• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Daily slots

Can someone explain, in plain terms, exactly what happens with magic item power slots?

Let's say I have a magic weapon with a daily power, magic armor with a daily power, and magic boots with a daily power. Which one of these is true?

A) I can use each item's power and then have to rest to recharge them.

B) I can use one of their powers, and then I can't use any of them until I rest to recharge.

C) Something else.

Also, how does the milestone recharge mechanic work?

Dizlag

Explorer
At the heroic tier you can use 1 daily magic item slot and gain 1 per milestone throughout your adventuring day. At paragon tier, it's 2 daily magic item slots and epic it is 3.

The answer to your question is C) Something else. If you are heroic tier, you can use one of the daily powers from your magic armor OR your magic boots. Say you use the power from your armor, you'll then have to complete a milestone to use your daily power from your magic boots for the day. If you are paragon tier, you can use both daily powers before completing a milestone.

Dizlag

edit: PHB reference - page 226 under "Daily".

Griogre

First Post
Sorry can't look at the PH now. Let me see if I can get this right from memory.

It depends on whether the character is on the heroic, paragon or epic tier. At heroic you only get one magic item daily, two at paragon, three at epic.

So at heroic you could use one of your items "daily". Milestones refresh your ability to use a different item's daily but you can never use the same items daily before an extented rest.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I have a related question: does the first use of a "healing surge" power from a magic item count as a use of a daily power?

Stogoe

First Post
I have a related question: does the first use of a "healing surge" power from a magic item count as a use of a daily power?

Only the 'daily' powers of a magic item count towards the Daily cap. You can use the Encounter powers once per fight, and the Healing Surge ones as often as you want to spend a surge.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Only the 'daily' powers of a magic item count towards the Daily cap. You can use the Encounter powers once per fight, and the Healing Surge ones as often as you want to spend a surge.
The first usage of a "healing surge" power is for free though. If they don't count as a daily power, a character could use an unlimited number of such items in a day.

Danceofmasks

First Post
You start with one use, like a daily power .. but, they're in a different category of power.
The rules limiting # of daily slots is under the daily section.

ravenight

First Post
The first usage of a "healing surge" power is for free though. If they don't count as a daily power, a character could use an unlimited number of such items in a day.

But then all those items would be unusable until the player put a healing surge into them. There isn't a balance problem there. If the DM wants to let the player spend a week charging up a massive array of healing surge items, lug them all with him on a cart and then go through them in combat I doubt there's much of a problem. In most cases, the powers themselves won't be that much stronger than something else that could be done with the action they cost anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads