• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Clothes

Is there any good reason that a wizard character who has 5 or more ranks in Craft (tailoring) and the Craft Wondrous Arms and Armor feat could not add enhancement bonuses and armor special abilities to a suit of normal clothing (Armor Bonus +0)? After all, she could add them to padded armor, which "features quilted layers of cloth and batting" and so is really just clothes...

kreynolds

First Post
Just to save time, dcollins says...

You can't have it!

However, for my answer, I'd say that's a good idea. Adding an armor bonus to a shirt is basically the same concept of bracers of armor. A shirt of armor, or a robe of armor for that matter, would cost the same as a pair of bracers.

Last edited:

officeronin

First Post
I'll add "no". Otherwise, the wizard enchants the shirt to +1 with 100% reinforcement. Sure -- it doesn't stack with his +6 Bracers, but he laughs at the rogue.

OfficeRonin

Zhure

First Post
yeah, stupid wizard thinking of using his class abilities to negate someone else's class abilities! And it only costs him 18,000 gold and 1440 XP! Why, with that sort of mentality, the stupid barbarian will be asking to negate the Rogue's sneak attack for FREE! Why, it'd never end!

Of course I'd allow it.

Besides, the wizard can already do the same thing with Padded Armor. It's only a 5% spell failure and even +1 AC better than the enchanted shirt.

Greg

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
I'd permit it, but wouldn't the wizard need the Craft Arms and Armor feat instead, since its an enchantment bonus to armor (even tho the clothes themselves do not protect in any way). I am asking this because of the Magical Vestment spell, which grants bigger bonuses to magic armor. The spell works on clothes, which are considered armor that give no actual armor bonus..

Maitre D

kreynolds

First Post
Maitre Du Donjon said:
...but wouldn't the wizard need the Craft Arms and Armor feat instead...

I'd say no (and I don't think you do anyways). Bracers or Armor only require Craft Wondrous Item.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
kreynolds said:

I'd say no (and I don't think you do anyways). Bracers or Armor only require Craft Wondrous Item.

yeah, i wasn't convinced myself. Like i said, it was because i read the effect of the Magical Vestment spell...

Maitre D

kreynolds

First Post
officeronin said:
Otherwise, the wizard enchants the shirt to +1 with 100% reinforcement.

Do you mean "fortification"? What's the problem with that? He would end up spending 24,500gp making it and he would use up 1,960 XP. No small price there.

EDIT: Doh! Price is off. Zhure's is correct.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads