• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mage test help

Red Viper

First Post
I'm running forgotten realms campaigne with a Dragonlance twist in it since i have included the towers of high sorcery. Now it is time to give the lvl3 wizard in the group his test. There are several parts to the test:
rest areas- area for the mage

Battle-Straight forward battle/confrontation with foe

Hazard-Unexpected danger that requires quick thinking and possibly creative use of magic to get past

Duel Areas- A duel with another spell caster

Magic areas areas where magic will be solved easier by magi and spell casting

I need varying amounts of difficulty for each part of the test. There are a total of 26 possible sections to the test of any combination.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Red Viper said:
I'm running forgotten realms campaigne with a Dragonlance twist in it since i have included the towers of high sorcery. Now it is time to give the lvl3 wizard in the group his test. There are several parts to the test:
rest areas- area for the mage

Battle-Straight forward battle/confrontation with foe

Hazard-Unexpected danger that requires quick thinking and possibly creative use of magic to get past

Duel Areas- A duel with another spell caster

Magic areas areas where magic will be solved easier by magi and spell casting

I need varying amounts of difficulty for each part of the test. There are a total of 26 possible sections to the test of any combination.

I think it would really worry the crap out of your wizard if he came to the test expecting some sort of physical contest or riddle, and was instead told to:

"Express, in 4000 words or less, your views of hornungs theories of thaumatalurgical instability of probability. Include references"

'cause that's what I'd expect advanced magical colleges (ie - colleges accepting applicants of wizard level 1+) to do. First run through a drill of all the standard low-level magics and write an essay. Possibly even submit one spell of your own design for criticism.

It's kind of bizarre how all these magical colleges seem to exist purely to train adventurers...

Slife

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
I think it would really worry the crap out of your wizard if he came to the test expecting some sort of physical contest or riddle, and was instead told to:

"Express, in 4000 words or less, your views of hornungs theories of thaumatalurgical instability of probability. Include references"
Wasn't that in the first Harry Potter book... Some rumour of the sorting working through wrestling a troll. Then it's just a +2 Very Rotted Intelligent Hat of Insight that does all the work. What a gyp.

Remove ads