• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Names

IcyCool

First Post
I'm a big fan of named magic items. In fact, after they reach a certain level of potency, I require all magic items in my campaign to be named. I'd like to know who else out there has some fun, named magic items in their campaign. Post them here for us to enjoy!

Here's a couple from my current game:

The Scales of Govraxyllix - +2 Amulet of Natural Armor
Rithin's Everflowing Waterskin
Rithin's Berry Pouch
Staff of Oblivion
Compass of the Ages
Nebek's Armor - +1 Studded Leather of Shadow
The Mournstar - +1 Giant Bane Morningstar

ThirdWizard

First Post
Weapon Names:
Stone Ender
Devilreapre
Beastslaughter
Death Dealer
Light-Forged
Chaz (okay that one was ripped off)

I have more in my old campaign notes... um... somewhere. A few campaigns ago, I had ever item named, history recorded, and everything. I should get back to doing that again.

Warrior Poet

Explorer
From the last campaign I DMed:

The Ruin Wave: +3 Chaotic Greataxe.

Can't remember the others off-hand, as my notes aren't close by. If I think of more later, I'll post them.

Warrior Poet

JimAde

First Post
Ligetsleht Banseaxen - A pair of +1 shortswords made from the horns of a blue dragon. When they are used together they become +2 and one becomes Shocking Burst while the other becomes Thundering. The name means roughly "Thunderbolt Bone Blades" in Old English, which I use as the model language for one of the nations in my game.

Routainen Kuolinisku - A +2 Frost greataxe. The name roughly means "Frozen Death-Stroke".

The_Gneech

Explorer
I have a pair of items I keep wanting to bring into the game but haven't yet, a paired rapier and dagger named "Shout" and "Whisper."

"Shout" is a +2 rapier that does +1d6 sonic damage; on its hilt is engraved "Death comes as a shout." It constantly hums quietly, not unlike a lightsaber, giving a permanent -2 penalty to Move Silently checks.

"Whisper" is a +2 dagger that casts silence 2x/day and has a magical sound-dampening effect that gives a permanent +2 bonus to Move Silently checks; on its hilt is engraved "Death comes as a whisper."

-The Gneech :cool:

Chaldfont

First Post
The Augenrung -- a circlet that dominates a specific doppelganger assassin and allows the user to scry on it once per day.

The Eyeshackles -- An iron band locked around the wearer's eyes, rendering him blind. Failed attempts to pick the lock result in Wisdom damage to the picker and the wearer. There are two sets--the master and slave shackles. The master shackles allow the wearer to scry on and dominate the wearer of the slave shackles. IMC, the slave shackle wearer was a PC who learned to turn the tables on the BBEG wearing the master shackles. They would have contests of Will to determine who was the master. These are a generalized improvement on the magicks of the Augenrung

Sorynn's Silent Ram -- a magical portable ram with a command-activated silence affect. Named after the PC who created it.

The Iron Skulls of Xagyg -- Six iron skulls used for security. In game turns they are animated objects with flight and the ability to bite off a finger, toe, ear, nose, eye, etc on a critical.

Fell Contract of Xego -- a magical parchment that, when inscribed with a contract, binds the signers with a geas to complete the contract.

ForceUser

Explorer
Caveat: I steal names sometimes. Some named weapons in various campaigns include:

Cluracan's Dagger, +1 bronze flamberge dagger, darkness 1/day
The Coils of Dauntan, +1 constricting whip
Frostmourne, +1 intelligent cold iron undeadbane greatsword
Glimmer, +1 small mithral shortspear
Maedrothos, Sword of Fate, +2 empathic mithral axiomatic longsword
Mage Reaver, +1 greatsword of spell resistance
Nail, +1 short sword
Namarra, +2 keen longsword
Oathbreaker, +1 adamantine glaive
Seethur's Doom, +2 adamantine holy giantbane warhammer (dwarven thrower)
Wightrazor, +1 vampiric rapier

rkwoodard

First Post
a couple of named items

The cham and the veil. The veil was a minor artifact level crystal ball, mostly good at fortress level defense. The charm was a pendant that allowed the wearer to control the charm and access some of the minor powers at a distance.

Numerous swords. Notably Windwing, a holy frostbrand sword, and Gelder, a sword that could detect male humanoids and got a +2 vs male humanoids. It was weilded by a enuch at a harem of course.

NewLifeForm

First Post
From assorted past campaigns...

The Sword Unseen - Hilt with no blade. If you believe there is a blade, it can hurt you
Blue Dragon's Cross- Holy Avenger long sword with lightning powers
In-Vestments- Cleric's robe that doubles any contribution to his church
SageQuery Bow- When an arrow from the bow hits it reveals 1d4 facts about target
Dark Daily Down- Wand that curses target w/ bad luck on the same day every week
Samaritan Sword- +3, Crits at X3 if used to defend an innocent - otherwise normal
Cryer's Cowl- Enables shouts of wearer to be heard 3 miles away
Sprittle Brach Newnyon- Intelligent Spear-Gnome Design-Mocks Wielder
Bane of Brigand Band Wiley- Powder sprinkled about-Walking over it makes loud noise*

*also known as Padfoot Pain Powder

I despise run of the mill Magic Items :p

NewLifeForm

Zym

First Post
My current character has the following:

Natures Will - Necklace of Natural Weapons: +1 (3 Atks), of Wisdom +2

Strikebreaker - Gemstone of Light Fortification (Ruby)

Mystral's Mantle - Mantle of Resistance +3, of Elvenkind

Sandle Wraps of Stealth - Boots of Elvenkind

I enjoy the unique names of items that are enchanted above the norm as well as deviations from the standard for certain items based on style or effect.

Remove ads