• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic item rarity revision forthcoming?

Marshall

First Post
And everyone wishes they could trade the story-infused junk you've given them for a pair.

The solution to the IAoP problem is to effectively destroy them, not to leave them in the game and say that only some people are allowed to have them. Halving their bonus and only allowing them to apply on at-will attacks might be a good start.

....or creating other arm-slot items that are worth as much to different styles of PCs. As-is, even defensive focused characters cant find a shield or other arm slot item that is competitive to +2 damage per tier. Its not totally that IAoP are so good, its more that the other items are so AWFUL.

And everyone wishes they could trade the story-infused junk you've given them for a pair.

The solution to the IAoP problem is to effectively destroy them, not to leave them in the game and say that only some people are allowed to have them. Halving their bonus and only allowing them to apply on at-will attacks might be a good start.

It really isn't an issue as long as in general the PCs have reasonably equivalent items. The cleric may have a Brooch of Healing, the melee ranger may have IAoP, etc. Yes some specific items stand out to a certain extent, but other items exist which have utility equivalent to an IAoP, so it really is no big deal. Also as long as your game isn't entirely focused on vanilla combat encounters there are a WIDE range of items that can have a very significant effect on a regular basis, such as the various high quality skill boosting items, etc. Obviously if you focus too much on only one dimension of the game then items that are particularly effective in those situations will have excessive value. The designers of the game can't really be held accountable for that.

And if you simply think IAoP are impossible to balance with any other item in your game then don't give them out, pure and simple. Give out some other useful arms slot item or a shield, etc.

Ghost0

First Post
I think the essentials item rarity is moving in the right direction to preserve more excitement over extraordinary things found.

I'm curious about a few things though:
1/ if you can't make items other than common ones with Enchant Magic Item, what is all your gold for? Making more common items? That list of common items is quite short for that. I can see upgrading uncommon and rare items, but isn't that kind of lame? Isn't gaining gold supposed to be an outlet for further customizing your character?

2/ I haven't seen them but could have overlooked, but are there rules for starting a character at a higher level? Presuming that 13th level character has been adventuring for some time, shouldn't they have some uncommons and at least one rare item in their arsenal?

I think the essentials item rarity is moving in the right direction to preserve more excitement over extraordinary things found.

I'm curious about a few things though:
1/ if you can't make items other than common ones with Enchant Magic Item, what is all your gold for? Making more common items? That list of common items is quite short for that. I can see upgrading uncommon and rare items, but isn't that kind of lame? Isn't gaining gold supposed to be an outlet for further customizing your character?

2/ I haven't seen them but could have overlooked, but are there rules for starting a character at a higher level? Presuming that 13th level character has been adventuring for some time, shouldn't they have some uncommons and at least one rare item in their arsenal?

Well, you can use the gold however you want. I'd expect a bit more use of rituals and consumable items. There's still plenty of scope for making items, just not a lot of variety in what you'll make. The DM could quite easily allow certain specific uncommon or rare items to be crafted on a one-time basis.

Nope, there are no rules in Essentials for starting above level 1 AFAIK. Presumably you could go with the DMG1 rules for that since wealth is the same overall. The DM would presumably have a large say in what items the character gets.

Ghost0

First Post
Also, I know it's agreed that uncommon and rare items cannot be crafted with the EMI ritual…as per Mike Mearls in the recent Dragon Mag, right? When they provided the rules updates for Essentials, why did they not clarify this?
(again, I may have overlooked it, but it does not seem to be explicitly in the rules, only in Mearls' article)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
....or creating other arm-slot items that are worth as much to different styles of PCs. As-is, even defensive focused characters cant find a shield or other arm slot item that is competitive to +2 damage per tier. Its not totally that IAoP are so good, its more that the other items are so AWFUL.
(Paragon) Counterstrike Guards are pretty good for a primarily ranged character who has a decent basic melee attack (and who does not use a bow), but how often does that happen? It's not bad, but it's still very much a niche item.

If you don't expect to make many melee attacks, then getting +1 melee attack per encounter is better than getting +4 damage per melee attack.

Cheers, -- N

Also, I know it's agreed that uncommon and rare items cannot be crafted with the EMI ritual…as per Mike Mearls in the recent Dragon Mag, right? When they provided the rules updates for Essentials, why did they not clarify this?
(again, I may have overlooked it, but it does not seem to be explicitly in the rules, only in Mearls' article)

Eh, it isn't really quite that clear cut. EMI itself says you can make anything, that hasn't changed. In fact the update they DID make to EMI after Essentials came out pointedly didn't include any language like that. In the magic item section of the RC there is a statement that says PCs can't normally make or purchase these items, but that leaves it an open question. I think clearly the idea is uncommon items can't simply be crafted via EMI, but that doesn't mean ways don't exist, and the rules do hint that they can be made under the right circumstances.

I don't think they WANT to clarify it. I think they want to make sure it is left to the DM to decide exactly how it works in his or her game.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Eh, it isn't really quite that clear cut. EMI itself says you can make anything, that hasn't changed. In fact the update they DID make to EMI after Essentials came out pointedly didn't include any language like that. In the magic item section of the RC there is a statement that says PCs can't normally make or purchase these items, but that leaves it an open question. I think clearly the idea is uncommon items can't simply be crafted via EMI, but that doesn't mean ways don't exist, and the rules do hint that they can be made under the right circumstances.

I don't think they WANT to clarify it. I think they want to make sure it is left to the DM to decide exactly how it works in his or her game.
Bleah. In every real sense, it was already always up to every individual DM to decide, but it sure would be nice if there were some guidance from WotC on how to use their system.

Another bleah: this brings back the social engineering "play the DM" mini-game.

A third bleah: this makes the passive-aggressive route the default for prohibited items. You mysteriously can't find the ingredients for the creation ritual! And you don't seem to find the item, even though it's on your wish list!

There's nothing wrong with giving the DM all the power he already had, but there's something wrong with the social dynamics encouraged by this particular indecisiveness.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads