D&D 5E Magic armor and harvesting creatures

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I suggested that any HotDQ group that destroyed the Dragon Hatchery eggs should be able to harvest components for future spells. Nothing complicated, stuff like:
"You have 2d4 reagents that allow max damage on a spell. They are consumed when so used."
"Your reagents allow you to re-roll any spell-related d20 roll of 10 or less. The reagent is consumed when so used."
"You harvest the eyes, each of which can be used as the Component for a single casting of Arcane Eye."
"You get enough teeth and claws to make a matching set of Daggers for every member of your group."
"You can sell the prostygum (an organ) for 10 GP in any large city."
"If you make the hides into armor, they count as Leather Armor not Dragon Scale Armor; however any dragon you meet will recognize their immature nature and treat you as a baby-killer."

My own character wanted to make a footstool out of one skeleton (and magic it up: perk up, scan the room, and settle back to sleep when somebody walked in), but I didn't join until Balder's Gate. Alas.

Coroc

Hero
Do you know of any 5E-compatible effort to list armor made out of dragonscale, behir or umber hulk plating, and the like?

I really wished the monster manual entries contained examples of what parts you could usefully harvest: such as "a DC 12 check to make the equivalence of Half-Plate out of this defeated Ankheg" or "a DC 17 check to pickle the eyes of this Beholder, which gives one-time use of Fireball"

and so on...

I'm asking if you know of any good homebrew of harvested monster parts in general and "monster armor" in particular? :)

The armor parts you may harvest should be dependant on the CR and rareness of the creature in what qualities might be produced from them.

In general I would not focus so much on armor with + to armor class for these special armors but rather normal armor maybe with a +1 at most giving some kind of resistance or another property.

Beware of the 5E high armor class problem. It is one of the things you do not want your players to achieve easy, whereas a red dragon scale mail acting as a scale mail +1 giving fire resistance is no prob at all.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't have much to add to this but an early morning tired mind. I saw this thread in the "New Posts" section, but it cut off the last word of the thread title and I thought, "I have to look at this thread." Before I did, though, I took a quick scan down the New Posts section just in case Magic Weapons and Picking Fruit was there somewhere.

Remove ads