• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Magic] Elder Dragon Highlander

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Elder Dragon Highlander (EDH) is a casual variant of normal Magic: The Gathering rules.

The rules differ from the usual MtG rules in the following ways (nutshell-version):
  • Deck must consist of exactly 100 cards (including the General).
  • Except for basic lands, you can only have one copy of each card.
  • One legendary creature in your deck is designated as General
  • The deck must not contain any cards with mana symbols not printed in the mana costs of the General.
  • You set the General aside before the game.
  • The General can be played as if it were in your hand.
  • If the General dies, you can choose to set him aside again, in this case playing him again costs +2 colourless mana more (that's cumulative, if you're killing him repeatedly).

That's basically it. Since the deck is much larger and less consistent due to the lack of duplicates, the gameplay is much less predictable and usually slower - combos are much harder to be done and require either a) more luck or b) more planning.

Add in that you can potentially re-utilize all your old cards, have more room to play favourites, and only need single cards, that makes it a fun and casual format, where you can play much slower things.

For more information, visit these links:
Elder Dragon Highlander Rules - Semiofficial Page - also contains a list of banned cards
Wizards.com Article about EDH

I know that some groups have some additional rules to add to these base rules. In our group, for example, we allow the new-fangled Hybrid Mana to count as whatever is more beneficial for inclusion in your deck (i.e. you can put a blue-green hybrid card into a deck with a red-blue general, but the card would then count as pure blue card).

Cheers, LT.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
We've done something similar before and recently heard the term "highlander deck" to describe them for the first time.

Back as an undergrad we used to play a lot of Emperor and Two-headed giant games. . , and once this very fun rainbow game. I want to do that again.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Back as an undergrad we used to play a lot of Emperor and Two-headed giant games. . , and once this very fun rainbow game. I want to do that again.
Yeah, these "casual" formats are a heap of fun. I simply don't have the time, nor money, nor energy to keep playing any of the current formats, so I just want to play with my friends occasionally, and sometimes get to these pre-releases once in a blue moon.

EDH is pretty much perfect for that: I have one huge deck, and if I get some new cards, I just select the best of them and try to stuff them into my EDH deck. And then get playing with my friends.

We've played Two-headed giants... but Highlander is much more fun, as it's much less predictable. And the big general... it's just satisfying to play these big, over-costed legendary critters! ;)

Cheers, LT.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I have SUCH a hankering to play EDH. I've always enjoyed weird casual formats, and this sounds right up my alley.

Remove ads