• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item: Blue Dragon Helm

Mistah J

First Post
Long story short: I have a PC playing a dragon shaman (lvl 9) and would like to create a special magic item for her to try and pursue (she's playing up the greedy aspects of her draconic heritage).

So my basic premise is a helmet, made from Blue Dragon scales that grant some abilities based off the Blue Dragon, or maybe just dragons in general.

I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas on what those should be, here's what I've come up with so far:

- The Sound Mimicry ability of Blue Dragons
- Frightful Presence
- Keen Dragon Senses

My problem here is that as a Dragon Shaman, with most of her feats dedicated to the various Draconic ones available in the Draconomicon, Races of the Dragon, and Dragon Magic - she has, or will have, a lot of dragon like powers anyway.

What other kinds of abilities can you think of that might fit a Blue Dragon theme? I'm looking for things not normally available to characters through feats and PrC's and the like.

Since this item is probably going to be the PC's defining or crowning piece of gear (I doubt she'll ever give it up for another headslot item) it can be a pretty powerful item (though I'm going to draw the line at artifact level magic).

Thanks for your help.

Andre

First Post
How about the ability to summon a blue dragon (age category dependent on character level or some other limit). Make it a manifestation of the original blue dragon that crafted the helm, or cooperated in its crafting.

If you want to make things interesting, add a chance that every time the dragon is manifested, the manifestation could become a real, living blue dragon, with its own agenda. The character could discover this over time, making the choice of summoning the dragon more interesting.

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'll recommend the same thing I did for an NPC in a previous game of mine.

Blooded Helm of Dragonkind
This helmet (or whatever) grants the wearer the full benefits of the Half-Dragon template while worn.

Optionally (and I assume Dragon Shamans get abilities like Half-Dragons), you could allow the acquisition of the Bloodline for whatever dragon you chose.

In your case, it could be the Blue Dragon (although it appears that the Blue Dragon only has an Intermediate bloodline) or, if you want to go for more abilities, go Gold/Silver/Red and tweak for flavour.

Bloodlines can be found in the Unearthed Arcana, or on The Hypertext d20 SRD (v3.5 d20 System Reference Document) :: d20srd.org.

Mistah J

First Post
This is what I came up with:

SAPPHIRE HELM

Aura strong transmutation; CL 15th​
Slot head; Price ???? Weight 3lbs.

Resembling the head of a blue dragon, this ornate helmet has wide frills along its sides and a sturdy horn that juts from the nose plate. The deep blue helm is made from real scales that not only protects the wearer, but also grants the power and presence of a dragon.

A character with the Dragonblood subtype who wears the sapphire helm gains the following:

A +2 enhancement bonus to natural armour.
A +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma.

Sound imitation (Su): The wearer can mimic any voice or sound it has heard. Listeners must succeed on a Will save (DC = 10 +1/2 wearer's HD + wearer's Cha Mod.) to detect the ruse.

Frightful Presence (Su): This ability takes effect automatically whenever the wearer attacks, charges, or flies overhead. Creatures that can see the wearer and are within a radius equal to 5 x 1/2 the wearer's HD are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the wearer. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC = 10 +1/2 wearer's HD + wearer's Cha Mod.) remains immune to the frightful presence of the helm's wearer for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds while those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Creatures who are immune to the frightful presence of dragons are immune to this effect.
-----

Thoughts? I'm not really sure how to price this thing so some feedback there would be nice. I am also thinking that if the game proceeds long enough, the PC may unlock further abilities, depending on interest, sidequests, etc.

dragonis111

First Post
Well if you look in the book weapons of legend, players who find a weapon(or other legendary item) must peform rituals to unluck powers, and need to be higher levels to unlock more powers of the item, so you could do that, your helmet could eventually allow your player to transform into a blue dragon(age and size dependent on level) temporarily. I once made made a pair of gold dragon gauntlents like this for my friend's paladin, which have him greater resistance to fire, better spellcasting, better aura of courage, and he could transform his hands and arms into dragon claws, should he find himself unarmed.(he unlocked the powers in those gauntelnts at different level intervals of 5, 10, and 15.) hope this helps.

Remove ads