• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic item and identifying

Brian Mccray

First Post
what is the point of the identify spell if you loot a +3 long sword and after a short rest you know it is a +3 longsword (no spell needed).

Or does the Identify spell tell you it is a +3 long sword and you have to rest for 1 hour in order to use it?

Take attunement out of the picture.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Identify also allows the caster to touch a creature in order to identify any spells affecting it (it's the last sentence of the spell description making this easy to miss). There's also the time factor. Identify can be cast in 1 minute if needed as opposed to a short rest which is an hour. However, these uses are very situational.

It could also be that it was simply included due to tradition.

Crothian

First Post
The current version seems more useful against magical traps and the like then magical items. Sure, knowing immediately what a magic item does can be useful. But I see the spell more about learning what a magical statue does, or a magical circle on the floor, or even an NPC that seems to be under magical duress.

MasterTrancer

Explorer
Moreover, correct me if I'm wrong but the Identify spell gives also info on curses on the item, while the short rest does not (or possibly has the PC endure fully the curse).

Coredump

Explorer
I realize this may be based more on nostalgia rather than being 'better' or 'more fun'.... but I miss the days of hoarding every single item/weapon/armor you could come across. Then at the end of the day putting it all in a pile and casting Detect Magic. The few items that would glow you would keep.

Then came the decisions.... did you wait until you could get some 'safe' time so the Magic User could cast Identify a baziilion times... or did you 'risk it' and just put that ring on anyway..... Fortune Favors the Bold!!

Crothian

First Post
but I miss the days of hoarding every single item/weapon/armor you could come across. Then at the end of the day putting it all in a pile and casting Detect Magic. The few items that would glow you would keep.

How would you carry all those items though? From just a few goblin encounters you might find a dozen javelins, short sword, maybe some shields. I remember those days to.

Then came the decisions.... did you wait until you could get some 'safe' time so the Magic User could cast Identify a baziilion times... or did you 'risk it' and just put that ring on anyway..... Fortune Favors the Bold!!

Well, the game has changed. Even with all these changes D&D is still too much like OD&D for some people. For some people it has changed too much from its roots. That's got to be a frustrating line to try to walk for the developers.

S

Sunseeker

The way I use it, Identify gives you detailed information on the object by essentially magically extracting said information from the item. Ancient runes become translated, magically, the history of the item is transmitted from the items perspective to your brain (the important parts). The "short rest examination" is an unaided, non-magical attempt to discern those properties yourself, but you're still not going to be able to read the magic runes or know the history of the item (if it has one). It also won't tell you if the item is cursed or sentient.

aramis erak

Legend
what is the point of the identify spell if you loot a +3 long sword and after a short rest you know it is a +3 longsword (no spell needed).

Or does the Identify spell tell you it is a +3 long sword and you have to rest for 1 hour in order to use it?

Take attunement out of the picture.

Because, without identify, if it's a cursed sword, you're STUCK with it. I did that to a player. A +1 Cursed Longsword. he couldn't use any other weapon nor unattune to it until he'd had a remove curse cast upon him.

Ranes

Adventurer
I realize this may be based more on nostalgia rather than being 'better' or 'more fun'.... but I miss the days of hoarding every single item/weapon/armor you could come across. Then at the end of the day putting it all in a pile and casting Detect Magic. The few items that would glow you would keep.

This is the kind of change (and every edition brings changes like this) that comes about, because an increasing proportion of D&D's players - and perhaps more importantly, designers - have played a lot of D&D in the past. To many such players, those things they once found interesting (solving the logistical challenge of bringing all those copper pieces or all that valuable but heavy furniture out of the low level dungeon) or exciting and mysterious (casting detect magic and identify to isolate and evaluate magical weapons and other items) they now consider mundane. Such challenges are more likely to be seen as tiresome speed bumps on the road to ultimate PC ascension. We, the players, have long since found the perfect solution to that issue (even if our new characters haven't).

Players new to the game today are much more likely than new players of the last generation to have encountered D&D-inspired computer RPGs. In these the identification of magical items is often automatic or at least trivial and quickly accomplished. Many of these players would consider relatively prolonged engagement in such activities as quaint, at best. To begin with, that is. Soon it would simply become tiresome, as it apparently has done for many veteran D&D players.

Well, the game has changed. Even with all these changes D&D is still too much like OD&D for some people. For some people it has changed too much from its roots. That's got to be a frustrating line to try to walk for the developers.

Oh, I'm sure it is. Here's what I wish they'd do. I wish they would be more conservative with changes to the rules that arise from wanting to provide convenience to experienced players or new players whose prior game experience might be primarily computer-related (and I play just as many computer games as tabletop games, so that's not a slur).

I think, for D&D to be the classic RPG, it should constantly and consistently offer new players the kinds of challenges and rewards that experienced players so often fondly recall. Because the fondly remembered things that new editions exorcise on the altar of appeal to the lowest common denominator are sometimes the very things that have made (and still make) D&D so great and so unlike anything else.

Last edited:

Zaran

Adventurer
I did not pick up the Identify spell on my wizard and have regretted it because there have been at least two situations where I could have used it to analyze some magic my group encountered. Yeah it might be a little redundant for identifying magical items but there are other uses as has been pointed out earlier.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads