Magic Item Rarity List

MrMyth

First Post
From an in-character perspective, the term doesn't apply very well at all.

There are no common items, just items.

I suppose I simply disagree. Now, yes, you have a point that every setting and campaign may be different. But I think the goal here is that characters do indeed recognize some items as common compared to others.

"Sure, enchanters all over the kingdom know how to make magic swords. And yeah, everyone's heard of elves and their magic cloaks that let them fade into the woods. But you say you have a sword that shoots boulders? Wow! I've never heard of that before!"

How true such things are will vary from setting to setting. But clearly the goal is that there is in-character recognition of common items, and it certainly fits with the genre and past versions of the game. It's just that, in the past, how 'common' an item was tied into its price more than anything else. Now, it's tied to something else instead.

I think if WotC had this system in place from the start, most of these issues wouldn't exist. It all has come about from trying to force it into place on an existing system without having yet provided full support for the new system.

But again - all that aside, the term is certainly reasonable in character. Common items are ones that many adventurers often have, that average folk have heard of, etc. Uncommon ones might be largely unknown, or more limited in lore, or just the stuff of folk tales or legends. And rare items will be truly mythic in scope, much like artifacts.

(Which, again, I think WotC has undercut by tossing the system out when they had so few good examples. Gauntlets of Ogre Power really don't seem appropriate for that. Whereas the recent Dragon article on the Ring of Winter, Orbs of Dragonkind, etc - that shows a better look at the picture.)

KarinsDad

Adventurer
So the army has 200x(+1 Magic Sword), 1x(+1 Inspiring Sword), 1x(+2 Frost Sword), 1x(+2 Flaming Sword) and 1x(+1 Predatory Sword). So which do you think is the "common item"? Not hard to understand from an IC point of view, If a player wants to make/buy a common item it is easy to find someone to sell it to him/her or to tell him/her how it is made. If it is an uncommon item it may take a month or two just to track down someone who knows how to make it, and then you may find the ingredients needed are just as tricky to locate.

Except that this would make more sense if the list had good in character rationales for which items are common and which are uncommon.

The PCs are basing their knowledge soley off of game mechanics in this case (something which I just have a personal dislike for).

Your example on the surface sounds logical when one is comparing +1 magic swords with absolutely any other magic sword with more utility. Let's take your example with a different magic item.

Veteran's Armor

NPCs rarely have action points.

Your army with 100 suits of Veteran's Armor is now suddenly illogical. Why is armor that gives a bonus common when the occurance of that bonus is extremely rare, almost non-existent?

My main in character beef with the system is not that the PCs cannot know which is which, but rather WHY they know which is which. It's common or uncommon SOLELY because of which list WotC put it on, not because of any real in character rationale.

Which is also one of the reasons why I kind of like my house rule. Magic items with any sort of power (i.e. activation) are uncommon. This has a good in character explanation. If you have to activate the item, then it's too complex for most crafters to make.

Easy. Simple. And it has a good in character explanation.

The current WotC list? Not so much.

PC: "Why is Veteran's armor easy to make?"
NPC crafter: "Cause it is."
PC: "And what's an Action Point?"
NPC crafter: "Go away kid, you bother me."

Remove ads