• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Mageslaying" weapon ability - this looks freaky..

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Dr. Awkward said:
Oh come now, the Formians are always trying to take over not just the world, but the multiverse. Because once we're all slaves to the formian masters all our cares and woes will be eliminated as we serve the common good. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Lawful. Neutral. Freaky.
Ok, I get formians. Partly because what they're doing will genuinely have some benefits for whatever plane is being invaded.

Now explain how a slaadi invasion where everyone dies horribly as spawn erupt from their chests, or a terrible disease transmutes them qualifies as good?

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
I think it is. I've met DMs who think that the most appropriate action for a chaotic good creature who suspects someone of pilfering some fruit (with no actual evidence) is to kill them and then maybe consider asking questions about it, or have animals fight to the death instead of retreating.

Or have a neutral force of outsiders attempt to invade the world and turn everyone into their spawn, without even considering that, just maybe, this isn't a neutral act.

Strange DM's... strange times.

As for the Slaadir - there's alot of possibilities - say it's very much necessary for the Slaadi in order to prevent Limbo from freezing over, to right an imbalance (even if only perceived ) of order vs chaos, defending or establishing a foothold in the prime material plane, fleeing from some greater force of chaos or another faction (?) of Slaadi.
With the prime's population getting in the way or fighting back in ignorance of the true reasons - while the slaadi don't actually care what happens to these other prime-material races or care for their eventual fates (so they aren't "good" in their outlook), but don't actually wish them woe or want to exterminate them except in self-defense or to ensure their own survival and interests, so they aren't malevoelently evil, either. While they might infect mortals and thus create new spawn, this might even happen to protect themselves (and their unwilling breeding races) from whoever is following them, fighting them or in order to simply restore the "great balance of things".

Voila a non-evil "invasion" which might still be detriminal to the adventurer's side of the fight. I would certainly love a "magebane" weapon in my character's hands if this scenario occured .

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
As i told beforehand, it all depends on the style of your campaign.
Same thing with holy and the like.
I definetly rule it as an +3 enchantment in mine. If and only if one anyone ever gets a hand on such a thing.
Because in my oppinion every artificing mage will think twice before creating a self-bane weapon and thus they will occur on less than rare occations.

uzagi_akimbo said:
Strange DM's... strange times.

I would certainly love a "magebane" weapon in my character's hands if this scenario occured .

Yes I assumed so Uzagi. Now what?
I guess that limbo "freezing over" is more likely to occur.
Sorry Pal.

Sue "Not-so-evil-in-alignment-but-nevertheless-malign-to-the-PC's" Bloodbucket

hong

WotC's bitch
IMO it's fairly obvious that the only reason magebane includes "arcane spell-like abilities" is so that warlocks will also be affected. Which is another reason to ban warlocks.

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
hong said:
IMO it's fairly obvious that the only reason magebane includes "arcane spell-like abilities" is so that warlocks will also be affected. Which is another reason to ban warlocks.

so why don't they simply name them "invocations"? That would be too easy i guess...

And would prevent us from posting questions instead of working our way throug "lee groups" and "non desarguesish hyperplanes"

greetings from
Sue "should-be-doing-math-now" Bloodbucket

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads