• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Magic Item Purchasing is in the DMG

Going to be in the DM's guide.

Mike Mearls AMA:We give a baseline of how many items are typical for a campaign, plus guidelines for creating higher level characters and their typical gear.
There are price ranges based on level for items, plus guidelines for buying and selling items.

mcbobbo

Explorer
I would expect those guidelines to be along the same lines as his advice in that same AMA. " The key for me as DM is to avoid giving the players a blank check - for magic items, I'd have them create a list of ones they want to buy, then incorporate that into the game as a key event (someone sells them a treasure map to one, someone else will take a bribe to help steal one, etc - keep it fresh rather than making it feel like a trip to the corner store)."

Paraxis

Explorer
This was expected as far as I was aware, so not a surprise. I want something more complex, but I assume it will be along the lines of what was in the playtest.

Rarity
Magic item rarity serves several purposes in the game. An item’s rarity provides a rough measure of the strength of the magic in the item as compared to other magic items. If your campaign allows for trade in magic items, rarity can help you set prices for them. Rarity also gives you a sense of how likely characters are to find a particular item, given the characters’ level. All that said, rarity shouldn't get in the way of your storytelling. If you allow a ring of invisibility to fall into the hands of a 1st-­‐level character, then so be it. It might be an enjoyable feature of your campaign.

A magic item has one of six different levels of rarity, from most to least available: common, uncommon, rare, very rare, legendary, and artifact. The closer an item’s rarity is to artifact, the less numerous such items become. Most legendary items and all artifacts are unique.

MAGIC ITEM RARITY
Rarity Min. Level Item Value
Common 2 50–100 gp
Uncommon 3 100–500 gp
Rare 5 500–5,000 gp
Very rare 7 5,000–10,000 gp
Legendary 9 10,000–50,000 gp
Artifact 11 50,000+ gp

Min. Level: The item should be in the hoard or possession of a creature of this level or higher.
Item Value: The recommended amount that the item is worth, in gold pieces.

Remove ads