Magic Fang Question

Mean DM

Explorer
SpikeyFreak said:
The word "type" is no where in the spell description..."

Point taken, but I think it is implied nonetheless. So how would you handle a druid who casts fang on his/her fists and then wildshaped to a bear. So what say you One Heck of a Adaptable Name Spikey:)?

Mean DM

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
--One Clawed Spikey [/B]

What if you cast Magic Fang on a raven? It's single natural weapon is "Claws".

Then you turn it into a cat. The cat's claws are now two natural weapons. Would they both be Fanged?

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hypersmurf said:

Then you turn it into a cat. The cat's claws are now two natural weapons. Would they both be Fanged?

DM Mode on

IMC, you cast it on a single natural weapon; when you shift, the enchantment goes to the single best new target or is simply saved (if there are no remainign slots). A raven would get +1 with its claws, then +1 on a single claw if changed into a cat, then on its unarmed strike (whether punch, kick, or headbutt) if a human. This is the ruling used for my personal camopaign.

DM Mode off

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.
I would rule that you could choose a claw to be enchanted. Both would NOT be enchanted were I making the decision.

--Morphic Spikey

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.

If it were me, I'd restrain the urge to whifflebat the annoying player, and rule that only one of the raven's claws was magic fanged, and consequently half of its "claws" attack was magical. For magic fang, this means that it does +0.5 to hit, +0.5 damage; rounded down, the spell is ineffectual. GMF would be half as effective as it would be cast on another creature.

I would then make a counteroffer to that annoying player: don't try to do obnoxious things like this, and maybe I'll let you magic fang animals that have a single "claws" attack.

Otherwise, you get into all sorts of silliness. A squid has ten tentacles; if I magic fang one hand (five fingers), does the squid get five tentacles with MF? If I MF my mouth, then transform into a creature that gets two tusk attacks, are both tusks MFed? Annoy.

Daniel

Mean DM

Explorer
Pielorinho said:
If it were me, I'd restrain the urge to whifflebat the annoying player

In defense of Cappun, he's not annoying and certainly not trying to munchkin my game. It is just one of those annoying rule-questions that my group can't agree one (I take an egalitarian approach to DMing despite my name:)). The problem is with me in that I can not make up my mind on this issue. This is my only flaw, really :D. I am going to invoke DMs privilege to change my mind once again and concede to the wisdom of Pielorinho, CRGreathouse, and SpikeyFreak (who by the way ruled this way back on page 1). One attack only. Sorry Cappun. Can you forgive me?

Mean DM

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If I MF my mouth, then transform into a creature that gets two tusk attacks, are both tusks MFed?

Creatures don't get two tusk attacks, though.

An Elephant or a Boar gets a "gore". A Dire Boar, oddly - despite the description "a dire boar charges its opponents, trying to rip them open with its tusks" - gets a "bite".

But anyway :)

If a druid wildshaped into a squid, and his buddy cast ten Magic Fangs from a wand on his tentacles, then he has 10 MF'd natural attacks (and one bite).

If he then wildshapes to a lion, he only has five natural attacks - claw/claw/rake/rake/bite. Would you allow all of those to be MF'd? Or would the bite not be enchanted, since it's analogous to the bite of the squid, which was left unenchanted?

If he then wildshapes back to a squid, before the duration of the spells expires, would all the tentacles still be enchanted? Or only four (or maybe five) of them?

-Hyp.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Hypersmurf said:

If he then wildshapes to a lion, he only has five natural attacks - claw/claw/rake/rake/bite. Would you allow all of those to be MF'd? Or would the bite not be enchanted, since it's analogous to the bite of the squid, which was left unenchanted?

Head...hurting...must...whifflebat...someone!

Daniel

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Head...hurting...must...whifflebat...someone!

The major problem with the whifflebat is that it doesn't count as a natural attack...

With all the MFs and GMFs floating around this thread, you'd be better off kicking someone in the groin...

-Hyp.

Remove ads