• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

magic and physics? do they mix?

Kranton Zo`erth

First Post
Another idea.

What level do you think a revamped tenser's floating disk would be?
one thatmakes the 3ft height limit say....20ft? and possibly makes it about 5' across rather than 3?

it is one of my more prominent utility spells...i just need to guage how high it needs to be to do what i need done with it....

it winds up being a stretcher for the dwarf in the party alot...and its hard to climb with the thing.....we were in trees for a bit of the campaign.

thanks for the input in advance.

Kranton Zo`erth

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Kranton Zo`erth said:
Gust of wind falls under evocation, which means to call forth(summon) something from nothing.....
Actually, evocations usually create energy from nothing; if you want to create matter, you need to be using a conjuration. Look at fireball, evard's black tentacles (force tentacles), Otiluke's resilient sphere, and magic missile as other examples.

My general rule is this:

No Magic Bullets. If a character tries to use a spell in a way that makes it significantly more powerful than normal, and this use can occur in a significant number of battles, then I tend to look very unfavorably on it. No carrying around 1000 cubic feet of stone in a portable hole just so you can cast Animate Object on it to get, basically, a stone golem in every battle; I'm going to look very hard for a technicality on which to nix this spell usage.

Occasional Cool Effect rock. If someone thinks of a unique way to apply a spell to the peculiar circumstances of the moment, I'm pretty happy. If you want to use a burning hands to burn away the grease that an opponent just cast on the fighter's sword--well, that's great. Or if you face an invisible opponent and want to use Gust of Wind to stir up a cloud of dust which will reveal the opponent's location, then I'm very likely to find a way to make that work.

Overall, my goal is to encourage creative in-game uses of magic, but to discourage powergame solutions that get used over and over.

Daniel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads