Armor, -1 Size)
Attacks: Sword Arm +11 (melee), Saw Arm +11 Melee
Damage: Sword Arm 2d8+5, Saw Arm 2d6+5/round.
Face/Reach: 5 ft x 5 ft/10 ft
Special Attacks: Saw Through
Special Qualities: Construct, Damage Reduction 5/-.
Saves: Fort +3, Refl +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 14, Con -, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 1
CR: 9
Advancement Range: 13-17 HD (Large), 18-21 HD (Huge)

Another creation of the Atlantis Guild, Blade Golems are dangerous opponents, with both their weapon arms they can tear through their enemies. Made exclusively to fight the Golems know nothing else. They follow orders almost to the letter, only passing from their tasks to be rid of enemies that come near. Though they can not speak, they do understand Atlantian and Common. They will attack anything that attempts to speak to them in any other language.

Blade Golems, like most Atlantian golems are made of an alloy of Brass and Adamantite. This alloy is not as susceptable to rust as most metals, though they still can be effected, they get a +1 to all saves vs rusting.

Combat: Blade Golem's attack with a massive Sword on one arm and the large buzz saw blade on the other. Blade Golem's get no penalties for attacking with either hand in combat, They can attack with both on any given round, though if they are using the Saw to cut through something or someone, they may not attack with anything else.
The Critical Threat range for the Sword arm is 19-20/x2. The Critical Threat Range for the Saw Blade is 17-20/x4.

Special Attacks:
-Saw Through (ex)- Once per round, as a Standard action, a Blade Golem can initiate a Saw attack meant to cut through an opponents defense, literally. This attack doubles the already impressive critical range of the Saw Arm and deals continuous damage as long as the golem continues the attack. If the attack does half the targets total hp the target must make a Fortitude Save (DC 18) or die and be cut completely in half.

Special Qualities:
-Construct - Constructs are immune to mind-influencing effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)and to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromantic effects. Constructs are not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain.They are immune to anything that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects).Constructs are not at risk of death from massive damage (see Injury and Death in Chapter 8:Combat in the Player's Handbook ), but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, they are immediately destroyed. Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected . Constructs have darkvision with a range of 60 feet.
-Damage Reduction - 5/-, Blade Golem's are very tough, they shrug off most damage, though magical attacks deal full damage.

Construction:
The creation of a Blade Golem requires a Laboratory, this Lab costs 500gp to establish, plus 100 gp per month to keep up to date and fully supplied, this lab can be used for other golems.
The actual body of the Golem requires 900 pounds of Brass and 600 pounds of Adamantine. The cost for the Golem is 75000gp for the body, and materials. Crafting the Body requires a Successful Craft (Metal Working) check (DC 18) for the body and Craft (Metal Working) (DC 20) for the Power Core.
The Ritual requires a 16th level caster, with either divine or arcane spells. Completing the ritual drains 1400 xp from the creator and requires Animate object, and Limited Wish or Miracle.

Steam Golem
Large Construct

HD: 13d10 (65 hp)
Initiative: 0
Speed: 40 ft
AC: 18 (+9 Natural Armor, -1 Size)
Attacks: Sword Arm +16 (melee) or Steam Cannon +9 Ranged
Damage: Sword 2d8+7, Steam Cannon 4d6
Face/Reach: 5 ft/10 ft
Special Attacks: Steam Blast
Special Qualities: Construct, Damage Reduction 5/-.
Saves: Fort +4, Refl +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 10, Con -, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 1
CR: 10
Advancement Range: 13-17 HD (Large), 18-21 HD (Huge)

Steam Golems are the creation of a Dwarven Engineer, who was experimenting with steam powered machines, one of his creations was seen by a mage who wished to have a non-standard type of Golem. After some experiments of his own, he was able to enchant the Golem to obey commands and it even helped repell a attack by the Atlantis Guild. Seeing how usefull the construct was the mage created a few more, selling them to the Black Powder rebels, since the Golem did not require Magestones to function, they were much easier to keep running.

Steam Golems are made of an alloy of Steel and Mithral. So as to slow down rust, which they tend to attract. The outer body of teh Golem is mostly rounded with a large steam vent

Steam Golem's speak no language, but understand Common. As golems they do not eat, sleep or rest. They need only to get the occassional repair job done, whether due to wear or combat.

Combat: Steam Golem's attack with a massive Sword on one arm or a huge cannon on the other. Steam Golem's get no penalties for attacking with either hand in combat, but can only use one per round. The only tactics Steam Golems use in combat consist of, Fire at enemies far away and slice enemies nearby. The Steam Cannon the Golem uses fires a large cannon ball, these cannon balls can be fired every other round. The Golem scavenges metal from the battlefield after combat is complete to replenish the cannon balls. The Golem can store up to 10 Cannon balls at a time inside the furnace which powers it. It takes 10 minutes to reform a new cannon ball once enough metal is scavenged. The range of the Steam Cannon is incremented by 150'.
The Critical Threat range for the Sword arm is 19-20/x2. Though it is slightly larger than a normal sword there is no real difference, besides the increased damage.

Special Attacks:
-Steam Blast (ex)-[/b] Once per round, as a Standard action, a Steam Golem can cause a blast of steam to jet out off itself, causing all enemies within 10' of the Golem to take 6d6 Fire/Steam damage (Reflex Save, DC 15 for half).

Special Qualities:
-Construct - Constructs are immune to mind-influencing effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects)and to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromantic effects. Constructs are not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain.They are immune to anything that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects).Constructs are not at risk of death from massive damage (see Injury and Death in Chapter 8:Combat in the Player's Handbook ), but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, they are immediately destroyed. Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected . Constructs have darkvision with a range of 60 feet.
-Damage Reduction - 5/-, Steam Golem's are very tough, they shrug off most damage, though magical attacks deal full damage.

Construction:
The creation of a Steam Gole requires a Laboratory, this Lab costs 500gp to establish, plus 100 gp per month to keep up to date and fully supplied.
The actual body of the Golem requires 700 punds of steel and 300 pounds of Mithral. The cost for the Golem is 55000gp for the body, and materials. Crafting the Body requires a Successful Craft (Metal Working) check (DC 15) for the body and Craft (Steamworks) (DC 20) for the Engine.
The Ritual requires a 14th level caster, with either divine or arcane spells. Completing the ritual drains 1100 xp from the creator and requires Animate object, Control Water, Heat Metal and Limited Wish.

==========

Comments welcome, tips welcome also. I hope that these make some party of adventurers take a step back and wonder or even better, make a party of players have to roll new characters. :)

wangka

First Post
Great job!

As a fan of MK and D&D, I heartily applaud your efforts! I am hoping to use many of my spare MK figure, after I rebase them, in my D&D games. While many of the Heroes, humans, elfs, and orcs are fairly easily translated (for those unfamiliar with MK, check out the awesome new heroes from Dragon's Gate and the latest expansions; cheap decent qualty pre-painted minis!), many figures are less easily translated into D20 terms.

I think you've done a great job with the translation and fleshing out details. Since it looks like you're trying to maintain the flavor and characteristics of each figure, I thought I'd suggest some minor mods:

-I always concieved of brass golems as fairly slow. They have a move of 6" which probably translates into about 20'. Dwarves in MK generally have a move of 6" as well, with most humans and their ilk with a move of 8". So I would loosely convert 6" as 20', 8" as 30', 10" as 40' and so forth.
-Did you mean for the blade golem to have battle armor as well? (Perhaps a +2 to +4 deflection bonus?) Although I do think the DR for the blade might make more sense, but the toughness for the steam golem should perhaps be higher (given SA Toughness); either 10/- or 10/magical, which may make in more in line with iron golems.

Cool job! I can't wait to see more!

Sarelth

Explorer
-I always concieved of brass golems as fairly slow. They have a move of 6" which probably translates into about 20'. Dwarves in MK generally have a move of 6" as well, with most humans and their ilk with a move of 8". So I would loosely convert 6" as 20', 8" as 30', 10" as 40' and so forth.

I agree that the Brass golems were fairly slow. I am not sure why I chose the speeds I did however. I was thinking the same thing as you 6" = 20', etc. I must have not updated the file when I fixed that. Hmm, gonna fix it now though. :)

-Did you mean for the blade golem to have battle armor as well? (Perhaps a +2 to +4 deflection bonus?) Although I do think the DR for the blade might make more sense, but the toughness for the steam golem should perhaps be higher (given SA Toughness); either 10/- or 10/magical, which may make in more in line with iron golems.

A DR of 5 is fairly hefty as it is, think of what most weapons deal for damage, not many will bypass a DR 5. I may have to improve the Steam Golem's a little, I think DR 7 would be better, 10 seems a bit high to me, but I may just go with it as it is a nice even number. Or perhaps I can simply add an additional DR 5/magical.

As to the battle Armor, Yes, I meant to add Battle Armor to the Blade Golem as well, It must have just slipped my mind. I am thinking of adding a slight DR (maybe a 1 or 2) to the Brass Golem also, not because the MK fig had it (It doesn't obviously), but for flavor. The Idea of a Golem to me means it can take a lot of punishment, my Brass golem certainly does in games.

Remove ads