• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mages VS Sorcerers

Mages vs Sorcerers

• A mage's spells,abilities

Votes: 47 66.2%
  • A sorceror's spells,abilities

Votes: 24 33.8%

Jackfrost

First Post
I'm about to make a guy and i really LOVE spellcasting! Which is better? I read about both and they seem tricky. I mean which ends up being more powerful, or who ends up being physically stronger. Which you pick?

Rashak Mani

First Post
This poll doesnt follow the standard "Other response" procedure !!

Overall I think each has its own merit (a poll option you left out) but Sorceror are more fun in my opinion.

333 Dave

First Post
Nitpick: There is no Mage class, its Wizards and Sorcerers. I personally use the term Mage to refer to either of the two classes.

333 Dave

First Post
That said I like wizards better, they seem more arcane and less "I casts the spells that makes people falls down" :D.

Jackfrost

First Post
I want him to be able to withhold the dungeon and be able to cast spells. I am trying to find taht character that uses his dragon blood to his advantage... multiclass but i don't know what to multi class.. From what i have read I think i like a sorcerer now but still it seems weak. Divine over arcane... which would be better..

Oni

First Post
Well I basically think of the sorcerer as the arcane version of the fighter, and the wizard the arcane version of the thief. the difference being one is really primarily a battle mage, and the other a problem solver. If your not much for forethought and like to just rush in and tackle things head on then your probably benefit more from the sorcerer. If you prefer to bide your time and plan ahead and try to be very clever about the way you go about things you'll probably get more out of the wizard.

333 Dave said:
That said I like wizards better, they seem more arcane and less "I casts the spells that makes people falls down" :D.

:D THis nearly caused me to explode laughing!

However, having played a socerer and a mage, I find the mage more intresting, as socerers do tend to be "KILL!" ie lots of fireballs less of anything else.

However if the slaughter of you foes is good, check this thread

http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?threadid=5574&goto=newpost

which features a uber-sorc and my stupid comments ;-)

Last edited:

arcseed

First Post
I haven't played or seen a wizard played in 3e. But sorcerors seem very limited to me, and not very fun to play. They are, probably, more powerful in a heavily combat oriented campaign (except at level 5), but that power comes at the cost of an enormous amount of versatility.

My players are the sort who like to plan things out in advance, and the sorceror in my campaign, I think, is kinda wishing he'd gone with a wizard, so he'd be able to contribute more to the evil plans than dealing damage and the occasional invisibility.

jollyninja

First Post
*warning: what follows is an example of what is called "min/maxing" or "munchkinism"*
I tend to use sorcerors if I want my multiclass character to have some low level magical ability or if the dm is really picky about spellbooks, carrying capacity and page counts (books are heavy, wizards are not usually all that strong). you know, invisibility, and magic detection for my rogue, bulls strength for my warrior guy, that sort of thing. if i just want the magical power, i go wizard because you get the spells faster and your casting attribute also gives you more skill points for things like concentration and spellcraft. Also, take the mind over body feat for the love of god. also, i find that whatever spells i pick with a sorceror, they will not be the ones i need, i like versatility and situational customizability. I am the sort of guy who has five different spell lists prepared for my wizard depending on the area he is in and the expectations he has for the day (urban, forrest, mountain, underground, and generic guaranteed heavy combat)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads