• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic and equipment

Diomeneus

First Post
I realize that I can buy magical shields under the arms slot category... but is the ability to simply make a shield magical as to enhance AC (and possibly reflex) not exist in 4th?

mattdm

First Post
I realize that I can buy magical shields under the arms slot category... but is the ability to simply make a shield magical as to enhance AC (and possibly reflex) not exist in 4th?

Right. This is one of the things I was considering banning from my 3.5E game anyway. It falls under the math-spinning-out-of-control category: at mid/high levels (15 or so, let alone way up at 20) characters who spend their resources (ability score enhancements, feats, and magic items) on a particular defense (AC, in this case) or offense can end more than a d20 roll better than other members of the same party who focused on something else. So, in order to have a monster with a chance of hitting the fighter, I have to make one which will absolutely smash the wizard into pulp if he gets near.

So it's a good thing.

DracoSuave

First Post

Nope, Shields do not get enhancement bonuses to AC, and the system's math is balanced around that fact.

Diomeneus

First Post
Alright thanks, that I can understand the shield bit but I'm still mortified at what they have done to two weapon fighting and two handed fighting... +1 damage? ...yay...

gimme back my 50%!!!!

SJay

First Post
Alright thanks, that I can understand the shield bit but I'm still mortified at what they have done to two weapon fighting and two handed fighting... +1 damage? ...yay...

gimme back my 50%!!!!

Heh, about the two handed fighting...

I thought the same thing at first, though I think I'm used to it by now.

Even the +1 damage is only with some one-handed weapons...

Thing that got me was no summoned monsters in 4th ed; when they were saying you just make a character concept and you'll be able to build a character around that, I was like AWESOME! I'll be a Necromancer of some sought, or failing that, some sought of summoner or other. Oh well...

Colmarr

First Post
Oh, there will be summoning of some sort sooner or later. The Bags of Tricks from Adventurers Vault show that WotC is thinking about the summoning paradigm. They probably just wanted to handle the simpler concepts first.

Remove ads